Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #5746
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Οn the subject of Robbie's bitching and the role of the navigator, here's my favorite, Giniel:
couldn't see that vid on F5 but watched it on youtube....

i have to say giniel is becoming one of my favourite people in the dakar... even if he is a sarf efrikan! seems like genuinely nice calm and level headed guy....
Old 01-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #5747
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgunther View Post
Yeah, actually just a friend. Hard to believe, eh? =)
very hard to believe you'd let "just a friend" interrupt the dakar!!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #5748
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Okay, here we go!

ASS times open over here

hang on tight people, today is gonna be a long one

Still another 1 2/3 hrs for the start of the special or am I going to be late for another f*****g "meeting"?
too old is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #5749
yammie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgunther View Post
Yeah, actually just a friend. Hard to believe, eh? =)
Yeah..
yammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 AM   #5750
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Still another 1 2/3 hrs for the start of the special or am I going to be late for another f*****g "meeting"?
yeah, unfortunately. And I have a bloody meeting again in exactly 1.5 hours. Tempted to reschedule, oh so tempted

Just need to figure out how I can time it to coincide with the neutralised section
Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #5751
yammie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Cancel it!!
yammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #5752
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Craig Bounds

Just read this on MCN UK

"
On the flip side to Formanís success, Malle Moto rider Craig Bounds suffered a heavy crash when a Quad rider crossed his path leaving him with serious neck and back pain. Despite his huge crash, Bounds heroically made it to the end of the stage posting the 76th fastest time.
He said: ďI was riding well on the stage and making good progress until the crash. I was in a gully and there was a stationary Quad in front of me. Just as I went to pass him, he fired across my path. I tried to avoid him but must have caught it with my foot peg and ended up cartwheeling down the gully.
ďIíve been to the medical centre for X-rays and have been told that Iíve got a serious compression on my spine and Iíve been told not to ride. The plan is to carry on working on my bike so that itís ready and see if itís possible tomorrow. I canít believe my luck, but I guess itís one of those things.Ē
"

frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:12 AM   #5753
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyuk View Post
Just read this on MCN UK

"
On the flip side to Formanís success, Malle Moto rider Craig Bounds suffered a heavy crash when a Quad rider crossed his path leaving him with serious neck and back pain. Despite his huge crash, Bounds heroically made it to the end of the stage posting the 76th fastest time.
He said: ďI was riding well on the stage and making good progress until the crash. I was in a gully and there was a stationary Quad in front of me. Just as I went to pass him, he fired across my path. I tried to avoid him but must have caught it with my foot peg and ended up cartwheeling down the gully.
ďIíve been to the medical centre for X-rays and have been told that Iíve got a serious compression on my spine and Iíve been told not to ride. The plan is to carry on working on my bike so that itís ready and see if itís possible tomorrow. I canít believe my luck, but I guess itís one of those things.Ē
"

Damn. Was really rooting for Craig, Malle Moto and all this year. Spinal compression does not sound good, especially bumping around on a bike in that terrain

Old 01-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #5754
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Quote:
Just read this on MCN UK

"
"

bugger.... hope he made it this morning...
Old 01-10-2013, 02:20 AM   #5755
ararat
Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer: 1,906
Quote:
Just read this on MCN UK

"
On the flip side to Forman’s success, Malle Moto rider Craig Bounds suffered a heavy crash when a Quad rider crossed his path leaving him with serious neck and back pain. Despite his huge crash, Bounds heroically made it to the end of the stage posting the 76th fastest time.
He said: “I was riding well on the stage and making good progress until the crash. I was in a gully and there was a stationary Quad in front of me. Just as I went to pass him, he fired across my path. I tried to avoid him but must have caught it with my foot peg and ended up cartwheeling down the gully.
“I’ve been to the medical centre for X-rays and have been told that I’ve got a serious compression on my spine and I’ve been told not to ride. The plan is to carry on working on my bike so that it’s ready and see if it’s possible tomorrow. I can’t believe my luck, but I guess it’s one of those things.”
"

Holy Guacamole...
S$%^&t luck
Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #5756
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Dakar.com

Casteu on the road
The winner of yesterday's stage, David Casteu, is opening the road today in front of his countryman Olivier Pain and Spaniard Juan Pedrero Garcia. The 151 bikes authorised to start today will ride 291 km of link stage before tackling 455 km of special stage, with the bivouac at Calama as their destination.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #5757
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Stan Watt & Tim Forman update after yesterday's stage:

Crescent KTM and Front Row GB continue to make an impression
The Crescent KTM and Front Row GB team of Stan Watt and Tim Forman had another strong day as the 2013 Dakar completed its fifth stage with both men now in the top-40.

In what was a relatively short timed special of just 136km followed by a 275km liaison stage both men rode well to improve on their positions in the overall race standings. For the second day, the highest placed rider was Forman, who continued to show his pace onboard the Crescent prepared KTM rally bike. The 34-year-old was just six seconds off a top-30 position, finishing the stage in 31st place, 17m48s behind the fastest man of the day and stage winner David Casteau. The result seeís Forman continue to climb up the leader board with the Welshman now holding 37th overall.

Watt put in another solid day to claim 42nd position on the stage. The incredibly consistent Irishman has been rewarded for his efforts by moving further up the leader board. He now holds 33rd overall with five of the 14 stages complete. Stage six will see riders face a 291km liaison followed by a gruelling 455km timed special and then a final 22km liaison.
Tim Forman: ďThat was the most enjoyable day of riding so far. It was a real mix of fine sand, fast trails, small tracks and some real technical stuff. There were people stuck on the climbs and people ploughing into the fine sand and going over the handlebars. I was just taking my time, having a look around before trying to get up the big climbs and as a result I was able to choose my line and I didnít get stuck at all. I know how heavy the bike is, so getting stuck or falling off isnít really an option for me!Ē
Stan Watt: ďI didnít get off to a good start. There were some really sandy climbs with rocks in them and I ended up crashing twice due to all the dust from other riders. I ended up having to go back down to the bottom and do it again which cost me a lot of time. There were some really rough stages, tracks with lots of rocks and I was able to pass quite a few of the riders that passed me on the earlier climbs. Iím happy with my overall position, now the aim is to try and get into the top 30 by the rest day.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 AM   #5758
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Still havent found time to catch up
But here is the email from INGO's wife

Hia everyone

I have to say...Ēthird time is the charmĒ Ė well, for me that is.. I am finding this Dakar a lot less stress full than the last two. I have learnt NOT to hover over the waypoints till i see him through them... instead- i walk away and do other things- coming back in the time that i expect him to be showing up. Man it is working for me..
I do believe Ė I have found the Dakar fever cure ... J and saved myself a lot of heart beat skips/stops

Todayís stage Ė saw 156 bikers off... with 25 already dropped out. With Ingo is starting position 61 into a stage that could be described as a landscape of changes... with dunes... rocky tracks.. river beds and Valleyís.
274km of that being racing and 136km of connection route. One tends to forget how long and boring ( and tiring ) the long connections routes are for the guys. If you can remember .. Ingo finished Tuesday race stage @ 18h20 ( our time) and only phoned home 6 hours later...when he got into the biviac.
We all sigh a breath of relief once we see he is at the finish for the day.. forgetting, that he still has hours in the saddle before he can get off the bike and say he is actually finished for the day.
Itís one of Ingoís ďDakar donít likesĒ - the long ( speed limited) connection stages.

He phoned in just after 23h00- sounding chirpy and happy- saying it was a short but very tough stage.
He says the fesh fesh in the beginning was horrible- with the extra soft sand, knee deep. If his bike ďdug inĒ to it, the whole wheel was under sand. ďman it was hardĒ he kept saying.
The navigation was very tricky today.. trying to ďcatch the guys outĒ where ever they could. He says he lost a bit of time by taking on a mnt from the wrong side.. there was a short cut up the mountain.. which he didnít see and struggled to get up it Ėthen tackling the down side of it was hard.. very rocky.
But on the bright side..made up time on another mountain.. where it looked like most guys had taken the right hand side route.. he opted for the left- getting up it- in one shot. says he saw guys flipping their quads on that mountain (thatís how steep it was)

As in the previous Dakarís with our dude.. his first fall was Ė well not even a fall.. he just tipped over- saying his legs are to damn short ( guess we aint solving that problem any time soon)
Says his famous boom bum problemís way better today.. Doctored it and slept ďin the nickĒ last night. mmmm am just thinking....., if one huge sand storm ever had to hit a biviac in the early hours of the morning taking tents with it..... am guessing it would be a sight for sore eyes ( and sore boom bums )

Orange service team is doing amazingly well so far... with David in overall 39th after todayís stage and Ingo 48th. (this is at 00h05...so can guess it will stay like this )

Stage 6 (Thursday) takes them on a 455km special stage through Chile- from Arica to Calama. Bikes starting 08h45. If i am not mistaken.. Chile is 2 hours ahead of Peru.. so take this in consideration when you want to start tracking. But pls double check..i am speaking under correction and sleep deprivation .

Yesterday- Brett Cummings (south African #89) dropped in positions after towing in his fellow team mate, Todd Smith for 28km of the race stage and then 130km of the connection stage. In doing this- almost blowing his own engine-he says it was the toughest stage so far. ( guess towing dead weight for 158km will take it out of you) but this just shows Ėteam work.. sportsmanship... is what this race is all about.

Unfortunately i canít give you any more Ingo info- as his sat phone credit run up in mid call-
Just that- all is well in Dakar Land for #101

Thumbs up and fingers crossed for #101
Proudly Namibian
Lisa and Zoe

Hosting the pics for Nitro. Here's one he sent me a couple of hours ago:

Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #5759
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,756
Quote:
Just read this on MCN UK

"
"
Holy mother of God .. Not good news, spinal compression is usually a no go ...
Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #5760
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Weird. Over here Barreda reseeded to 42nd (not very generous compared to other reseedings), but Fish not reseeded and listed as starting in 141st

Politics or just a screw up?