User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #46
zen rider
veteran rider

Oddometer: 207
Motorcycle Ergonomics website is a great tool

The following link lets you virtually sit on almost any make and model of motorcycle based on your actual height, inseam, and many other custom features (such as lower or higher seat, bar risers, etc). It also allows you to see knee bend (important for taller riders) with feet on pegs or feel off the pegs to see if you can flat foot. Super cool for comparing several models.

But also consider the reality that most dirt bike riders hardly ever flat foot a bike, though these bikes are much lighter. The lighter the bike, the less important it is to flat foot in my opinion. A taller bike relative to your height may offer more leg room and therefore more long range comfort. The width and height of saddles and lowering links (dog bones) should be considered "variables" that allow for further customization.

Try this link:

http://www.cycle-ergo.com

zen rider screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 12:03 PM
zen rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #47
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 2,000
I'm 5'4" at 145lbs with a 28" inseam and ride a V-Strom 1000 at stock height. I've rode a stock KLX400/DRZ400 and that's definitely a high horse. You just need to learn to work yourself around the bike when it comes to a stop. Height doesn't matter when the bike is in motion.

If you need to plant both feet at a stop, get a cruiser.

Take the advice if this is your first bike and don't let your ego get in your way. I can guarantee you you'll trash a brand new sport bike without having experience. I've seen it all the time being in the military. Happens like clockwork when Private Muldoon saved up a years worth of base pay while deployed just to come home, dump it into a GSXR, and then get himself killed because he had no idea how to ride the damn thing.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #48
The Roadie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmccann View Post
I've been interested in an Aprila Shiver 750 but I'm starting to worry if it will be too tall. Now, the common suggestion would be to simply go and try it out but it's a 5 hour drive to the nearest dealership and I need to have some more insight before I spend the time for the trip.

The bike in question is a 2009 Aprilia Shiver 750. Although, I am also open to other suggestions. I'll be using the bike on the highway and around town, as my primary means of transportation. I weigh around 160 and my height is around 5' 4"/5' 5"

Thanks in adv.
I would say any excuse for a weekend bike trip.. Take a weekend to go to the dealer, and see if you can find some cool backroads on the way. Either way you wouldn't lose.. I mean youre riding to go see more bikes!
The Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #49
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
If you can find one a Moto Guzzi Breva 750 with the low seat.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #50
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen rider View Post
The following link lets you virtually sit on almost any make and model of motorcycle based on your actual height, inseam, and many other custom features (such as lower or higher seat, bar risers, etc). It also allows you to see knee bend (important for taller riders) with feet on pegs or feel off the pegs to see if you can flat foot. Super cool for comparing several models.

But also consider the reality that most dirt bike riders hardly ever flat foot a bike, though these bikes are much lighter. The lighter the bike, the less important it is to flat foot in my opinion. A taller bike relative to your height may offer more leg room and therefore more long range comfort. The width and height of saddles and lowering links (dog bones) should be considered "variables" that allow for further customization.

Try this link:

I've looked at it before & it shows my feet touching-when they don't- so it works better to just research the bike of interest ?
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #51
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,302
As someone else said, SV650. Plenty of power, lot's of used ones out there. Buy a used one, practice on it and then see if it's your thing. I learned from having an Aprilia Scarabeo that nothing is cheap or easy to get for it. I'd say forget the Aprilia as a first bike. You will make mistakes with it and it will be costly. Good luck.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #52
Steveo.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I rode dirt bikes all my life, and am pretty good on one! and bought a Monster 796 as my first street bike. Put 9000 km on it the first year with no problems and didn't come close to laying it down, moving or not. I'm a short guy too (5'8") and found the Monster to be a great first bike.

I also rode the Shiver but preferred the Monster. It's a really tame, smooth riding bike and if you're not going to ride it for more than a few hours at a time, I think you should at least consider one if you've been thinking of the Aprilia.

Good luck, and ride safe.
Steveo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #53
bodhisattva65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
My girlfriend is 5'3" and we got her a Harley Streetbob and it fit her perfect. Before all the Harley haters come out we have over 70,000 miles on it with ZERO problems. if you dont like the mini apes look at the other Dyna series.
bodhisattva65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #54
brandonmccann OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen rider View Post

Try this link:

Neat link! Unsure of it's accuracy, but the link shows I would need to drop the bike down to about 30 inches.
brandonmccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #55
brandonmccann OP
Adventurer

I went and measured my legs. The highest point of my legs is (roughly)between 31 and 32 inches. With my boots, I have an added height of about 2 inches(I measured without). The seat height for the 2009 shiver 750 is nearly 32 inches. Do you think I'd be able to flat foot it? I figure I fore sure could if I lowered the rear end a bit with either a different shock or the ShiverLowering Kit from Soupy's performance. With additionally lowering the front forks to compensate?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #56
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
I went and measured my legs. The highest point of my legs is (roughly)between 31 and 32 inches. With my boots, I have an added height of about 2 inches(I measured without). The seat height for the 2009 shiver 750 is nearly 32 inches. Do you think I'd be able to flat foot it? I figure I fore sure could if I lowered the rear end a bit with either a different shock or the ShiverLowering Kit from Soupy's performance. With additionally lowering the front forks to compensate?
Look at the lable inside your pants - there should be a tag with a size there. It should read something like 34-30, 36-32 or even 42-30. The first number should be your waist size, in inches, and the second number will be your inseam length (the number that is important here). I have a 30" inseam, and have ridden dirt bikes all of my life. I still do not like super tall, heavy bikes, like the DRZ's. One poster here had it right when he said that height does not matter much, if the bike is light. Bikes that are tall *and* heavy will give you problems. I am considering a V-Strom 1000, even though I read all about their tall seat height and top heaviness. When I actually sat on one, the suspension dropped a bit, and I sank into the foam a bit, and it wasn't bad at all
If you are really set on an adventure style bike, I would suggest the V-Strom 650, or a new BMW 700.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:04 AM   #57
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,700
Or you might be able to gain enough just by cutting some foam out of the seat. I've done that a bunch of times. If your heart is set on this particular bike just take a day and go sit on the thing so you'll know for sure. We all know how bad bike fever can be, so be sure and get back to us. Good luck!

Sarah

Quote:
Old 01-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #58
brandonmccann OP
Adventurer

Got the Shiver 750 :) I'll pick it up in a week or so or have it shipped here. I've gotta call the dealer tomorrow and see but..I got my bike! lol. It's the blue and silver one. I'll paint it black and gold once I get it paid off.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #59
ArmSC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Grats on the new bike. I was going to suggest a superlow HD sporty. However, it seems like you got what you wanted. Be careful and patient...if youre not around then you cant enjoy the bike.

"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens."
ArmSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 AM   #60
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,700
Amen! Enjoy, but easy does it at first. Got a picture?

Sarah