ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > British Beasts: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #3556
snakeroll
n00b
 
snakeroll's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: TN USA
Oddometer: 6
Iddy,
Your reply was very interesting to me. So you cannot mix the HOAT and OAT?
snakeroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #3557
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please
 
SkiFastBadly's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Woodinville, WA
Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeroll View Post
Iddy,
Your reply was very interesting to me. So you cannot mix the HOAT and OAT?
NO, and also keep the little lambs away from the ivy.
__________________
The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #3558
gregdee
Motocampist
 
gregdee's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Tijeras, NM
Oddometer: 509
Aux lights

With regard to aux lights what are they really there for? I try like hell to not ride at night so in my case I would assume that the aux lights were there to get you noticed. What do you all say?

Of those of you that have the Triumph aux lights/fog lights, do you like them and are they worth the price. I like the idea of just having them plug right in.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #3559
Pacific
Left Coast Adventurer
 
Pacific's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
With regard to aux lights what are they really there for? I try like hell to not ride at night so in my case I would assume that the aux lights were there to get you noticed. What do you all say?

Of those of you that have the Triumph aux lights/fog lights, do you like them and are they worth the price. I like the idea of just having them plug right in.
I have aux lights on all my bikes. Too many deer in my area to ride at night. I have them solely to make me a little more conspicuous. They work, too, as does the bright TEx headlight. I don't rely on them, but they don't hurt.

I ordered PIAA's, then returned them and went with the (slightly more expensive) OEM lights because of the simplicity of installation.
__________________
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit. -- Agustus McRae, Lonesome Dove
Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #3560
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,620
I like my OEM too... They don't light as far as the headlights but wide and very visible from distance in day and night time




Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/

Voluhzia screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 06:27 PM
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:08 AM   #3561
gregdee
Motocampist
 
gregdee's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Tijeras, NM
Oddometer: 509
auxillary power

How are you guys powering your auxiliaries like powerlet sockets or gps units? Have you added a fuse block and then wired from there? Is there a good way to tie into the existing electrical system or do you just run a lead directly from the battery to a fuse block or similar device?
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #3562
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Akron, OH
Oddometer: 311
Other than the one factory installed? There's a spot for one under the rear seat. I believe there's a wiring plug for that already. And that's keyed hot.. Not constant like the one on the tank.
__________________
"homesick for a place Ive never been"

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #3563
gregdee
Motocampist
 
gregdee's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Tijeras, NM
Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
Other than the one factory installed? There's a spot for one under the rear seat. I believe there's a wiring plug for that already. And that's keyed hot.. Not constant like the one on the tank.
Sorry, I'm not all that familiar with it yet. Working on a deal with my "deal-er" right now. Just trying to figure out what I should ask for. Sounds like there are two pre-installed powerlets already? Cool. I suppose the tank will still need to come off to run power for a GPS unit though, eh?
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #3564
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,620
OEMs are plug and play - all wired. Just install, thread the wires to the plug.

There are two plugs under rear rack, one is key hot for top box cigarette socket and the other one is engine run hot for aux socket. There is hole on the left side for it.


Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #3565
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
Sorry, I'm not all that familiar with it yet. Working on a deal with my "deal-er" right now. Just trying to figure out what I should ask for. Sounds like there are two pre-installed powerlets already? Cool. I suppose the tank will still need to come off to run power for a GPS unit though, eh?
There is only one Powerlet at front of tank which is always hot.

I ran GPS cable to the battery without dropping the tank, same thing for AUX OEM lights and heated grips.

Once you have a bike, you'll figure it out.


Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #3566
M Bouthillette
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal, Canada
Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
There is only one Powerlet at front of tank which is always hot.

I ran GPS cable to the battery without dropping the tank, same thing for AUX OEM lights and heated grips.
When you ran that cable, how did you transform the power supply from 12V to 5V ?
M Bouthillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:05 AM   #3567
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Bouthillette View Post
When you ran that cable, how did you transform the power supply from 12V to 5V ?
Original cable (harness) supplied with the GPS has connections to wire into 12V circuit...


Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #3568
gregdee
Motocampist
 
gregdee's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Tijeras, NM
Oddometer: 509
Head light protection

Anyone running the Touratech headlight protector? The wire one or the clear plastic one? Is it worth it or is this just a coolness-I'm-a-badass-and-need-this-thingy farkle?

What about the Touratech side-stand switch protector? I can see where this could be important.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #3569
Voluhzia
iExplorer
 
Voluhzia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Oddometer: 1,620
I have the OEM headlight protector. Don't know how it's different but here is why I like what I have:

- look cool
- protects from small rocks if following another idiot on gravel or snow icy road with sand all over
- quick disconnect, just pull off the grommets


Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #3570
ridenm
Beastly Adventurer
 
ridenm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Carnuel, NM USA
Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
I have the OEM headlight protector. Don't know how it's different but here is why I like what I have:

- look cool
- protects from small rocks if following another idiot on gravel or snow icy road with sand all over
- quick disconnect, just pull off the grommets


Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
Checked out your blog report. What's your impression of the stock bags?
__________________
"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving. ― Terry Pratchett (RIP )
ridenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015