Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #3571
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
Other than the one factory installed? There's a spot for one under the rear seat. I believe there's a wiring plug for that already. And that's keyed hot.. Not constant like the one on the tank.
Sorry, I'm not all that familiar with it yet. Working on a deal with my "deal-er" right now. Just trying to figure out what I should ask for. Sounds like there are two pre-installed powerlets already? Cool. I suppose the tank will still need to come off to run power for a GPS unit though, eh?
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #3572
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
OEMs are plug and play - all wired. Just install, thread the wires to the plug.

There are two plugs under rear rack, one is key hot for top box cigarette socket and the other one is engine run hot for aux socket. There is hole on the left side for it.

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #3573
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
Sorry, I'm not all that familiar with it yet. Working on a deal with my "deal-er" right now. Just trying to figure out what I should ask for. Sounds like there are two pre-installed powerlets already? Cool. I suppose the tank will still need to come off to run power for a GPS unit though, eh?
There is only one Powerlet at front of tank which is always hot.

I ran GPS cable to the battery without dropping the tank, same thing for AUX OEM lights and heated grips.

Once you have a bike, you'll figure it out.

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Old 01-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #3574
M Bouthillette
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
There is only one Powerlet at front of tank which is always hot.

I ran GPS cable to the battery without dropping the tank, same thing for AUX OEM lights and heated grips.
When you ran that cable, how did you transform the power supply from 12V to 5V ?
M Bouthillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #3575
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Bouthillette View Post
When you ran that cable, how did you transform the power supply from 12V to 5V ?
Original cable (harness) supplied with the GPS has connections to wire into 12V circuit...

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #3576
gregdee
Motocampist

Head light protection

Anyone running the Touratech headlight protector? The wire one or the clear plastic one? Is it worth it or is this just a coolness-I'm-a-badass-and-need-this-thingy farkle?

What about the Touratech side-stand switch protector? I can see where this could be important.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #3577
Voluhzia
iExplorer

I have the OEM headlight protector. Don't know how it's different but here is why I like what I have:

- look cool
- protects from small rocks if following another idiot on gravel or snow icy road with sand all over
- quick disconnect, just pull off the grommets

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Old 01-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #3578
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
I have the OEM headlight protector. Don't know how it's different but here is why I like what I have:

- look cool
- protects from small rocks if following another idiot on gravel or snow icy road with sand all over
- quick disconnect, just pull off the grommets

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
Checked out your blog report. What's your impression of the stock bags?
Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #3579
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm View Post
Checked out your blog report. What's your impression of the stock bags?
I like the quickness of installation of them. They are 100% waterproof and don't require special bags to put inside. They swing and they are heavy. The right box is a bit small but can take a few heavy things to evenly distribute the weight between the two.

I also have TRAX aluminum panniers left from the Strom I had so will be purchasing the rack mount that uses different attachment points on the bike so when I go dirt and ugly, I can put aluminum, when I go clean and pretty, - I put OEM

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #3580
gregdee
Motocampist

Fender kits

Where can you get a fender riser? The only one I've seen so far is at Touratech and those are out of stock. Anyone else carry one?

Over on the Dialing the Tiger 800XC for off road thread there is some discussion about fenders being too high and getting smacked at full compression. Anyone have issues with this on the TEX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
I would definately put the fender riser on. In fact, I'm going to but would like one twice as high as the one I've seen. As far as a shock protector, a homemade one is the only thing I've seen that I would consider for my TEX. Here's a pic of mine. PM me if you want any details on it.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #3581
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Touratech is the only place I'm aware of that sells them. The USA site is indeed out @ this time.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #3582
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Oddometer: 663
So I finally got a test ride on the Explorer and I can say that I'll be putting in my order in a day or two. First bike I've ever ridden with more that 70 hp... its got stupid power. Still don't know why I need that, and I'm sure the novelty will wear out fast, but it was certainly fun working the twisties without having to shift.

That said the ergos are far from perfect. My Versys has a LOT more room on board. Course on the Triumph I can reach the ground with both feet, and on the V I have a footpeg lowering kit, but my knees were really cramped (cant imagine what you folks with more than 29" inseams are doing). Is there a good set of footpeg lowering blocks for the bike?

Also I've read that the 2" Rox Risers are best with new clutch and brake cables. Anyone know which parts are the ones to get?

Any other advice before I pull the trigger?

Thanks,

Steve
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #3583
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
Any other advice before I pull the trigger?
If you're looking for near perfect ergos out of the box, test the Super Tenere.

Disclaimer: I have a Tiger 800, not a Super Tenere, I have not ridden the Explorer and just a short test on the ST, but I have sat on both of the big ones on more than one occasion for quite a while and if one bike in the world has perfect ergos for me (!!), it's the Yamaha (or the 2013 water cooled GS).
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #3584
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
If you're looking for near perfect ergos out of the box, test the Super Tenere.

Disclaimer: I have a Tiger 800, not a Super Tenere, I have not ridden the Explorer and just a short test on the ST, but I have sat on both of the big ones on more than one occasion for quite a while and if one bike in the world has perfect ergos for me (!!), it's the Yamaha (or the 2013 water cooled GS).
I feel the sirens call of the cruise control too hard. Perhaps its because I used to live in Minnesota and I've crossed North Dakota too many times, but I always said that I'd reward the first bike maker that put a cruise on an adventure bike with my money. Probably really messed up priorities, but there it is.

I have a feeling if I moved the seat higher it would be a lot better. I like the idea that I can adjust it down for daily rides and up for longer trips. I think the Versys has a 33.5" seat height. But with my Russell seat it's probably over 34. Course I can't put both sets of toes on the ground... and forget about flat foot!
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:37 AM   #3585
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
I feel the sirens call of the cruise control too hard. Perhaps its because I used to live in Minnesota and I've crossed North Dakota too many times, but I always said that I'd reward the first bike maker that put a cruise on an adventure bike with my money. Probably really messed up priorities, but there it is.

I have a feeling if I moved the seat higher it would be a lot better. I like the idea that I can adjust it down for daily rides and up for longer trips. I think the Versys has a 33.5" seat height. But with my Russell seat it's probably over 34. Course I can't put both sets of toes on the ground... and forget about flat foot!
Put the seat up. Very different bike for me after I did that. Im 6' with 32" inseam. Bike fits me very well

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote