Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #61
rsgixer
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I just wanted to say that after buying my XT in december and reading your posts, I have purchased some new levers from the chinese company you recomended and fitted some daytime running LED's in place of the indicators based on your post as well. I will try to add some photos soon. Many Thanks
rsgixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #62
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgixer View Post
I just wanted to say that after buying my XT in december and reading your posts, I have purchased some new levers from the chinese company you recomended and fitted some daytime running LED's in place of the indicators based on your post as well. I will try to add some photos soon. Many Thanks
glad i helped you out...thats what its all about sharing experiences
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #63
The Lone Deranger
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hey mate, great thread, very thorough! I am gearing up for an Oz-UK trip over a few years (working along the way) and am thinking the Tenere would suit me down to the ground.

Bit of an open question, but I have recently come across a 2010 tenere with 23,000km (~14,000 miles) on the clock going for $8000 AUD. I'm giving it some serious thought, as it would allow me an extra $5,000 to spend on the trip as opposed to buying brand new. Just wondering whether there is anything I should be looking at in particular with that many km on the clock, what would I be looking at to assure myself we are Mechanically A+. Or would I be better off forking out $13k for brand new ya reckon? I'm a bit of a beginner with mods and mechanical sorcery, just what I've been able to teach myself with my EXC 400 over the last few years
The Lone Deranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #64
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Deranger View Post
Hey mate, great thread, very thorough! I am gearing up for an Oz-UK trip over a few years (working along the way) and am thinking the Tenere would suit me down to the ground.

Bit of an open question, but I have recently come across a 2010 tenere with 23,000km (~14,000 miles) on the clock going for $8000 AUD. I'm giving it some serious thought, as it would allow me an extra $5,000 to spend on the trip as opposed to buying brand new. Just wondering whether there is anything I should be looking at in particular with that many km on the clock, what would I be looking at to assure myself we are Mechanically A+. Or would I be better off forking out $13k for brand new ya reckon? I'm a bit of a beginner with mods and mechanical sorcery, just what I've been able to teach myself with my EXC 400 over the last few years

mechanically wise it should be perfect, but look it over thoroughly, things you should definitely do to it before you head off are grease the bearings, neck bearings and swingarm bearings in particular, do a valve adjustment even if the previous owner has done it, just so you know how to

make sure it has what you need to do the trip, suspension, luggage, electrical mods, lighting, handlebar height and position, seat comfort

basically use this as reference of things to check or change before you head off, any other specific questions fire away

don't spend the money on the new one, its not worth it
Old 05-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #65
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Yeah, that's pretty cool. Few shots, no big deal. Ugh.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #66
majland
Commuter dreaming of adv.

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul
New levers $41 inc. shipping - they are a perfect fit, no cutting or filing required like some had people that i know tried to fit. I ordered black with red adjusters and the shorty version

the ebay link is for US ebay but they say they ship worldwide

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170694297800...#ht_6597wt_960

these are the parts you need as they don't specifically stock for the XTZ

Suzuki - GSXR 600 1997 - 2003 Clutch
Yamaha - FJR 1300 2004 - 2008 Brake
You don't happen to still have a link or a name of the seller. The direct link has expired again
majland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #67
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by majland View Post
You don't happen to still have a link or a name of the seller. The direct link has expired again
i don't have the link anymore, i just found a company on ebay and told them what i wanted and they sent them, some thing like this seller LINK
Old 08-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #68
Croissant Warrior
Because it's there

Oddometer: 187
Cool stuff RTWPaul, and reading this thread with eagle eyes as I prepare to set off on a 2010 Ten from Oz to the US. Will have a look at greasing bearings and do my valves.

Thanks for a beautifully written thread.

Croissant Warrior
Croissant Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #69
Croissant Warrior
Because it's there

Oddometer: 187
Spares for along the way

Hey again,

In prep for the overlander, I am puzzled about what spares to take along the way, considering I will be in second world countries and Americas (where Ten pats are few and far between)

I plan to replace wearables:
Chain/Sprockets
Tires
oils and lubs and fluids

In the tool kit I currently have only one set of brake pads and one front tube. What would you suggest I add to this?
Croissant Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 AM   #70
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croissant Warrior View Post
Hey again,

In prep for the overlander, I am puzzled about what spares to take along the way, considering I will be in second world countries and Americas (where Ten pats are few and far between)

I plan to replace wearables:
Chain/Sprockets
Tires
oils and lubs and fluids

In the tool kit I currently have only one set of brake pads and one front tube. What would you suggest I add to this?
not sure where you are headed but on the American continent you can get parts in Brazil and Mexico as they are sold there...as for other things to carry, add a regulator, clutch lever (sucks if it breaks in a fall), rear tube 17's are hard to find in some places, clutch and throttle cables in places next to the originals, cush drive rubbers if you haven't done the inner tube fix or about 8 inches of inner tube

besides that not too much else if you have covered all the other things i have in this thread

any other questions drop me a PM or add them here, i don't get back on the road carrying on RTW until May '14...south korea and russia next
Old 10-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #71
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Hola, I find your post very interesting. I have some questions for you:

What do you think about the original Yamaha Panniers/side cases? I currently have the GIVI trekkers, but I am thinking about changing them for Yamaha´s originals, since their rack seems simple and lighter that what I have, although not very strong. I currently go with drybags. The problem is that I am in Colombia and here you cannot find the original Yamaha panniers to check them out, so I have to bring them from Europe, so I really appreciate your input.

and Why did U skip Colombia?
Juan Valderrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #72
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Valderrama View Post
Hola, I find your post very interesting. I have some questions for you:

What do you think about the original Yamaha Panniers/side cases? I currently have the GIVI trekkers, but I am thinking about changing them for Yamaha´s originals, since their rack seems simple and lighter that what I have, although not very strong. I currently go with drybags. The problem is that I am in Colombia and here you cannot find the original Yamaha panniers to check them out, so I have to bring them from Europe, so I really appreciate your input.

and Why did U skip Colombia?
the yamaha stock bags are absolute junk, don't waste your money, the mounting mechanism broke on mine in less than one week, if you come off the whole thing comes apart, they are made of the thinnest aluminum maybe 0.5mm and lined in plastic...

i have some hard bag mounts from SW motech that i ordered specially before i got the jesse luggage...there mounting system is compatible with lots of brands...let me know if you are interested - drop me a PM - i am in las vegas and can ship them to you, they are brand new never even opened the packaging

if you read my ride report from post #695 onward i am in Colombia this year, and was there in 2011 as well LINK
Old 10-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #73
majland
Commuter dreaming of adv.

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
the yamaha stock bags are absolute junk, don't waste your money, the mounting mechanism broke on mine in less than one week
I'll second that the original Yamaha side cases are only for road use and don't drop your bike on them.

The best thing about them is that the rack blend in when the boxes are off :-)

The locking mechanism is also not great - You have to be careful not to break the keys when you unlock it, and you have to keep pressure on the key when you open or lock them.

I'm considering having some alu boxes made to use the the same fittings point (Know a guy that is alu welder by profession and he can make very solid custom boxes at no more than major brand prices)

That aside I've only ridden ~2500km with them so far and for commuting to work they are fine. Could have been just a few cm wider for better to take my backpack with laptop computer etc.
majland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #74
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by majland View Post
Hi guys, talking about headset levers, check this out.

I have a price and reliable pair I got from www.off-the-road.de.

The pair are adjustabl and light.

Juan Valderrama screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 09:32 PM
Juan Valderrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #75
amzouri
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hello ... a great adventure of seasoned adventurer Rider
Great pictures
What camera name
amzouri is offline   Reply With Quote