ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #151
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 9,139
Aug 25-Sept 10 is your friendly date bracket west of the frontal range in regards to weather and trail conditions.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #152
LateNate
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Walnut Shade, MO
Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Pretty good adventure you had in the Tacoma there Nate! Run thru most of it quickly and it looked fun. I liked the take it as it comes attitude that you two seemed to have.

Interested in your Georgia part. There isn't too much as far as riding down towards the coast of GA. I would think starting at the NC coast would be more scenic. Either way, make sure you document the journey well for all of us. If you do decide to route thru GA and for some reason go thru Cartersville north of Atlanta then you will have a back yard to camp in or spare bedroom to sleep in.
Hey, thanks man!

I got some tracks off the website for the GA part. It was part of the Trans East Coast Run or something? I haven't looked at them in a bit.
__________________
TAT
LateNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #153
Sludminger
Show me the dirt
 
Sludminger's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Vermont
Oddometer: 16
Time for us to chime in as well - 2 bros from Vermont heading out for the TAT June 1. We're riding KLRs ('09, '11), currently in the process of setting them up, collecting gear, tools, etc. Big remaining issue there is suspension. Not to get off topic, but if anyone has any recommendations on what to do, I'm all ears. I've read a lot of stuff, and its pretty unclear on what the RIGHT thing to do is. At this point, I'm thinking of replacing the front and rear springs with Race Techs with the proper spring rate (we're both around 210, 6'4", early 40s, experienced off road riders).

My other big question is around navigation. We will be purchasing the scroll charts in the next couple weeks. I've done many route sheeted rides so I'm totally comfortable following the paper, but I like having GPS as I'm expecting to deal with re-routs, wrong turns, etc. and figure that will help us to better get back on track, and I also like the redundancy. First question - what is the ideal KLR style (cheap) GPS set up? I have a Garmin Nuvi 550 which I don't think will work. Second question - with proof of purchase for the paper sheets, is there a way to obtain GPS tracks from somewhere?
Sludminger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #154
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: New York
Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludminger View Post
Time for us to chime in as well - 2 bros from Vermont heading out for the TAT June 1. We're riding KLRs ('09, '11), currently in the process of setting them up, collecting gear, tools, etc. Big remaining issue there is suspension. Not to get off topic, but if anyone has any recommendations on what to do, I'm all ears. I've read a lot of stuff, and its pretty unclear on what the RIGHT thing to do is. At this point, I'm thinking of replacing the front and rear springs with Race Techs with the proper spring rate (we're both around 210, 6'4", early 40s, experienced off road riders).

My other big question is around navigation. We will be purchasing the scroll charts in the next couple weeks. I've done many route sheeted rides so I'm totally comfortable following the paper, but I like having GPS as I'm expecting to deal with re-routs, wrong turns, etc. and figure that will help us to better get back on track, and I also like the redundancy. First question - what is the ideal KLR style (cheap) GPS set up? I have a Garmin Nuvi 550 which I don't think will work. Second question - with proof of purchase for the paper sheets, is there a way to obtain GPS tracks from somewhere?
You should also think about adding emulators or intimidators while you are in the forks; a fork brace will help too. What have you done to the rear shock, you may want to beef up the spring at least back there, if you want to keep the stock shock you could also add a raising link to stiffen it up a bit and gives a bit more ride height. Cheap upgrades but not near as good as a new MOAB or Ricor shock.

As for navigation, a Nuvi 550 will work perfectly, I have used it on my KLR and prior bikes, eventually I moved up to a Zumo because I wanted BT integration but the Nuvi was solid.

As for the tracks, aren't you buying them with the roll chart routes?
__________________
2007 BMW R1200RT
2002 Honda XR400r

marc11 screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 04:42 PM
marc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #155
Sludminger
Show me the dirt
 
Sludminger's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Vermont
Oddometer: 16
Thanks for the reply. I was considering the gold valve cartridge emulators that Race Tech offers. Front springs, rear spring, emulators, looks like it would run me a little shy of $400. I currently have only the Eagle Mike raising link in the back, no other suspension changes.

I didn't think so, I just checked the TAT website and I don't see GPS files offered anywhere. Maybe I should contact this Sam guy...
Sludminger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #156
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: New York
Oddometer: 134
Don't forget fork oil too. I'd up your stock spring with your weight and gear in the rear. I am pretty sure the charts and gpx files are a package deal.


Odd grammar, words and spelling brought to you by my iPhone's autocorrect.
__________________
2007 BMW R1200RT
2002 Honda XR400r
marc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #157
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer
 
leftystrat62's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Little Rhody
Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludminger View Post
Second question - with proof of purchase for the paper sheets, is there a way to obtain GPS tracks from somewhere?
Think your out of luck there partner. Sam doesn't sell GPS tracks-nor are they available any where. If you want to transfer the roll chart waypoints to make a track for your gps, you'll have to do it yourself. Fair warning- it takes many many hours so don't wait. I started transfering mine last year and I'm still in Navada
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:38 AM   #158
Sludminger
Show me the dirt
 
Sludminger's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Vermont
Oddometer: 16
Hey Lefty!

I sent Sam an e-mail last night inquiring about the GPS tracks. He got back to me pretty quickly to let me know that yes, GPS tracks are available. $20/state. That adds a big chunk to the routing expense, but it did sound like the process you were going through took a ton of time so I think we'll get the more critical states.
Sludminger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #159
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer
 
dashmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: East Midlands, UK
Oddometer: 414
I'm heading out there late April, planning on doing the full length plus some other stuff (I'm in the US for 12 weeks).


I decided against turning the rollcharts into tracks, for two reasons:

- I've got a 60CSX, and there's no way the whole thing would fit, and I'm not taking a PC, only an android tablet, so can't run Garmin software to switch routes in and out of the internal memory.

- It would have taken an enormously long time.

What I have done is type all the waypoint coordinates in (which still took ages - maybe a couple of weeks at a couple of hours a night), and I'll have these in the GPS as Points of Interest, labelled with state and mileage. I'll be primarily navigating off the rollchart, but I've then got a double check that I'm at the junction I think I'm at.

I'll have the track logging on and some sort of map in there (do be decided, what's people's opinions of OSM in the states?) which will take care of any backtracking, etc.

Time will tell whether this works or I get horribly lost
__________________
(formerly 'uberthumper')

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #160
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
oldtrucks's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashmoto View Post
I'm heading out there late April, planning on doing the full length plus some other stuff (I'm in the US for 12 weeks).
That's really early, there will still be a chance of snowfall as late as June and no telling what the rest of the winter will add to the existing snow pack in the Rockies.

Docking Pilot made the comment earlier......
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Aug 25-Sept 10 is your friendly date bracket west of the frontal range in regards to weather and trail conditions.
__________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin
oldtrucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #161
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead
 
mrt10x's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashmoto View Post
I'm heading out there late April, planning on doing the full length plus some other stuff (I'm in the US for 12 weeks).


I decided against turning the rollcharts into tracks, for two reasons:

- I've got a 60CSX, and there's no way the whole thing would fit, and I'm not taking a PC, only an android tablet, so can't run Garmin software to switch routes in and out of the internal memory.

- It would have taken an enormously long time.

What I have done is type all the waypoint coordinates in (which still took ages - maybe a couple of weeks at a couple of hours a night), and I'll have these in the GPS as Points of Interest, labelled with state and mileage. I'll be primarily navigating off the rollchart, but I've then got a double check that I'm at the junction I think I'm at.

I'll have the track logging on and some sort of map in there (do be decided, what's people's opinions of OSM in the states?) which will take care of any backtracking, etc.

Time will tell whether this works or I get horribly lost
shouldnt be too hard to find where you are at.. since you will be on tarmac everywhere West/North of Oklahoma due to snow
__________________
We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #162
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer
 
dashmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: East Midlands, UK
Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
That's really early, there will still be a chance of snowfall as late as June and no telling what the rest of the winter will add to the existing snow pack in the Rockies.

Docking Pilot made the comment earlier......
Yeah I know, but there's a few other factors that mean it has to be then. I've got friends in Boulder, CO, so if it's a matter of waiting a matter of days, I'll stop there. If it's looking like longer I'll either go around or go somewhere else (south) for a while, and come back to do the CO section later in the trip - I've got till mid-July.
__________________
(formerly 'uberthumper')

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #163
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer
 
dashmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: East Midlands, UK
Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
shouldnt be too hard to find where you are at.. since you will be on tarmac everywhere West/North of Oklahoma due to snow
If that's the case, I'll deal with it and go see some other stuff. I'm pretty sure you're exaggerating slightly though ;)
__________________
(formerly 'uberthumper')

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #164
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead
 
mrt10x's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashmoto View Post
If that's the case, I'll deal with it and go see some other stuff. I'm pretty sure you're exaggerating slightly though ;)
Yes .. but it would be a rare year for any of the high passes to be open in your timeline.. Plenty of great dirt to be had around Moab though.. and lower elevations.
__________________
We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #165
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels
 
Abenteuerfahrer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Leland, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Think your out of luck there partner. Sam doesn't sell GPS tracks-nor are they available any where. If you want to transfer the roll chart waypoints to make a track for your gps, you'll have to do it yourself. Fair warning- it takes many many hours so don't wait. I started transfering mine last year and I'm still in Navada
Sam does indeed sell TAT GPS tracks at $20 per State. After paying Sam the cost for the States he wanted to traverse my partner who later split with me got them downloaded in a Motel..transferred them to his Garmin 60CSx and went on his merry way. I already had mine loaded(from maps and roll charts) on my Garmin Montana and Zumo before I left home.

Cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014