Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #6001
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstybuck View Post
I hope we can ride together this spring/summer.
Oh Yeah! South West PA, Eastern OH, or Northern WV are good for me!

Only 11 more weeks of ice and snow
Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 AM   #6002
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 685
What did your NX do today?

Fun little drive home:

Old 01-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #6003
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I am still trying to get my NX250 back on the road so my son can use it. We are still battling fuel problems. I have cleaned the tank a few times but there is still some rust that comes out once in awhile and plugs the petcock filter.
The tank was creamed but all of that came out in big sheets, we think we got all of it out but there is a gelatin looking substance that is getting into the carb bowl that is getting past the fuel filter I put between the tank and carb.

We went to change out the bad clutch plates and that is when I found that you needed special tools to pull the clutch pack. I was discouraged when I looked up the part #s online and found I could only get them overseas for big money. I was messing around on ebay today and found the 20-24mm clutch nut for $18 and the clutch holder tool for $25. I can't wait for them to get here and get it back on the road.

Any suggestions on how to handle the carb problems? I am starting to think maybe an acid bath, but I am worried about putting holes in the tank.
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Battle Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #6004
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtstar1 View Post
Work sent me to the desert to tune on a race car. So I took the nx250 and the mt250. Two of my favorite bikes of all time. It would be impossible to choose the best bike, but my girlfriend will say the elsinore 250. When the race car broke we spent the rest of the day exploring some really pretty desert.
That is close to my neck of the woods. I love riding out here in the desert. Maybe I'll join you next time if I can ever get mine running well again. The NX is so much easier for me to play in the desert with than my beemer.
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Battle Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #6005
Dirtstar1
Human torpedo

Oddometer: 121
Tank rust!

Ill be heading back out to Johnson valley in 2 weeks. Then I'm be out 2 weeks after that for king of the hammers race. Feel free to join us.

As for your tank problem, I use muratic acid diluted 50% with water for 24 hours. That will kill the big rust. Then wash it out with the garden hose for about 20 min at full flow. Then I heat the tank to ensure its dry. I run a heat gun in the fuel cap for 15 mins. It gets so hot you can't touch it. Next I put diesel fuel in it to check for leaks and stop the surface rust the acid will trigger. A couple of notes, this all works great on tanks that have not been lined. I've been known to put the sand blaster wand inside the tank to get scale, paint and heavy rust off before the acid. Only once have I got pin holes in the tank. I send the outside of the tank for powder coat, and the inside gets cream. All of those tanks are still going strong. Hope that helps and good luck!

Ryan
Dirtstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #6006
victory80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Newest nx250 owner

Hey all,

First off wanted to say what a great thread you have going here! I didn't know anything about this bike when I got it other than it was somewhat rare but after finding this site, it's nice to see that it has quite a following. Bike is a 1989, around 2000 miles and looks to have been kinda kept up maintenance wise. Had it for a couple weeks now and I've since cleaned it up and new fluids and filters. Plan is to eventually turn it into a retro supermoto. I'll document the conversion. For now, here are pictures of my new to me nx250. Sorry I know you already know what a blue nx looks like, but I'm proud of it!
Did I say I scored it for $500?!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
victory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #6007
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
Elsie got now clutch springs yesterday,
hoping she would quit making those awful sounds when cold

thanks to Jim and Valve Crusher
for post #1335 and the link to it on page one of this thread

one thing I'd like to add
I followed instructions and drained coolant,
which was a mistake
because I did not disconnect the hoses,
there is no need to, you can just turn the cover to the right
and let it hang there
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #6008
legends117
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Chain slider question

I don't think my chain slider is there...well, actually - I am certain it is missing.
I have looked in the Service Manual, and what is illustrated in the book, isn't on my swing arm. Does someone have a photo graph of on, so I can see how the application is supposed to look? Any if any of you have suggestions or recommendations on the replacement - I'd appreciate that.

Peace - JD
legends117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #6009
legends117
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory80 View Post
Hey all,

First off wanted to say what a great thread you have going here! I didn't know anything about this bike when I got it other than it was somewhat rare but after finding this site, it's nice to see that it has quite a following. Bike is a 1989, around 2000 miles and looks to have been kinda kept up maintenance wise. Had it for a couple weeks now and I've since cleaned it up and new fluids and filters. Plan is to eventually turn it into a retro supermoto. I'll document the conversion. For now, here are pictures of my new to me nx250. Sorry I know you already know what a blue nx looks like, but I'm proud of it!
Did I say I scored it for $500?!
Great score. I wish the one I bought would have been twice that amount!! I have only had mine since before Christmas, and just took all the plastic off to see what lies beneath. Have fun!
legends117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #6010
Orkodelamuerte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Skid plate holder

Hey NXers!

Im trying to install the OEM plastic skid plate, but I realized im missing that metal holder that goes under the engine. The part number is 50357-KW3-000 . Im going to fabricate that thing.

Do any of you have a good picture of it so I can get a closer look of what it looks like?
Orkodelamuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #6011
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 357
victory80 that is a sweet purchase! The paint is amazing at 24 years.

Does anyone know what these bikes costs when they were new?
Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #6012
micahshaw
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
That is waay too much for an AX-1. I could buy one from Japan ( direct from a container ), register it in my name for under $2000, drive it to Bangkok and have it flown to Europe for around $600/700.

Hell, I could buy a good one here from $800 to $1500.

There's a good reason the stock AX-1 lamps are not DOT approved - they suck. I fitted two HID kits to mine lately and it's easily 300% better.

One lamp is rigged with a HID for low beam, and the other for high beam. When one is on the other is off unless I use the passing button and then both are on as long as I keep the button pressed.
...guess i'm not the only crazy one!
in the process of collecting the necessary hardware to complete my "poor mans AX-1"

i have a source for these kits if anyone is interested:

425 dollars delived to the USA
AX-1 specific turn signals/brackets and headlight/meter bracket are next
micahshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #6013
Dirtstar1
Human torpedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahshaw View Post
...guess i'm not the only crazy one!
in the process of collecting the necessary hardware to complete my "poor mans AX-1"

i have a source for these kits if anyone is interested:

425 dollars delived to the USA
AX-1 specific turn signals/brackets and headlight/meter bracket are next
Just out of curiosity how much? I did see those parts on alibaba but it looked like a minimum order to get good pricing.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #6014
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 278
Skid plate mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkodelamuerte View Post
Hey NXers!

Im trying to install the OEM plastic skid plate, but I realized im missing that metal holder that goes under the engine. The part number is 50357-KW3-000 . Im going to fabricate that thing.

Do any of you have a good picture of it so I can get a closer look of what it looks like?
These are of my 1990 NX250 from when I was making my custom skid plate.
I used the original mounting points, so they should be accurate for a 1990 model.
The last pix is showing my new plate connected to the OEM bracket under the engine.
Hope this helps.

larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #6015
Dirtstar1
Human torpedo

Nx250 air filter

So I did my routine maintenance today " oil change" and clean the air filter. I looked at the air filter and noticed it was worn out. Literally was vibrated apart. Further inspection I found large grains of sand laying in the air box. Here's what I did. I gutted the stock paper air filter to use it as a frame and then I sandwiched a piece of universal UNI air filter foam between the frame and the wire spark arrester. Well greased around the edges and oiled properly I now have a lean condition. Ill go for a long ride tomorrow and see of I need to jet up.

An interesting test while doing this mod was, after tearing all the paper out of the frame, try blowing through it. Then try blowing through the correctly oiled UNI filter. In my opinion the paper filter was totally plugged.

So who else is doing similar mods? How many people found full grains of sand in the air box past the filter? Did I miss something and there is another place sand can get in?