Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #2401
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
Prutser? Rod? Beamster?

Any more story and photos? I am waiting enthusiastically !!!
I still have to work a few hours, than I can post some more.

Only 1800km left before our trip is is over

But from than everything wil be new for me too

Go EtronX

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #2402
gregMo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Talking seat cure

wow! what an adventure - its true when nothing goes as planned, adventure starts
Thanks to all crew for brilliant report, pics, writing and all info enriching our lifes in our armchairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyb View Post
Well but me no butts! 300 quid or 400 Euros is a lot of petrol, wine, beer or vodka so I'll go upmarket for the dear lady and fork out 15 quid for a lambskin. I get by with my sheepskin so I'm sure she'll manage.

Thank you all for your input, though in Terry's case t'would seem there was a lot of output.

Cheers,

Dickyb
...I was laughing at people with sheepskins on bikes until.... one day I tried it and... never go w/out it on rides longer then 2-3 hrs. Try it and your ar$e will thank you... you can basically spend the whole 12 hrs on it and still be as comfortable as the moment you started(its like traveling on air pillow!!! only better!). The whole sheepskin in IKEA stores goes for about $ 30, and you can easily make 2 seat covers from it... be creative, use straps, cords velcro or whatever. As someone got it right saying: "nature provided us with perfect solutions to most of our problems "(no patent pending limits!) This is is a case with the wool also. As I did enjoy my time in backcountry skiing, the best base layer you can have is merino wool - will keep you always warm, even if it gets moist... and the best part is it can be used for many days without washing (there is no odor from bacteria) as a wool naturally kills most bacteria by itself! - its simply brilliant!

sorry for a highjack

...now, back to the story...go on
gregMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #2403
Machog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Tx to all for a brilliant report. And no river crossings are never boring-keep 'em coming.

Prutser, knowing your love of birds, thought you might enjoy these two pics from my garden/yard in Cave Creek Arizona.

Harris Hawk on my anemometer.

And a cluster of Mourning Doves having a 'branch meeting'.

Machog
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #2404
Cloudhopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
I still have to work a few hours, than I can post some more.

But from than everything wil be new for me too

Go EtronX
And I appreciate that you take us along for the ride.
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #2405
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
I am kinda hoping some TV producer gives me a call to open up a reality tv adventure bike building business called Colebatch County Adventure Bikes
Maybe this guy can help make that happen, he appears to be a SE2012 fan too

Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #2406
Mehaniotis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
ouch!!
Just a wee bit of a Luv tap is all.
Mehaniotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #2407
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babelbabek View Post
Ever tried using Nord-lock washers in bolt locking ? they are used in industry alot, whenever there is vibration.

Demo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I
I used a couple of those on some seat bolts that kept falling out and they solved the problem completely.

Really great report guys, thanks for taking all the time to write it up!! I'm glad there's still a bunch left.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #2408
Stashek
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
We invested in the same sort of things as Walter.
Most parts for Beamster's bike could be bought, things like the X-tank, bash plate, case saver, the stronger rims....and a lots more small stuff.
For the Airhead its a bit more difficult to find those things. So I had to make most of the parts my self.
That was very time consuming. I spent 6 months preparing both bikes, which did pay off as they were both trouble free.

The list of things we would like to improve for future trips is very short.
Beamster's bike : fork improvement (Because the damping system could be so much better)
My airhead : The air intake must be a lot higher to deal with the deep river crossings.
And I'm working on a lockable tool tube and a higher gps mount.

Other than those things the bikes were doing great.
Hi Prutser.

This question is not bike related but directed at both you and Beamster as you both shared the tent. Is it an Fjallraven Abisko lightweight 2 and what if any feedback could you offer on it's performance. Did you ever find that the length made pitching and camp locations more difficult to find.
This comment though is bike related, allowing that lad to ride the bike bought a tear to my eye. I know that's not a cool or macho sentiment but as a visiter to his land you crossed the geographical and cultural divide in the most endearing and enduring way possible.
Thank's to all of you for allowing us to tag along.

Stashek.
Stashek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #2409
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,967
Quote:

Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #2410
Mehaniotis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stashek View Post
Hi Prutser.

This question is not bike related but directed at both you and Beamster as you both shared the tent. Is it an Fjallraven Abisko lightweight 2 and what if any feedback could you offer on it's performance. Did you ever find that the length made pitching and camp locations more difficult to find.
This comment though is bike related, allowing that lad to ride the bike bought a tear to my eye. I know that's not a cool or macho sentiment but as a visiter to his land you crossed the geographical and cultural divide in the most endearing and enduring way possible.
Thank's to all of you for allowing us to tag along.

Stashek.
Stashek.
Gosh you make me blush with my lack of vocabulary.So heart felt was Prutsers kindness for me as well.....
This trip brings bitter /sweet memories growing up in Greece .I was in manyways living the life of the Mongolian kids.

I too have a question regarding the stove used and if the stove was worthy .
Thanks.
M.
Mehaniotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #2411
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Day 61 Part 6

Our wet feet started to get pretty cold by now. And I think all of us had done enough river crossings for that day.
(more than 30)
Now we just had to find a good place to eat, sleep, take a hot shower and a wel deserved
After the big river that I mentioned in post #2370 we still had a few small shallow puddles before we entered a big valley.
This valley had vehicle tracks all over the place and we started to see more locals driving normal cars on the tracks,
so now we couldn't be far from civilization.

A few km's later we drove into Tsakhir.

In the town we stopped to look around and see if we could find a place to spend the night.
Rod and Beamster checked all the town's exit ways but both came back telling there was nothing there.
That meant we had to get our camping gear out again. The hot shower and the good meal would have to wait another day.
Now we had to raid one of the local grocery store's. Where we bought some noodles and some delicious chocolate biscuits.
Because the weather further down the valley didn't look promising we decided to drive back into the valley,
so we would have some time to put up our tents before it would start to rain.

Everywhere you stop locals will come over to check you out.
These local hang arounds came to show their rides while they checked out ours.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #2412
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
As W has said, inside was a laptop and other consumer electronics , outside was solar panel, Uazik van and a moto.
So did you bookmark ADV on their laptop and show them how to check this thread a few months later so they could see themselves, that would probably be the cherry on top for them.

And awesome to let the kid take a ride on the bike, likely to be a lifetime memory.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #2413
Beam(st)er
Miss Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Day 61 Part ..

We found a great spot to pitch our tents just outside the town. The evening up there was amazing, we had such a wonderful view... Again!
You could see people riding in and out of town. Down by the river there was a local family pitching their tent, so even they go out camping.
After dinner T and R went to bed but Prutser and I were still enjoying the evening view.
All of a sudden we heard strange noises, big black shades came wandering over the hill top
Because it was almost dark we couldn't immediately see what came towards us, but then it turned out to be a group of yaks entering our campsite...

Tsakhir's skyline seen from our campsite.

With the last sunbeams of the day we tried to dry our socks and boots.

This was the river we crossed more than 30 times. Today's score: Bikers 30+ : River 1

Tee Bee's wise words; F#ck Mongolia! And thanks Mr Colebatch for choosing this lovely track and I'm sure you knew
there were not a lot of water crossings and we wouldn't get very wet at all

Beam(st)er screwed with this post 03-29-2014 at 04:18 AM
Beam(st)er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #2414
Northstar Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Words fail me -

Utterly fantastic - thanks so much for sharing!
Northstar Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #2415
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 438
Amazing photos. Insanely jealous. I'm thinking a loop of Mongolia needs to be in my future!

My first thought is always that you're drinking red-bull in the blue and red cans.

I always like to google map where these great landscapes are:

Tsakhir, Arkhangai, Mongolia
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote