Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #6331
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Also from Facebook:

Rallyerider

Brett sent us some info last night after Stage 5:
"It was a short but tough and dangerous stage followed by a long liaison in a bit of a sand storm. I picked up a few places in the morning, but then stuffed up between the last waypoint and the finish...
Due to my late arrival the day before, I didn't get the corrections from riders' briefing and that messed up my navigation from the last waypoint to the finish. I lost about 30 minutes!"
They also lost 2hours because they crossed the border to Chile and have to wake up at 4 to tackle Stage 6.
- Good luck Brett - so far so good !!

Here is a pic of Darryl Curtis's fall in the fesh fesh on SS5.

Bluebull2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #6332
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
I'm willing to accept a lot of the changes made to accommodate the routes in South America and the fans that turn out in such droves compared to the disinterest in Africa, but for christ's sake, where is the adventure in a full bivouac service at a waypoint. How long before the ASO allows 30 minutes at each CP with full team service. This is a crap decision making the rally weaker.
One more way to ensure a privateer doesn't get to outshine the sponsored pro's

To be competitive in this "new Dakar" a rider needs, amongst other things, 2 support vehicles (one for bivy and one to shoot ahead to allowable CP's, ghost cars (one to be at beginning and one at end of each SS), an RV with air conditioning to sleep in and provide a humane bathroom experience, a team manager that is competent to interpret the every changing rules so they can be taken advantage of, etc, etc, etc

My only issue with all of this is the $$$ required now to be competitive. I still applaud the fact the everyday man can race next to the hero's but imho they can no longer be competitive. So good but also not to so good.

Another "bummer" of this is that it is changing the race from what it once was to what it is becoming. I, like many others here, don't like the change as I am clinging to an ideal of what the Dakar was. I keep having to remind myself to accept the change as the "new Dakar" is as awesome as the "old Dakar", its just different

I watched some videos the other day of Dakar's from the old days. People riding 500 lb bikes, scooters, etc. The terrain they were riding on was NOTHING like what we see today. Hearing people like Pyndon saying a top of the line, modern, purpose built 450rr can barely make it up some of the hills puts a bit of perspective of the "new terrain". I don't get the impression that folks racing felt they were cheated due to lack of distance yesterday

People are complaining that the distances are short, yet I still see riders coming in at all hours of the night. The challenge seems very real, just different. Again, accepting change is difficult.

I am continually reminding myself not to be a stick in the mud and to accept the evolution of the Dakar. Can you imagine if the course was still doable by a scooter or a 500 lb bike...I don't think we would all be impressed by the daily videos

An analogy, I used to be a pretty decent snowboarder. The terrain we rode and the tricks we did when we jumped are now done by 5 year olds. The pros have become gymnists doing flips and twists that are mind boggling. How freaking lame would it be to watch people on tv doing nothing but old school tricks on old school equipment Same goes for rally I think.

Sorry, felt the need to express myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Imagine how I felt riding past that last year! I had just assumed (silly me) that I was on my own, as had my crew.

Oh well, it is what you make of it.

+1
I felt real bad for you last year Ned when we learned we were allowed to assist but you had already gone threw the CP and were on your way to the bivy. If I could do it again......we should do it again

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #6333
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
My water carrier finally caught up with me in the Neutralization.

And with that I have to run to work! Have fun folks!
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #6334
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamingeagle3 View Post
She is through WP3 +1.11.24....its moving .......
Brilliant

Go KUKI Go! Vamos!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
Craig (Bounds) seems to be riding steadily, hopefully that means he's not as badly hurt as we feared?
Thats good news, I hope he is okay!!!

Go Boundsy boy go!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #6335
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Just a concept to throw out:

The cost for cell connectivity from the bivouac is pretty high... precluding people like XspearsX husband from being in touch.

What about creating a fund for next year to have an "ADV" phone in the bivouac, that people can send us pics and stories from behind the scenes, beyond just the riders? Someone local could get a phone sorted out, that Scott and Pyn's dad and others could use to snap some pics and SMS to one of us...

And, bringing that back to the coffee cup idea, how about upcharging the cup to start the fund?

Thinking out loud...
I've been trying to research how to get that accomplished for next year. Though "next year" I plan to be there.....but want a phone to send back updates of everyone etc. Being here on ADV for the past 3 years (well last year I went down the last 2 days) I want better updates...not just our team, for everyone. More details about what's going on there and lots of pix!!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #6336
RhodeHazard
ex halligan hooligan

Oddometer: 655
PYNDON is in WP6 @ +42.44
RhodeHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #6337
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Will they ship internationally (both Canada and overseas)?
Indeed they will.

I got a hold of C.vestal, and he's forwarded the first bit, with the date change and locations. NOw he'll add the f5 graphic and I asked it he could do a command-R if he had the time.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #6338
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

To be competitive in this "new Dakar" a rider needs, amongst other things, 2 support vehicles (one for bivy and one to shoot ahead to allowable CP's, ghost cars (one to be at beginning and one at end of each SS), an RV with air conditioning to sleep in and provide a humane bathroom experience, a team manager that is competent to interpret the every changing rules so they can be taken advantage of, etc, etc, etc

My only issue with all of this is the $$$ required now to be competitive. I still applaud the fact the everyday man can race next to the hero's but imho they can no longer be competitive. So good but also not to so good.

Another "bummer" of this is that it is changing the race from what it once was to what it is becoming. I, like many others here, don't like the change as I am clinging to an ideal of what the Dakar was. I keep having to remind myself to accept the change as the "new Dakar" is as awesome as the "old Dakar", its just different

I watched some videos the other day of Dakar's from the old days. People riding 500 lb bikes, scooters, etc. The terrain they were riding on was NOTHING like what we see today. Hearing people like Pyndon saying a top of the line, modern, purpose built 450rr can barely make it up some of the hills puts a bit of perspective of the "new terrain". I don't get the impression that folks racing felt they were cheated due to lack of distance yesterday

People are complaining that the distances are short, yet I still see riders coming in at all hours of the night. The challenge seems very real, just different. Again, accepting change is difficult.

I am continually reminding myself not to be a stick in the mud and to accept the evolution of the Dakar. Can you imagine if the course was still doable by a scooter or a 500 lb bike...I don't think we would all be impressed by the daily videos

An analogy, I used to be a pretty decent snowboarder. The terrain we rode and the tricks we did when we jumped are now done by 5 year olds. The pros have become gymnists doing flips and twists that are mind boggling. How freaking lame would it be to watch people on tv doing nothing but old school tricks on old school equipment Same goes for rally I think.

I felt real bad for you last year Ned when we learned we were allowed to assist but you had already gone threw the CP and were on your way to the bivy. If I could do it again......we should do it again
You make a very good point Deadly.

Dont cut yourself up about not being there for Ned. Its just what happens when you have a small team.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #6339
slime
Healing nicely

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
+1

I wound up on the shoulder a bunch during Peruvian liaisons, when there was oncoming traffic in my lane in blind places.

Taxis were the worst offenders. I would have been ground meat one time in particular if I were on something wider than a bike.
Sounds like my daily riding in East Tennessee is getting me prepped well for the Dakar those yellow lines in the middle of the road are just "Guides"
http://www.timewarpvmc.org/ National #102

Life's a journey, not a destination!
"Another two hours of this play, somebody shoot me"
Abraham Lincoln
slime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #6340
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy1 View Post
Let's not let this idea get lost in the midst of the f5rehose!! Sandi Spears volunteered earlier to be our official photog.
Yes I do
Got lots of saving $s to do to make it happen. Hoping it's a good year for my business. Sales, sales, sales!!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #6341
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

To be competitive in this "new Dakar" a rider needs, amongst other things, 2 support vehicles

Evolution - it stinks as you get on - trust me I know first hand
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #6342
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
the Pavey-Poskitt Train is rolling into WP6. they rode there together and arrived within 10sec.

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #6343
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Shit, huge respect for Craig Bounds...I guess its a decision that only he can make. We will know by the end of today or not if it was the right one. Cant help but feel for him in this. Last year he also crashed out if I recall.
yeah i heard his rear suspension preload had been jacked up to stop his fuel tank rubbing but they didnt tell him, hit a rock step and catapulted him off the bike

lets hope he makes it through safely
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #6344
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Inmate ToKo, who is missing from TeamF5 this year, just replied to the RallyRAIDio Facebook group:

Quote:
BTW our friend Jan Vesely is DSQ. Reason - they towed his bike 30km in desert to finish of special and then decided to not tow the bike 400km without lights behind truck on road and transported it on the truck. Error - rule 24. He was not finghting anybody, just wanted to finish the race. In the evening they told him that it´s OK to start, so he was awake all night and repaired the bike and before start they told him that is DSQ. Damned.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #6345
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyuk View Post
yeah i heard his rear suspension preload had been jacked up to stop his fuel tank rubbing but they didnt tell him, hit a rock step and catapulted him off the bike

lets hope he makes it through safely
I thought he was in malle moto this year ?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote