Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #6346
doyle OP
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
One more way to ensure a privateer doesn't get to outshine the sponsored pro's

To be competitive in this "new Dakar" a rider needs, amongst other things, 2 support vehicles (one for bivy and one to shoot ahead to allowable CP's, ghost cars (one to be at beginning and one at end of each SS), an RV with air conditioning to sleep in and provide a humane bathroom experience, a team manager that is competent to interpret the every changing rules so they can be taken advantage of, etc, etc, etc

My only issue with all of this is the $$$ required now to be competitive. I still applaud the fact the everyday man can race next to the hero's but imho they can no longer be competitive. So good but also not to so good.

Another "bummer" of this is that it is changing the race from what it once was to what it is becoming. I, like many others here, don't like the change as I am clinging to an ideal of what the Dakar was. I keep having to remind myself to accept the change as the "new Dakar" is as awesome as the "old Dakar", its just different

I watched some videos the other day of Dakar's from the old days. People riding 500 lb bikes, scooters, etc. The terrain they were riding on was NOTHING like what we see today. Hearing people like Pyndon saying a top of the line, modern, purpose built 450rr can barely make it up some of the hills puts a bit of perspective of the "new terrain". I don't get the impression that folks racing felt they were cheated due to lack of distance yesterday

People are complaining that the distances are short, yet I still see riders coming in at all hours of the night. The challenge seems very real, just different. Again, accepting change is difficult.

I am continually reminding myself not to be a stick in the mud and to accept the evolution of the Dakar. Can you imagine if the course was still doable by a scooter or a 500 lb bike...I don't think we would all be impressed by the daily videos

An analogy, I used to be a pretty decent snowboarder. The terrain we rode and the tricks we did when we jumped are now done by 5 year olds. The pros have become gymnists doing flips and twists that are mind boggling. How freaking lame would it be to watch people on tv doing nothing but old school tricks on old school equipment Same goes for rally I think.

Sorry, felt the need to express myself

I felt real bad for you last year Ned when we learned we were allowed to assist but you had already gone threw the CP and were on your way to the bivy. If I could do it again......we should do it again
I will agree on many parts of this. I am not a nostalgia type of guy holding on to something that no longer exists. I applaud how the ASO has embraced South America and don't wish for a return to Africa. I also don't mind the shorter, more technical stages and will even opine that they are might even be tougher than some of the African stages.

What I don't like are these last minute changes that remove an aspect of the race that has always been a core ingredient regardless of the stage or the location, things like navigation, the need to be mechanically adept, the improvisation. I can accept the ASO tailoring the routing to allow for fan access and media accessibility, but the core things that set the Dakar apart from say, the Rally Maroc or the Merzouga are key ingredients like the marathon, the self service, and the regs that dictated only help from competitors during the racing stage.

I am more than willing to accept and embrace change, I love the 450 rules for instance, but when that change negatively impacts the core makeup of the rally, then it begins to move too far away.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #6347
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,043
Anything on Matt Fish? Hope it's just a glitch in the tracking Matrix.

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #6348
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I thought he was in malle moto this year ?
he is, the preload bit was about his crash two years ago
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #6349
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
My water carrier finally caught up with me in the Neutralization.

And with that I have to run to work! Have fun folks!

Love seeing the next generation of F5.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #6350
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 691
the problem with this evolution is i can see it getting to a point where the ASO's up the fees, logistics and infrastructure required to the point where the malle motos are squeezed out as are most of the privateers and it becomes like F1 where only factory teams or big private teams can afford to stay in it.... and that would be a great shame..
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #6351
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Inmate ToKo, who is missing from TeamF5 this year, just replied to the RallyRAIDio Facebook group:

C'est grossierr Grrrr...
Old 01-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #6352
doyle OP
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,624
So via twitter, Lars ten Harkel who posted the photos confirmed that the riders still have the same 10 minutes before they have to depart the fueling area, but I still disagree with the amount of service allowed.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #6353
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
Anything on Matt Fish? Hope it's just a glitch in the tracking Matrix.
He started way back due to towing Barreda out yesterday. Barreda got re-seeded to the front, but Fish did not.

He's on track relative to where he's been today, and should be at the refuel soon.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #6354
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,174
Hey hows Van Ginkle doing? He was in it this year, right?

Manuel still trucking along... preserving for a finisher medal, rather than trying to win. Imagine him 15 years from now, if he stays in it?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #6355
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
I hate to say it and I applaud Luis' tenacity to try and take a 2 smoker to the finish, but is anyone really surprised that such a little powerplant can't take the stresses of stage after stage?
This is Luis' 3rd Dakar on the 150. The previous two years that bike went thru the Dakar flawlessly!!!!! Scott can't say enough great things about how well it did. Last year Luis broke his hand in the last stage putting him out, or he would of finished!!!! The 150 would of finished the Dakar!!!! I do not know what is going on this year with the bike. Why 2 motors already? I don't think previous years they changed motors because they had to. Scott changed them just to be on the safe side. Something is different this year. The terrian? The bike? (Scott didn't build this one, so I do not know if there is anything different internally). I know he was stressed about not building, but being the support. Not that he felt the builder was not capable. Just Scott wanting to know 100% in's and out's of what was done to the bike, is all. My hubby is very anal, but in this case can be a good thing
Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #6356
miniyo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
WP7 open
miniyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #6357
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Indeed they will.

I got a hold of C.vestal, and he's forwarded the first bit, with the date change and locations. NOw he'll add the f5 graphic and I asked it he could do a command-R if he had the time.
Awesome!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #6358
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
He started way back due to towing Barreda out yesterday. Barreda got re-seeded to the front, but Fish did not.

He's on track relative to where he's been today, and should be at the refuel soon.
On the tracker, he was in the forties up until stage 5. Figured he did get reseeded, but the starting time wasn't updated

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #6359
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSpearsX View Post
I've been trying to research how to get that accomplished for next year. Though "next year" I plan to be there.....but want a phone to send back updates of everyone etc. Being here on ADV for the past 3 years (well last year I went down the last 2 days) I want better updates...not just our team, for everyone. More details about what's going on there and lots of pix!!
Time to work on your french. For any team, a french speaker is a real necessity in Dakar, I think.

Deadly's post about missing out on the 'service' is in part due to not getting the word in a language they understood, I believe. You pick up a LOT of missed shit in just hearing conversations around you in any group environment.

"I heard some katoom service boys talking about a midday timing for tomorrow..."

And then you track down to see if it's rumor or fact.

If I was building a team for Dakar, french speaker would be right up there in the 'must haves'.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #6360
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
So now it's the restart, no more fueling till the end?