Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #51421
nic579
x

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Thanks for sharing. I did not know this was an option! Maybe the way to go for those now converting. You will love the USDs!
I will never know the difference as the bike was decapitated when I got it. It is exciting to have it all dry fit, now for grease and wiring the birds-nest up without the instrument cluster.
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #51422
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post
N37 55.352 W107 45.555 is roughly where the steps start, if you rode BJEC you'll be fine, all the hype is from the jeep crowd.
I did, but that was a LONG time ago!

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #51423
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
Out of curiosity, what did you shoot the video with?
It was a Contour Roam. Somebody posted an Amazon link awhile back and it was only 70.00!

Steve
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #51424
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I'm going to cut open the top of my xrl airbox for better breathing with the powerbomb header. My jetting is on the rich side, especially the pilot jet/part throttle where I do alot of my riding. I have the stock carb with Dave's mods and the stock needle shimmed. Is the cut open airbox top going to require me re-shimming the needle?
I'm at about 5000ft up in elevation, and ride up to 8000ft sometimes, and am running a 58 pilot (a little big for my elevation) and 155 main jet (keihins).

The bike runs awesome, very sharp throttle response and pulls strong and clean everywhere, and starts with almost no choke needed (because of the rich pilot) and idles great.
The plug reads a little rich tho, so I think the header and cut airbox should be perfect, but not sure if I'll have to re-shim the needle or not.
I was thinking not, but if anybody has any experience with cutting open their airbox and rejetting for it, I'd love to hear your feedback
Neither of those mods should require any further shimming of the needle. My advice is to make the changes in steps then analyze how it runs after each. That gives a better feel for what changes really occur for each step, plus as much as these changes are interactive, sometimes they balance each other out in some ways.

A 58 pilot is rich for low altitude, much less for 5-8k. I have the mods and running 55 now after changing from a 50. 50 was a bitch starting in cold weather, 55 made a big difference, and I actually dropped (unshimmed) my needle which fixed a slight top-end richness I was experiencing. Now, it's "smooth as budda" all across the board, zippier, and starts much better, although I do use the 'choke'. So if after you make the mods you propose, you still think it runs too rich at idle / slight throttle, then consider dropping your pilot, maybe try a 55. But if it "runs awesome, very sharp throttle response and pulls strong and clean" then why bother taking a chance of disrupting that? BTW, we want our XRLs running a tad rich anyway to keep our engines cool. And I'd rather sacrifice a touch of fuel in the mountains than deal with the hassle of an oil cooler (which doesn't mitigate combustion chamber temperature as effectively as a slightly rich fuel/air mixture, anyway).
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #51425
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
Maximum pucker factor !! Been wondering about Redcone and wouldn't mind trying.
There were a bunch of Jeeps coming off the top of Red Cone that day. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that you can see the trail on. Lots of loose base ball sized rocks.

Steve
Old 01-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #51426
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
Beyond the top of the last one is this

That picture puckers me for sure!

Steve
Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #51427
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
I was wondering the same thing? is the camera trying to auto focus? or on shrooms...

Hey, I understand...I was just looking for solid numbers on just the pipe because I keep thinking I would like to get one and am just trying to be smarter about upgrades.
There are 2 settings on the camera. The better quality setting uses too much battery so I had it on the lower quality setting.

Steve
Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #51428
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,015
Newbie owner post

Just picked up a 2008 XR650L to do the TAT this summer. I know this probably has been posted here somewhere, but with over 3000 posts in this thread I just have to ask instead of spending days sorting thru. Please forgive me.

Have read about Dave's carb mods for 2003 and prior carbs. What about 2004 and newer? This PO of this bike de-smogged it, but left everything else stock. Stock pipe. Stock filter. Stock jets. It fires up and runs fine, but I have no basis for comparison and know uncorking the intake and exhaust always help.

So my question is, do the Dave's mods also apply to later models? If not, what are the recommended mods to making it a little richer? The plug shows me it is on the edge of lean. I'd rather start with the filter, removing the snorkel, and doing the pilot/main, but don't know if it needs the disc spacer on the needle. If possible I'd like to leave the stock exhaust, but am fully capable of making it breath a little better without the noise.

Please enlighten me, or point me to a web page that addresses these issues for the later model XR's. Thanks.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #51429
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
That picture puckers me for sure!
I want to try it :(
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 01-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #51430
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Just picked up a 2008 XR650L to do the TAT this summer. I know this probably has been posted here somewhere, but with over 3000 posts in this thread I just have to ask instead of spending days sorting thru. Please forgive me.

Have read about Dave's carb mods for 2003 and prior carbs. What about 2004 and newer? This PO of this bike de-smogged it, but left everything else stock. Stock pipe. Stock filter. Stock jets. It fires up and runs fine, but I have no basis for comparison and know uncorking the intake and exhaust always help.

So my question is, do the Dave's mods also apply to later models? If not, what are the recommended mods to making it a little richer? The plug shows me it is on the edge of lean. I'd rather start with the filter, removing the snorkel, and doing the pilot/main, but don't know if it needs the disc spacer on the needle. If possible I'd like to leave the stock exhaust, but am fully capable of making it breath a little better without the noise.

Please enlighten me, or point me to a web page that addresses these issues for the later model XR's. Thanks.

jeff
Do ALL of Dave's mods and then tweak from there. Drill the slide, shim the needle, all of it. It's fine with the stock exhaust. I have a 2008 model and you'll like the change it makes. You can also google advrider: dave's mods and see several comments about it and some of the tweeks guys have done. Also personal preference, but instead of grinding the tab off the needle, I ground the tab off the carb so I could use the tab on the needle as a reference for setting it.

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

Steve

sc-razor screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 09:15 AM
Old 01-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #51431
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Neither of those mods should require any further shimming of the needle. My advice is to make the changes in steps then analyze how it runs after each. That gives a better feel for what changes really occur for each step, plus as much as these changes are interactive, sometimes they balance each other out in some ways.

A 58 pilot is rich for low altitude, much less for 5-8k. I have the mods and running 55 now after changing from a 50. 50 was a bitch starting in cold weather, 55 made a big difference, and I actually dropped (unshimmed) my needle which fixed a slight top-end richness I was experiencing. Now, it's "smooth as budda" all across the board, zippier, and starts much better, although I do use the 'choke'. So if after you make the mods you propose, you still think it runs too rich at idle / slight throttle, then consider dropping your pilot, maybe try a 55. But if it "runs awesome, very sharp throttle response and pulls strong and clean" then why bother taking a chance of disrupting that? BTW, we want our XRLs running a tad rich anyway to keep our engines cool. And I'd rather sacrifice a touch of fuel in the mountains than deal with the hassle of an oil cooler (which doesn't mitigate combustion chamber temperature as effectively as a slightly rich fuel/air mixture, anyway).
It was hard to get myself to buy the powerbomb and start modding the bike more, because it DOES run so good right now.......but at 5000ft up you lose a lot of power, especially with machines that don't have that much to begin with, so in the end I realized I needed to do what I always do to my machines up here......mod them enough so they run at least as well as a stocker would at sea level
High elevation living sucks when it comes to power sports

Thanks for the excellent advice I agree, I suspect that the bike is just going to run better with the airbox mods and header, I'm thinking I shouldn't have to go into the carb for anything......fingers crossed. I've never jetted an xrl before tho, just wanted some experienced info to help guide me
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #51432
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
If Rekluse comes through with the auto clutch you won't need a smaller bike.
I'd love to try a recluse for my style of riding
Old 01-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #51433
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I want to try it :(
plug this into google maps 39.799272,-105.587929

It was a neat road, with awesome views.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #51434
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post

jeff
Hey Jeff!
I'm very pleased to see you're going to take an XRL on the TAT! I think it'd be my choice if I could have anything. Any way I can help you just let me know. If you haven't seen it already, I suggest you check out the ride report on here by our neighbor and my friend XCrider (Denis). I like how he stitches together a ride report.

All the carbs take the same mods. But the difference in "uncorking" isn't exactly huge. It does make a difference if you really want to run full-bore, but who wants to do that on the TAT? Not me....

I agree with your plan of keeping the stock exhaust. While I appreciate the boost in performance, weight savings, and the throaty tone of my White Bros unit, the stock unit is less bothersome to others along the way. It's a benefit to be able to sneak around without people being able to follow you by your sound. And as Dave says in his mod, his particulars apply to a bike that's been opened up, that of course including performance aftermarket exhaust.

As for jumping into mods, I would be focusing on what particular weaknesses you have personally experienced and wish to address. These guys come a bit lean from the factory in order to pass exhaust emissions standards imposed by our illustrious Federal government. From my experience, what I'd do is exchange the stock #50 pilot jet for a #55, and see how she runs for you. Then based on your anaylsis of the effects of this change, you can refocus your efforts. I'm expecting you'd find this quite acceptable performance to run the TAT.

What is your schedule & plan for running the TAT?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #51435
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
It was hard to get myself to buy the powerbomb and start modding the bike more, because it DOES run so good right now.......but...
I know.... it's hard to keep your hands off the bike when conditions inhibit riding it.

Quote:
.....mod them enough so they run at least as well as a stocker would at sea level
High elevation living sucks when it comes to power sports
Oh yeah? Well, from the pictures, it doesn't look too sucky, so I'm not the least bit sympathetic!

Quote:
...I've never jetted an xrl before tho, ...
The basic prinicples are the same for any bike with a carb. You can make mods to get more air and others to get more gas, Coordination is the key, because it is the ratio of gas to air that you want to optimize for your given criteria. Once you know what affects what, and how, and are able to feel a lean, good, and rich condition, you just make a corresponding adjustment and dial it in.