ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #19711
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Just got back in from jgiacobbe's house. Much thanks is owed for helping me lower my stock linkage and forks. Plus he helped me get my stock spark arrestor back in. Now all I need to do is try and get my suspension set up for my weight and I will be good to go.

I would possibly be down for a ride Saturday. I know I'm going to ride I just don't know how far.
If you still want to explore new riding areas like off of Woolridge, I'd love to give it a go. There may be something off Patterson just west of 288 that I may want to try also.
Dr WhipIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #19712
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
If you still want to explore new riding areas like off of Woolridge, I'd love to give it a go. There may be something off Patterson just west of 288 that I may want to try also.
Yea that sounds good. Most likely I will be riding from around noon Saturday to dark since the wife has to go into work. There's also a trail starting where the Tuckahoe road exit ends off 288. It's going to be a development at some point I think. I leads to Broad street and there's people working at the entrance at Broad, but from the Tuckahoe side it's desolate. Type 37.625755,-77.656528 into google maps and check it out. You will see the trail pick up right where the road ends. It looks pretty straight forward, but with all the woods off to the side of the trail I'm banking that there are some trails off of it.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #19713
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Do you end up removing and disassembling the forks or do you siphon the oil out? Never did anything with forks before.
Jeremy, just sticking a long tube down into the forks will allow you to suck out the fluid (siphoning won't work), for sure, but, the suction tube stays inside the internal damper tube. Most/all of the grunge collects on the outside of the damper tube at the base of the slider. You cannot get all of it out by this method.

Pulling the tubes, invert, pump and drain is the only way to get it out.

I wrote the following procedure for the post-95 Concours. The procedure is pretty much the same for your forks, but please note the oil quantities are for that bike. Yours will probably be different.

FORK OIL CHANGE

1. Remove the plastic (not absolutely necessary, but makes it easier to get to the lower fork clamp bolts.

2. Loosen the four (two per side) fork tube pinch bolts on the top clamp + the two (one per side) Allen head handlebar clamp screws. Absolutely necessary to be able to loosen the caps since the pinching action constricts the tube around the fork caps.

3. Back out the preload adjusters to the last ring (or until you feel resistance) and break the top fork cap(s) loose. DO NOT loosen these any more than a couple of turns out, or try and remove the caps now.

3a. Elevate the bike and remove the front wheel. Do not allow the calipers to hang on the brake lines.

4. With the weight of the bike now off of the front suspension, remove the caps from the top of the tubes.
CAUTION: There is some pre-load spring pressure on the cap so be prepared once the threads clear. Remove the springs slowly so they don't pull oil out with them and make a mess.

5. Remove the fender.

6. Loosen the two (2) bottom triple clamp bolts (per side) that secure the tubes.

7. Grasping the tube. Use a back and forth twisting motion while exerting a downward force and work the tube out of the clamps. Repeat for the other side. Pay attention which side is the left and right.

8. Invert the tube and dump the fork oil in a suitable container, pumping the tube/slider to get as much of the yucky oil out as possible.

9. Add a couple hundred cc of low flashpoint solvent (I like kerosene or diesel fuel) per tube, then pump the tube up and down several times to loosen up some the crud in the bottom. Invert the tube and dump the solvent into a suitable container, pumping the tube/slider to get as much out as possible. Repeat this process several times for each tube.

10. Add a couple hundred cc of low weight 'cheap' fork oil to each leg and work the tube up and down. This is to dilute any solvent that be be left in the tube. Invert the tube and dump the fork oil into a suitable container, pumping the tube/slider to get as much out as possible.

11. Reinstall the tubes in the bike tightening the the lower clamp pinch bolts only.

12. Add the fork oil. The rest is pretty much the reverse of removal. Follow the directions in the Manual for the proper torque values.

Fork oil by volume: 379cc per leg (completely dry after full disassembly)
Fork oil by volume: 330cc per leg (changing only)
**Fork oil by level ('94-'up): 171mm from the top of the inner tube with the spring removed and the fork fully compressed

** Best method

NOTE: You have not yet installed the spring(s).

13. Now the fun part..... getting the cap back on. Like all things, there's a procedure that helps.

14. In turn, take each cap and place on the top of the tube it will going in during final assembly. Slowly rotate the cap and determine the point where the threads just begin to grab. Using a magic marker, pencil - something - make a mark on the cap so you can reference it with a fixed spot on the top clamp (the slit in the clamp works). Repeat this for the other cap.

15. The whole reason for this procedure is to help get the cap started when the springs are in place. Trying to push down on the cap (against spring pressure) and turn it to get the threads started (without cross-threading) can be a real PITA.

Another hint would be to use a speed wrench. These make it easy to apply a downward force and turn at the same time.

16. Finally, install the springs and their flat spacers. Position the cap in place so your alignment mark is just to the left of the fixed reference you've established. With a straight downward force, push the threaded portion of the cap into the bore of the tube. Insuring that it is straight, rotate the cap clockwise at least a 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. The threads should have engaged easily to the point that you didn't even notice. Slowly relax downward pressure to make sure the threads are engaged, and if so, continue tightening the cap. Gorilla tight isn't necessary. Once you tighten the top clamp bolts, the tube will constrict and keep the cap in place.

17. Repeat for the other cap.

18. Replace the front wheel, calipers, and fender. Pump the front brake so the pistons will have moved back out to the disks BEFORE riding.

19. Double check all pinch bolts that secure the fork tubes to the triple clamps.

20. Replace any plastic that was removed.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #19714
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

To add to my last post I just coincidentally saw an article saying Eagle Construction just purchased the land here (google maps, type 37.658828,-77.647569 in). That is off of the area I was just talking about. It looks like a dirt bike track of some sort. At first I was worried it may be someone's farm or yard, but now a developer owns it so I wouldn't be too worried with exploring it.

You can see the land they bought here as well http://www.richmondbizsense.com/imag...s-Farm.pdf.jpg. It won't show you the trails cut in on that map though so you're better looking on google.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 01-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #19715
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
To add to my last post I just coincidentally saw an article saying Eagle Construction just purchased the land here (google maps, type 37.658828,-77.647569 in). That is off of the area I was just talking about. It looks like a dirt bike track of some sort. At first I was worried it may be someone's farm or yard, but now a developer owns it so I wouldn't be too worried with exploring it.

You can see the land they bought here as well http://www.richmondbizsense.com/imag...s-Farm.pdf.jpg. It won't show you the trails cut in on that map though so you're better looking on google.
Cool. Just name a time and place to meet. I'll be on a blue XT600.
Dr WhipIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #19716
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Cool. Just name a time and place to meet. I'll be on a blue XT600.
Where do you live?
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 01-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #19717
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
My buddy there just called me.

2011 RT. in on trade. Less than 9k on it

Just I case someone is looking.
how much?

and who would trade a RT for a HD?
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #19718
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
From Adventure

Ok... I am starting to figure out how to post images again... my how stuff changes fast. As a software developer... I sorta tune out web changes anymore... now all of a sudden I have to remember how to do it :)

Here is a snapshot from google earth with a yellow trailhead pin in the lower right and the well known intersection in the upper left.

I am trying to figure out how to actually post a live link. I'll keep trying.
I called the Forest Service and the gate I was talking about is closed as well as all of the other awesome roads that close for the winter. They re-open April 1st, but in my experience it seems they take a while to get them all open and this one, being where it is, is one of the last to open. I've seen it closed on Memorial Day weekend on that end. They schedule all of the gates to close January 5th to April 1st. It is possible that the gate is actually still open, but there is only one way to find out. If you guys have not seen this before it is an excellent dual sport resource:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5392127.pdf

I found the road numbers I was interested in and just got off the phone with the Glenwood/Pedlar Ranger District's office. The road you wanted to go up was 1167 from Map 28. When you plan a trip out there again, after winter, you should check out 1881 on Map 30. You can spot the rd # centered left to right about 1/4 way down from the top. If you like jumping waterbars it's a blast. It is the one with the tunnel under the Parkway if you have been through there or have heard mention of it. Ride em' while you can. They have very little money to maintain roads so when they become heavily damaged they close them. They are also closing them because folks do not stay on the roads.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #19719
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
...When you plan a trip out there again, after winter, you should check out 1881 on Map 30. You can spot the rd # centered left to right about 1/4 way down from the top. If you like jumping waterbars it's a blast. It is the one with the tunnel under the Parkway if you have been through there or have heard mention of it....
Not surprised to hear that all the gated roads are closed in January. That's a great link to the fs roads pdf.

I have been led down that FS road with the tunnel before but didn't know where I was or how to get back. Cool, I'll have to check that out again when it opens back up. Watched a video of dljocky through there not long ago.. He couldn't tell me how to get back there either. Probably your video.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #19720
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,066
I am riding on Sunday but on Saturday, I am looking for someone to help me do yardwork (blow/pick up leaves, cut/spread a bunch of monkey grass, spread mulch, etc) from around 0800-1630. Is $10/hr plus drive time and free lunch fair? PM me if interested, all work confidential.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #19721
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Not surprised to hear that all the gated roads are closed in January. That's a great link to the fs roads pdf.

I have been led down that FS road with the tunnel before but didn't know where I was or how to get back. Cool, I'll have to check that out again when it opens back up. Watched a video of dljocky through there not long ago.. He couldn't tell me how to get back there either. Probably your video.
It was my video and I am starting to believe dljocky plays stupid with directions... He can't possibly be as bad with directions as he says he is... Though that area can get confusing. There is a turn I miss about every time and I know I missed it when I see the chain link gates to the Lynchburg reservoir.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #19722
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
It was my video and I am starting to believe dljocky plays stupid with directions... He can't possibly be as bad with directions as he says he is... Though that area can get confusing. There is a turn I miss about every time and I know I missed it when I see the chain link gates to the Lynchburg reservoir.
And you believed him.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #19723
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Oh yeah. I'm that bad with directions. Actually, I'm way worst than I lead on. But hey, I love to ride, and I've got great friends that helps me out in that area.

Quote:
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #19724
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
If you guys have not seen this before it is an excellent dual sport resource:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5392127.pdf
That is indeed a great resource. I printed it out a couple months ago and have been systematically looking for fun roads to ride. My goal is to have a master copy with highlights of all the fun roads. Lots of riding to do still and I like it that way.

Thanks so much for checking out the status of the gate. It is a nice ride back to that gate so no worries if it is closed. It is also pretty much on the way to the general area.

Who may be in for saturday? I plan to leave about 8 AM ish from Midlothian. We could meet at Cafe Caturra on the Midlo Turnpike at 7:55AM and grab a coffee and bite then head out.. ..

it's at:

13830 Village Place Drive
Midlothian, VA 23114

Many times I like to leave with first light, and that is oKay with me also...

I have a green light to go on saturday so I am making a day of it :)

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #19725
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Oh yeah. I'm that bad with directions. Actually, I'm way worst than I lead on. But hey, I love to ride, and I've got great friends that helps me out in that area.
But you/we eventually get to the destination. May not be in the original plan.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote