Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
op you should relace your wheel and respoke with some heavy duty gauge spokes...the original ones are weak...if rim is ok you dont need to replace

I use excel and stainless one size gauge thicker spokes and nipples on my 88 xr600

good luck!

PS. I also ziptie the spokes together in case they come apart during a race or trip....that way it wont destroy other parts of the wheel tire...or tube...

christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
martin.kryjom OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Hi.
THANK U All! I was worry very much that all that effords do bring engine from us to poland is done for nothing and i will need to deal with customs again:)

I think to replace swing arm for disk brakes but it looks like frame has to be chnged also. Not because of the rear brake cylinder but because rear shock. If i use rear swing arm from after 1990 then i shoul use shock from that year. I got that one and i try it once but there is very litlle (1mm!) space between frame and the spring.
What do U think guys?
martin.kryjom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #18
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,877
You have the single carb engine so the disc swing arm should line up no problem. It would be an issue if you had twin carbs.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #19
Ivanych
Ivanych

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin.kryjom View Post
Hi.
THANK U All! I was worry very much that all that effords do bring engine from us to poland is done for nothing and i will need to deal with customs again:)

I think to replace swing arm for disk brakes but it looks like frame has to be chnged also. Not because of the rear brake cylinder but because rear shock. If i use rear swing arm from after 1990 then i shoul use shock from that year. I got that one and i try it once but there is very litlle (1mm!) space between frame and the spring.
What do U think guys?
Hi Martin!
I installed the swingarm XR650L and disc brake in the frame XR500R.
This is possible, see my thread.

Good luck!
Ivanych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #20
martin.kryjom OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanych View Post
Hi Martin!
I installed the swingarm XR650L and disc brake in the frame XR500R.
This is possible, see my thread.

Good luck!
wow, SO GREAT JOB!
I know i can swap swing arm, but what about the rear shock, which one to use, this one for the 1990 or 1991> , is a problem in the frame to use 1991 with 1990 frame
Look at the picture, i made this try before i have started this rebulid.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #21
martin.kryjom OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
op you should relace your wheel and respoke with some heavy duty gauge spokes...the original ones are weak...if rim is ok you dont need to replace

I use excel and stainless one size gauge thicker spokes and nipples on my 88 xr600

good luck!

PS. I also ziptie the spokes together in case they come apart during a race or trip....that way it wont destroy other parts of the wheel tire...or tube...

christian
Thank u. I almost ordered new one from Honda. I have new exel rims. I know is a problem to get new spokes for old lady so can anybody advice online shop?
Best regards
Martin
Old 01-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #22
martin.kryjom OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Martin, looks like engine mounting point, not an issue. Mount up the motor and run it through its paces and then check for leaks. On the rear wheel- go with the 94 or whatever you can find to get a disk mounted. Adding the 30+ pounds to the weight for auxiliary fuel tanks, the stock drum will wear out real fast at race speeds. I raced a 91 factory prepped HRC 626 for a few years and went through rear brakes often, sometimes on only a 250 mile race. Have you looked into the removable sub frame option yet? Copy a CR 250/450 design. Find diagram on the web. Add sleeves at mount points and gussets with holes drilled at all weld points. I will look for pics of my old girl to show you.

Coil- double it up with two units.
Ignition- update to XRL 650
Clutch- heavier springs and plates.
Oil cooler- use XR 400 unit, mount 2 up one on top of the other- cool oil,is your best friend.
Frame- gusset the rear mounts where connected at swing arm- just peace of mind- poor welds here.
Wheels- heavy duty spokes, especially on much heavier rear. Stockers will snap on a square edge high speed bump.

More if my feeble mind can recall what my team did back in 91-2.

Keep the posts coming. - Jerry
Hi Jerry. U are my guide now,thank U!
Double coil with 2 units?Well i get confused on that as we have one cylinder only so one unit for one spark, is the 2nd as a emergency one?(sorry for that dummy question but i just confused:)
Clutch-done
Oil cooler-i will use mark set, looks great. I could not buy xr 400 anymore in Europe , only in very bad shape.
Frame-every day im closer to buy that last new frame from the Honda dealer and design new subframe for it.
Havy duty spokes, domu know the place i could ordered it online?
Best regards
Martin
Old 01-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #23
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

buchanans spokes

custom made for any bike

$115 for the set...

I bought stainless spokes for the front on ebay, made by white brothers...aka buchanans, jajaja

about the shock and swingarm issues...

is your frame bent?

Im using an xrl shock which is bigger than the original 88 shock...tight but works awesome!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #24
martin.kryjom OP
Adventurer

Quote:
buchanans spokes

custom made for any bike

$115 for the set...

I bought stainless spokes for the front on ebay, made by white brothers...aka buchanans, jajaja

about the shock and swingarm issues...

is your frame bent?

Im using an xrl shock which is bigger than the original 88 shock...tight but works awesome!
I will check that spokes. No , frame is no bent, it was laser messured and all was fine. I have bought that bike from old german guy , not too much offroad on that bike.
There is still a smal gap but very litlle...
Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #25
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

martin in that pic it looks like the spring is hitting the frame...mine was tight but not that tight

make sure when you measure that all the bearings and bolts in the linkages are new and correctly fitted...

like I said I have a 2002 or so xrl shock which is much wider than the 88 shock and it fits,..in fact the frame fit is fine, the airbox is wher I had to move it around a bit so it would rub too much

good luck!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #26
martin.kryjom OP
Adventurer

Quote:
martin in that pic it looks like the spring is hitting the frame...mine was tight but not that tight

make sure when you measure that all the bearings and bolts in the linkages are new and correctly fitted...

like I said I have a 2002 or so xrl shock which is much wider than the 88 shock and it fits,..in fact the frame fit is fine, the airbox is wher I had to move it around a bit so it would rub too much

good luck!
All is lase4 messured so is i think ok., it looks like that on pictures.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #27
martin.kryjom OP
Adventurer

After sending frame i have found 2 problems.

I would like to clean and flush that part of frame wchich holds oil, what can i use fir that, normal engine cleaning stuff or may be there is some special cover inside and i should be carrefull with that?

2. I have found that the guy who did sending did not cover small holes in the frame where water shoud go out if needed. As a result i have some send on the frame, hiw can i remove that?

Please help...
Best regards
Martin
Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #28
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,877
Solvent, paint thinner, kerosene,

Here's my bike. It took 50 to 60 flushs to get the solvent to come out clean.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #29
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

jaja this is very common after sandblasting

kerosene or solvent flushes, many of them

use a coffee filter and STRAIN the solvent

you must do this until the coffee filter and solvent comes out clean...something like 20 flushes moving the frame all around

use 1 liter of solvent every time, buy 3 or 4 galons of solvent(kerosene, mineral spirits, thinner, acetone etc...) it needs to be thinner than oil obviously

steve has a nice pic of this method on his engine rebuild thread for an xrl.

good luck

christian
Old 01-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #30
martin.kryjom OP
Adventurer

Hi
Thanks a lot for help.
Best regards
Martin