Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #16
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
The concept of automatic dynamic balancing is real, provable physics and is applied in other industrial and commercial applications (fans at nuclear power plants between service intervals and consumer washing machines are a couple of examples)

I can't speak for Dynabeads but I've been using Ride-On TPS (a liquid that applies the same concept) for the past few years in several bikes with good results. The amount of it that I use varies from 6-9 fl. oz. (which is about 6-9 oz. by weight) depending upon tire size so 2 oz. of Dynabeads seems light to me.

How many miles on your tires? It could be tire wear causing the vibrations.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #17
Jeff B
I apologize

Oddometer: 5,306
Huh, somebody here has no profile, or posting history.

I have one, nothing to hide here, kinda gives me some credibility.

Anybody here smell something?

Disconnected......... "The random thing was Grape Ape was there too"

Jeff B screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 01:42 PM
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #18
MotorradMike
MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultane View Post
Tire spin balance machines cannot/do not work if you place dyna beads in the tire.
Exactly.

The MCN article is pretty old now, I thought we were past that.
MCN made a mistake in their testing.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
MotorradMike
MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer: 996
[QUOTE=kurtaxline;20444954]cost me roughly $500 to fix and ultimately remove./QUOTE]

If I spent that much trying to balance a tire, I wouldn't post it here.
These guys can be a bit rough on you if you mouth off while looking stupid.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #20
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,141
nice 1st post.

hit the RETURN key once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtaxline View Post
These guys are a total scam..!! The owner doesn't even know how to explain the physics of the product. Don't believe their nice little animation on their web... it's total BS..!! IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS PRODUCT DID NOT WORK FOR ME..!!! But, I found out the hard way. They're REAL easy to put in... but taking them out is a very expensive endeavor. You've got to break down your wheels if you don't like the product to get them out. I used them in my 2009 Harley Street Glide and got a real bad vibration around 60MPH and up. After the many phone calls to Innovative Balancing's "tech support" (which is a complete joke because they don't have any tech support) they couldn't explain it at all... all they could say was that it had to be something loose or wrong with the bike. So, I spent several hundreds of dollars between having my tires aligned with the rim (the dot and the valve stem), having my Fall Away checked-out, having my rims checked for defects, having every nut and bolt checked-out and ultimately having the wheels broken down to remove the POS DynaBead BS product. Went back to weights and immediately lost the vibration. Will NEVER use a scam product like this again and will NEVER deal with these Innovative Balancing yahoos again. DON'T DO IT..!! I only wish someone would have warned me beforehand. When I finally called to ask for my money back, all Carol (the owner) and her minions would say was "we'll gladly refund any unused product". When I asked how I could get my money back since I had obviously used it, they again just said (like a broken record) "we'll gladly refund any unused product". This meant of course that I was not getting any money back. I've never received any money back from them for my "used" product. In summary, their little white ceramic beads that go so easily in the valve stem, cost me roughly $500 to fix and ultimately remove. Don't be a sucker... they're counting on it..!!
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #21
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 467
Ya know that some people believe in a witching rod to find water for a well or precious metals! I mean, really believe it, even educated science type people. I've seen dowsing with a piece of wire in action. An unnamed oil company hired a professional dowser to find water in 1981 after drilling 3 dry wells. Note very remote area. Oil drilling requires lots of water to mix mud concrete etc. The dowser failed and no water was found. The oil company had to "steal water at night' to drill the well. But that is another story.

Dyna beads though, appear to real have real physical properties to test. I am a skeptic in all things, see it to believe it guy, but thought I would give the beads a try because the concept seemed reasonable.

I mounted new Mefo explorers front and back on my 990 without balancing or beads. Took the bike out and ran up it and settled at a cruise speed of 75-80. The bike vibrated from out-of-balanced wheels/tires. I put in the beads... 2 ounces rear and 1 ounce front. Ran the bike again and most of the vibration was gone. Added about 1/2 ounce more to each tire and ran the bike up again. Not perfect but they did appear to balance the tires. The balance was not as good as before but I had gone from stock scorpions to an aggressive tread with harder rubber. I had to figure that these tires would never be as smooth as the stock tires.

For what it's worth I am a believer in the beads.

Just saying that dyna beads can be scientifically tested with the right experiment. My test while convincing to me is no scientific method of testing. If I managed a mc magazine I sure would conduct a scientific test and get the facts out one way or another.

KJ

knobbyjoe screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 04:21 PM Reason: Baad speler
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
dmftoy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
Just saying that dyna beads can be scientifically tested with the right experiment. My test while convincing to me is no scientific method of testing. If I managed a mc magazine I sure would conduct a scientific test and get the facts out one way or another.

KJ
Amen!!
dmftoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #23
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,833
A tire shop didn't have the correct adapter to balance the wheels on my Ford F450 and tossed in the beads instead. From expeareance, they did not work at all.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #24
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtaxline View Post
I used them in my 2009 Harley Street Glide and got a real bad vibration around 60MPH and up.
You ride a Harley and you actually noticed vibration? Never heard of that before!
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
The balance test test for them could be done using one of the on-the-car balancers. I've never understood why that test has apparently never been done by either the pro or anti folk. Seems to me, that would be the test to do.
foxtrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #26
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Here is a "test" for balancing beads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB5m79SYgt8

This is is an example that is not conclusive or even acceptable as a scientific test.

Glaring questions:
Are there really beads in that tire?
If there are beads how about adding some more!
How about a pre run without beads and then with beads?
How about first balancing a tire to show that the machine works?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #27
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ullnFQD4F1I

Example of dynamic balancing principle.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #28
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,708
I've used them in, I think, ten sets of tires over 35,000 miles. D-606 Knobbies and Metzeler Enduro's(think all terrain tread) and had a smooooooooth ride each and every time.
If they didn't work they would have been out of the tubes within 50 miles and I would have gone and gotten them balanced.
So yeah, I like them.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #29
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 4,024
I put a new (used) set of tires on my winter set-up (Jetta, non TDI)

I balanced the tires with airsoft BB's. I have driven the car pretty extensively since October. Including a few interstate trips at cruisin speeds. (not as fast as the OP though). But they have performed just as I would expect a computer balance to ride, no shakes or weirdness.

I ran them for the first time in my old CB, which I ended up trading for the Jetta.

They make a nice soothing "rainstick" kind of sound if you can roll them around a bit, but other than that I have been very pleased with the BB's. I've yet to dismount one however, and I expect that to be interesting, unless I can come up with something clever.

I know this thread is about the Dyna beads, so hopefully I've muddied the waters a bit more.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #30
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,302
I use air soft bbs, too, on my BMW GS Adv. My tires wear real fast but no instability at WFO. And yeah, I am there pretty often. 126.8 on the Big Ugly with TKC's. If they will handle that, they will handle most anything you can throw at 'em. JMO.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote