Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #6436
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
I think it will be telling whether Cyril drag races Lopez in the final km's. If the gap is more than 4', advantage Chaleco. If it's substantially less than 4', we'll know that Cyril put the hammer down.

Well he is sub 4' at 3'37 which is telling
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #6437
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Did you do some of Scotts routes?
Nah, just pootled about on a rental with Putts. Rode Titus Canyon and a couple of the easier trails.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #6438
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
ooohhh yellowwwwww
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #6439
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Hey, Nate. Just back from riding in Death Valley. You guys have some great riding out there.
For sure! Coming from the congested part of the country, it amazes me how vast it is out there.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #6440
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

first 6 guys are though Wp9
Old 01-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #6441
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 936
CD +3m44s @WP9, Pain +7m30s
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #6442
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Good luck to those still on the ropes, and godspeed to those who never left the scene.
I'm sitting on a plane in Chicago bound for Lima on January 3, 2011. Two guys wearing moto gear board just before the door was closed. As luck would have it I had 2 empty seats next to me so I introduced myself and asked if they wanted to sit next to me. Patrice and Marc are French though Patrice is a US citizen and owns a bistro in Venice Beach California. They were flying to La Paz to pick up bikes and follow Dakar in North Chile. I explained that I was returning to Cusco to collect my bike and resume my trip south. We hit it off and spent the long flight swapping stories and laughing. I especially hit it off with Patrice who was like a brother from another mother to me. We both had this love of bikes and travel that seemed to connect us. I so wanted to ride with these guys I almost changed my trip plans to follow Dakar with them. But I had big riding plans in Bolivia that I had been looking forward to since I left home a year earlier. So we resolved to stay in touch and possibly rendezvous in Bolivia after the race.

Patrice was dead a week later after a head on collision with a car in N. Chile.

I share this story as a reminder to those folks who dream about flying down and chasing Dakar by motorbike. It's absolute pandemonium around the start, finish, bivouacs, and just about everywhere in between. And that's just the traffic and people factor, on top of this you can expect fuel shortages, lodging shortages, and even food shortages in some places. Keep your head on a swivel when you're down there and be prepared for inconveniences. It's all part of the experience.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #6443
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
I will agree on many parts of this. I am not a nostalgia type of guy holding on to something that no longer exists. I applaud how the ASO has embraced South America and don't wish for a return to Africa. I also don't mind the shorter, more technical stages and will even opine that they are might even be tougher than some of the African stages.

What I don't like are these last minute changes that remove an aspect of the race that has always been a core ingredient regardless of the stage or the location, things like navigation, the need to be mechanically adept, the improvisation. I can accept the ASO tailoring the routing to allow for fan access and media accessibility, but the core things that set the Dakar apart from say, the Rally Maroc or the Merzouga are key ingredients like the marathon, the self service, and the regs that dictated only help from competitors during the racing stage.

I am more than willing to accept and embrace change, I love the 450 rules for instance, but when that change negatively impacts the core makeup of the rally, then it begins to move too far away.
my (not so) evil twin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #6444
Bicycle Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Thanks once again to the hardcore firehose folks(you know who you are) for the great entertainment!!!!

Nate/Neil/All....question

Regarding Lyndon....is he getting passed by car traffic?

If so, approx how far into the average stage do the cars start to catch him?

Thank you: MX1West, Renazco Racing, KTM Twins, Rally Management Services
Bicycle Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #6445
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
I'm all for change and keeping up with the times also... hey if the right tool for the job and market is a two week series of point

That was my need to express myself ted...
Cheers

I don't speak authoritatively, sorry if it came across that way. I was just giving an opinion, something we all have. Mine come from the view of a spectator, not a participant in the race. Who knows, maybe all the racers are stoked to have mechanics work on their bike mid stage...who knows..not me

Last minute rule changes are not a new thing in the Dakar, just something I wanted to point out Todays media just lets us know about them within nanoseconds...maybe thats the difference ?

Back to our regular scheduled programming

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #6446
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:

Let's say that you were Mr Yamazaki,,, and you had invested millions, designing and developing an all new from the ground up 450 cc rally engine... not a revamped version of yor existing production mx powerplant, but a from the blue prints up, built for the application, larger oil capacipty, bigger cooling system, longer service interval, lesser stressed state of tune 450cc rally engine and you had based your tactics on the fact that you thgink you can go the whole 14 days one one motor,,, based on the servicing regulations as they are written, wouldnät YOU be pissed 8at a corporate level) when suddenly the rules are cahnged the evening before, that allow the competition (on their 1, 2 liter oill acapacity mx based machines) to repeatedly service and fettle the high stress/maintenance intensive competition style engines?

I have no doubt that a push to have more of this type access/assistance/service comes from the factory teams (autos and bikes)... but it is headed the way of desert F1... not desert marathon rallying. Now that may be the way to go... but give teams the chance to be informed and work within the new framework...

That was my need to express myself ted...
Kind of like the year that PanAm built the 525 for Jonah, under the rules that there would be top speed limits on the stages. Night of the briefing, announced that speed limits are annule..

Not that I agree with artificial speed limits on the SS, but if those are the rules put out at registration...

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #6447
El Cucuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
again... spot on... it's becoming another type of race...

Caselli and the others in the new school won't have to learn to navigate... the course will be WFO GPS cross country GNCC soon.
Funny--was starting to think the same thing...think of all the ribbon it will take to mark the 2017 course!!

I'm not smart enough to figure out the math, but I've been wondering how much navigating KC has even been doing so far during the stages considering he had never even seen a roadbook or ridden a rally bike before arriving just prior to the race.

Probably just playing a little bit of leapfrog and latching on to someone and following along on the roadbook?

Judging by Despres' comments, it seems like that's what a lot of the guys up front are doing anyway.

Re: KC--looks like he is playing it really cool/smart so far, hope he can keep it up. I'd bet on a top 10 finish if he can.

Watching him out at H&Hs, he is so smooth you don't realize how fast he is going until you realize he is bouncing off the rev limiter in 5th on his SX coming over a big whooped-out, rocky hill blind.

Would've been great to have had Quinn Cody in the mix this year, also--he would've been right there up front, imho.
El Cucuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #6448
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Cyril snacking while the mechanics get busy.

Pain

Casteu
why am I not surprised at this?

ASO won't give us live tracking , but they allow the shenanigans of last years' Marathon stage and 5 minute lube jobs on a neutralized section inside a Special
Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #6449
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Pain still opening but Cyril closing..

2) 009 - PAIN Olivier (FRA) YAMAHA (1) 12:07:41
- (3) 012 - PEDRERO Juan (ESP) KTM (2) 12:08:46
- (1) 010 - CASTEU David (FRA) YAMAHA 09:17:12 (3) 12:09:16
- (4) 017 - BOTTURI ALESSANDRO (ITA) HUSQVARNA (4) 12:09:42
- (5) 001 - DESPRES Cyril (FRA) KTM 09:24:20 (5) 12:09:55
- (7) 007 - LOPEZ Francisco (CHL) KTM 09:25:41 (6) 12:10:11
Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #6450
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
I'm sitting on a plane in Chicago bound for Lima on January 3, 2011. Two guys wearing moto gear board just before the door was closed. As luck would have it I had 2 empty seats next to me so I introduced myself and asked if they wanted to sit next to me. Patrice and Marc are French though Patrice is a US citizen and owns a bistro in Venice Beach California. They were flying to La Paz to pick up bikes and follow Dakar in North Chile. I explained that I was returning to Cusco to collect my bike and resume my trip south. We hit it off and spent the long flight swapping stories and laughing. I especially hit it off with Patrice who was like a brother from another mother to me. We both had this love of bikes and travel that seemed to connect us. I so wanted to ride with these guys I almost changed my trip plans to follow Dakar with them. But I had big riding plans in Bolivia that I had been looking forward to since I left home a year earlier. So we resolved to stay in touch and possibly rendezvous in Bolivia after the race.

Patrice was dead a week later after a head on collision with a car in N. Chile.

I share this story as a reminder to those folks who dream about flying down and chasing Dakar by motorbike. It's absolute pandemonium around the start, finish, bivouacs, and just about everywhere in between. And that's just the traffic and people factor, on top of this you can expect fuel shortages, lodging shortages, and even food shortages in some places. Keep your head on a swivel when you're down there and be prepared for inconveniences. It's all part of the experience.
Thats terrible, man. I totally get you on the pan american highway though, its crazy out there.