User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
gslf OP
Everything Wheels

Oddometer: 157
motorcycle transport

I want to take my bike to Europe this year. Does anyone have any experience shipping with Motorcycle Express from Canada to Germany?
gslf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by gslf View Post
I want to take my bike to Europe this year. Does anyone have any experience shipping with Motorcycle Express from Canada to Germany?
I can't imagine this would be cheaper than renting or selling/buying/selling unless you're moving a $20,000 new motorcycle.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
gslf OP
Everything Wheels

I'm staying 4-5weeks in fall 2013 and than in spring 2014. I considered renting (i know some dealers), but it will be very expensive too. Because of the long time over there,2 mounth, that's why i'm thinking of having my own bike over there.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 615
They make it pretty easy and part of that convenience comes at a cost. That said - you can ship out of Toronto, and be on the same flight as your bike for less than $3k (one way).
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
gslf OP
Everything Wheels

2200 can$, Calgary to Munich, for this year.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
2200 can$, Calgary to Munich, for this year.
Seems reasonable. Where you headed?
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
What about buying then selling? I doubt you would see $2000 depreciation in a month or two.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
gslf OP
Everything Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
Seems reasonable. Where you headed?
we (friend of mine in germany) are planing pyreenes in the fall and GB in spring.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
gslf OP
Everything Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
What about buying then selling? I doubt you would see $2000 depreciation in a month or two.
Buying and selling and insurance is easier said than done.
It is something to think about, but i do like my bike to come with me.

Nice RR on scotland. Last time i was there was 1992.

gslf screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 11:30 AM
Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,336
I haven´t sent across the Atlantic. But usually, when the distance is long enough, LCL (less than container load) seafreight is the cheapest way to send one single bike. There are a few things to remember, though: it is more laborous than letting some company, who offer this service do it for you, you may need to use a crate to pack the bike, and some points of entry to EU these days seem to demand a rather large bond, that is to be returned, when the bike leaves. I´d avoid sending to those places. Costs at the receiving end are also something to be wary of, always, but especially when you freight by sea.

For reference, I payed almost exactly 700 euros total to send my DL650 by sea from Sydney to Helsinki (but it was 5 years ago). This even included the services of a freight agent in Oz. Distance must be longer than US West Coast to Europe. Costs at the receiving end were almost 200 euros of that 700, but it was still cheap. By air would´ve definitely cost me double or triple.

I bet there´s a LOT of sea freight going back and forth across the Atlantic all the time, so you should have plenty of options to choose from. (But I´m not saying this is the easiest option, definitely not).

Pecha72 screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 12:02 PM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
I did the buy and sell thing for 2 months for a New Zealand trip. Cheapest way to go for sure, but it takes time out of your trip. Took me 2-3 days to buy and another 2-3 days to sell it. You need to make sure you have a good market for selling it or else you'll be hooped.

If you can buy ahead of your trip this will help. Perhaps also try to sell it ahead too.

But its just more logistics to deal with.

Best thing is to steal a bike when you get there, then just dump it when you are done.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #12
gslf OP
Everything Wheels

Best thing is to steal a bike when you get there, then just dump it when you are done.[/QUOTE]

I'm looking over my shoulder a lot already, now i woudn't be looking ahead at all.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #13
gslf OP
Everything Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
I haven´t sent across the Atlantic. But usually, when the distance is long enough, LCL (less than container load) seafreight is the cheapest way to send one single bike. There are a few things to remember, though: it is more laborous than letting some company, who offer this service do it for you, you may need to use a crate to pack the bike, and some points of entry to EU these days seem to demand a rather large bond, that is to be returned, when the bike leaves. I´d avoid sending to those places. Costs at the receiving end are also something to be wary of, always, but especially when you freight by sea.

For reference, I payed almost exactly 700 euros total to send my DL650 by sea from Sydney to Helsinki (but it was 5 years ago). This even included the services of a freight agent in Oz. Distance must be longer than US West Coast to Europe. Costs at the receiving end were almost 200 euros of that 700, but it was still cheap. By air would´ve definitely cost me double or triple.

I bet there´s a LOT of sea freight going back and forth across the Atlantic all the time, so you should have plenty of options to choose from. (But I´m not saying this is the easiest option, definitely not).
I don't want to be without the bike for long time here or there, and as you said there are problems with sea freight too.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:41 AM   #14
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,336
Quote:
I don't want to be without the bike for long time here or there, and as you said there are problems with sea freight too.
Yes, there are possible pitfalls. But airfreight isn´t completely free of those, either. When someone (like Motorcycle Express) offers this kind of service, they handle the paperwork, but always do it for a fee, naturally. If you do it yourself, you might save a bit, no matter if you send by air or by sea. But then you have to do your homework really well (and for air, you´ll need a Dangerous Goods-document from somebody, who´s certified to issue it, so that one you can´t DIY). I think, however, that US <-> Europe is not the most complicated region in the world to send something.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #15
eightup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I'm shipping my bike through Stefan Knopf at Knopf tours here in March. I believe quite a few other people have shipped through him before. He has been more than helpful over the phone and by email already. I am paying 1300 to go from Florida to Germany and that price includes all the custom fees and insurance. So I should just be able to show up and ride off which will be nice.

The container is shipping over in March if you want to see if theres room, just gotta get the bike to florida first.

http://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Welcome.html
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote