User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #61
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,560
Here's what you gotta do.

1) You've got the denial letter. Go thru the stages of grief, and get to acceptance. Beer is cheap in Mexico, if necessary. Also, you are in Cancun.

2) Look at a world map. Find Cancun. Find your house. Examine the distance. Examine the distance to/from the other places you hope to go on this trip. Imagine having a recurrence of this problem anywhere along that route. If you're going further into Central America, BMW dealers are not any easier to find.

3) Look in a mirror. Do you look like a Gringo? Do you sound like a gringo? Remember, you're in Mexico, and when in Mexico, the Mexicans make the rules. Doesn't matter if its fair or not. Remember, politeness rules in Mexico. Mexicans, in general, do not like asshole Gringos. DON'T be an asshole gringo in this deal. If necessary, make up, suck up, buy the shop buys beer or pizza if you have to. Become the anti-gringo. Cancun is full of gringos. I bet the BMW shop has some excellent gringo stories. Don't become one.

4) If you want to be an adventurer, every now and then you will have to pay a stupid / learning / adventure tax. Its happened to me. Suck up and do it right. Do you want (or are you able) to drive all around Cancun looking for a place to resurface your clutch plates so you can save a few bucks? Do you think the shop techs want to do it for some cheap ass gringo who doesn't want to spend money with them? (We are all rich gringos) And what if it can't be resurfaced because its junk anyways? Is easy to do that when you have a shop back home and the abilities and facilities to do a refurbished parts job correctly, and test the results around home. I'd probably try it. But, in the far toe of Mexico, buy the whole darn clutch, the seals, do it right and put it back to together right. In Mexico, parts are expensive, but the labor is cheap. You have a labor intensive job. Doing it the right way, BMW Mexico should then stand behind you if its done wrong. What if you halfass it, get back (or limp back) home (or just as far as Mexico City), then get to pay (possibly with US labor) to fix it all over again- the right way?

Remember, you're in Mexico to have fun and relax. This isn't fun or relaxing right now, but its a man-story for later to tell all your friends how you survived Mexico. This ain't no run to the corner Starbucks. Grab your huevos, empty your wallet, and embrace the adventure that is yours.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #62
Shango
Hi

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Here's what you gotta do.

1) You've got the denial letter. Go thru the stages of grief, and get to acceptance. Beer is cheap in Mexico, if necessary. Also, you are in Cancun.

2) Look at a world map. Find Cancun. Find your house. Examine the distance. Examine the distance to/from the other places you hope to go on this trip. Imagine having a recurrence of this problem anywhere along that route. If you're going further into Central America, BMW dealers are not any easier to find.

3) Look in a mirror. Do you look like a Gringo? Do you sound like a gringo? Remember, you're in Mexico, and when in Mexico, the Mexicans make the rules. Doesn't matter if its fair or not. Remember, politeness rules in Mexico. Mexicans, in general, do not like asshole Gringos. DON'T be an asshole gringo in this deal. If necessary, make up, suck up, buy the shop buys beer or pizza if you have to. Become the anti-gringo. Cancun is full of gringos. I bet the BMW shop has some excellent gringo stories. Don't become one.

4) If you want to be an adventurer, every now and then you will have to pay a stupid / learning / adventure tax. Its happened to me. Suck up and do it right. Do you want (or are you able) to drive all around Cancun looking for a place to resurface your clutch plates so you can save a few bucks? Do you think the shop techs want to do it for some cheap ass gringo who doesn't want to spend money with them? (We are all rich gringos) And what if it can't be resurfaced because its junk anyways? Is easy to do that when you have a shop back home and the abilities and facilities to do a refurbished parts job correctly, and test the results around home. I'd probably try it. But, in the far toe of Mexico, buy the whole darn clutch, the seals, do it right and put it back to together right. In Mexico, parts are expensive, but the labor is cheap. You have a labor intensive job. Doing it the right way, BMW Mexico should then stand behind you if its done wrong. What if you halfass it, get back (or limp back) home (or just as far as Mexico City), then get to pay (possibly with US labor) to fix it all over again- the right way?

Remember, you're in Mexico to have fun and relax. This isn't fun or relaxing right now, but its a man-story for later to tell all your friends how you survived Mexico. This ain't no run to the corner Starbucks. Grab your huevos, empty your wallet, and embrace the adventure that is yours.
These are wise words... You could have broke your leg, had a $6k hospital bill and still had to ship you bike home so this a best worst case scenario. Enjoy feeling good in a great place and forget my previous posts!
Thanks for the reality check, Mark.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #63
Veter OP
Motoviajero

Oddometer: 45
Thanks for the nice words, guys! And I'm not frustrated after all. When I planned this trip I knew that I would experience different problems. And that is the part of the trip. Moreover, this situation seems to be pretty easy to resolve as it can be fixed with money and I still have money. So the real challenges are in future and I'm looking forward to facing them as I welcome all the good things that happen to me as well :)
Veter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #64
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veter View Post
Thanks for advice everyone :)

I received the offiial answer from Motorrad MX. To cut it short, they gently told me to &$@ off.
That must be the standard official BMW corporate response. I got the same response when I asked for help with my failed FD.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #65
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Thanks for the nice words, guys! And I'm not frustrated after all. When I planned this trip I knew that I would experience different problems. And that is the part of the trip. Moreover, this situation seems to be pretty easy to resolve as it can be fixed with money and I still have money. So the real challenges are in future and I'm looking forward to facing them as I welcome all the good things that happen to me as well :)

Enjoy your trip. I’d trade places with you
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:41 AM   #66
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
That must be the standard official BMW corporate response. I got the same response when I asked for help with my failed FD.
Exactly, don't be afraid to pursue this further with Motorad in the country where you bought the bike.
BMW, like Volkswagen, have a bad habit of running away and hiding when you have issues with their products.
I've seen GS1200's stuck in sand, water, climb some very difficult mountains, etc... here in Mexico and they didn't suffer the failure that yours did.
I would also expect a clear and truthful explanation of why Munchen Motors didn't diagnose the problems when they had the bike. Seems to me like the techs where too busy thinking about Santa Claus and the Three Kings coming to visit, than they were about their job.
Yes, it is Mexico, that is clear, but you can still pursue this if you want.
For those of us that live here, you might be doing us a favor.
Anyhow, best of luck and let me know if you are coming through while you are here in Mexico.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #67
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I would also expect a clear and truthful explanation of why Munchen Motors didn't diagnose the problems when they had the bike. Seems to me like the techs where too busy thinking about Santa Claus and the Three Kings coming to visit, than they were about their job.

Gotta agree with Mike2 here... Looking at your pics, and based on your description of what's wrong - I can't believe they even moved your bike under power based on what your clutch looks like. That thing had to shudder like a drunk with the DTs at any point from start up to clutch out. Any two-bit BMW mech with any experience should have been able to at least suspect bad clutch. But, its water over the dam at this point.

Maybe what you could do is get some more really good pics of the dead clutch, and you could write a quality bitch&moan letter to BMW USA when you get back home. I have a feeling they'll write the same letter in English, but you should also write a separate letter to BMW MEX complaining about what kinda of idiot wouldn't catch this during your first go around. Some folks might suggest keeping the old parts, but dragging those around Mexico like some sort of albatross around your neck would be bad ju-ju, and only bring night terrors. Just take a bunch of pics of the carnage.

I'm sure you know, if you're not having fun in Mexico, you're missing the point. Hope you can get back on the road soon. Go see Mike2 if you've got the chance- he's posted pics of some great roads he knows around Veracruz, I'd like some further verification.
Also, feel free to stop by the Is Mexico Safe thread, to share war stories, pics and lies of adventure. This experience certainly makes you worthy (though it doesn't really take much to be worthy)

I do wish I was down there right now. Be careful and enjoy the adventure!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #68
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,916
Mark, PM me for the ride guide I put together in PDF format (illustrated with photos from actual rides).

Veter, if you come over, you can also meet a good independent BMW factory trained mechanic, Rafael Lagos who runs MotoPits here in Veracruz/Boca del Rio. Good guy, very good rider. You can always resurface the plates and keep them as a spare. Funny that the clutch got so roasted with only that stretch of riding you did, the bike is supposed to take a lot more than that thrown at it. I am wondering if it was light on lube from the factory. Maybe the GS experts can chime in on the lack of lube.
Don't give up the fight.
I was told once by Motorrad Mexico that the cam chain tensioner assembly on the F800/650 was no longer available and they could not say when they could get me one. I informed them of how they couldn't legally sell bikes in Mexico that require that part, they got me a new assembly (found one somehow somewhere) that was the "new and improved" version but turned out to be nothing more than a bundling of the parts currently available (but not anymore) into one convenient and more expensive package.
Like I said, no surrender, keep going with this and see what happens when you shake the tree. Your bike has a warranty from the factory, no matter where you ride it. Yes, they can complain about abuse of their products, but they were sure happy to see Ewan and Charlie drag a pair of big GS bikes all over the world on two separate occasions. That marketing move cost them very little, they should be backing their product as a true adventure bike if they are going to market it as such.
Whew! I feel lighter now!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #69
3horsepack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Throttle body electrical cable disconnected.

Quote:
They did 12k miles service and checked clutch. I didn't have ANY problems with the bike before that. I'll check cables and fuel line, thanks!
Had a similar run condition when I laid my GS down in the sand. The fuel injection electrical cable had come unseated. It looked connected but was not. I disconnected cleaned and reseated. Recycled the key and restarted. just fine. Clutch noise not sure. Just sayin.
3horsepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #70
Veter OP
Motoviajero

Got my bike back from Cancun BMW! Works just fine, clutch sound is different as it is ceramic now. I'm really tired of dealing with Motorrad, so gave up and paid the full amount. Tomorrow I plan to cross to Beliz and continue my trip south.

Everyone, many thanks for your advice and support. PM me for cervezas if you are close.

Mike, Veracruz is kinda far already, will visit you on my way bck ;)
Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #71
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 383
Sorry for your disappointment with Motorrad..but glad your back on your adventure..ride safe eh.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #72
Shango
Hi

Oddometer: 52
Happy riding Veter! Hope you enjoyed the beach...
Old 01-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #73
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

If you got a ceramic clutch, you better not have to worry about that again.

Get out there, ride and have fun!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #74
Veter OP
Motoviajero

Thanks, guys! I'm already in Beliz, clutch seems to be doing good.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #75
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,088
Adventure on Veter...

Glad your rollin Where are all your pic's