Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #16
yeagley23 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
How breathable is the airbag armor and how much did it cost? I haven't been able to find any around me here in Bavaria and I haven't really found a whole lot online either, especially about prices. I am concerned that it won't be very breathable since it has to, obviously, hold air. They are pretty sweet though; great protection!
yeagley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #17
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
I where either the Thor MX Impact rig or a Tourmaster Epic Jacket with custom padding.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #18
Conner
Charlie Ringo

Oddometer: 306
Vanson jacket, Forcefield for the spine and a Zac Speed Exocet over the top. Good venting and H20 on board.
Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #19
JumboJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddbutt View Post
1. Dual Density Foam armor. Closed cell armor - lightweight comfortable. Not good at absorbing high impact energy from a small contact area. Will compress and send the shock to your body. For its thickness it is relatively poor at absorbing high energy forces. You would need extremely thick foam armor to absorb bone breaking shocks. Motoport states that there armor is both closed cell foam and memory foam, the blue part in the pic below is closed cell foam.
4. Visco Elastic Armor This armor becomes hard at impact. There is sas-tec, d3o, and Deflexion (by dow corning).
I recently got a Sas-Tec Level 2 ( 1621-2 ) back protector, and compared with the tri-armor it looks much more consistent and protective. You mention you have the Quad armor, how do you think that one stacks against the Sas-Tec ? The tri-armor is indeed light and easy to wear, but I don't know how it stacks against CE levels, anyway side by side with the Sas-Tec ... it seems too thin and light ...
JumboJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #20
muddbutt
Pork Chop Expert

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeagley23 View Post
How breathable is the airbag armor and how much did it cost? I haven't been able to find any around me here in Bavaria and I haven't really found a whole lot online either, especially about prices. I am concerned that it won't be very breathable since it has to, obviously, hold air. They are pretty sweet though; great protection!
It is fairly unobtrusive when worn and not inflated. You cannot tell that it is an airbag vest. The picture shown is an inflated airbag vest.

There is no discernable effect on airflow with my motoport GP2. I may take a photo later.

Here is a graph showing energy absorption or airbag vs. jacket only vs jacket + back protector. Notice the energy absorption of A- Jacket+air+back protector- that is serious force absorption and could prevent broken bones and minimize serious shock going into the body.
muddbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #21
muddbutt
Pork Chop Expert

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJack View Post
I recently got a Sas-Tec Level 2 ( 1621-2 ) back protector, and compared with the tri-armor it looks much more consistent and protective. You mention you have the Quad armor, how do you think that one stacks against the Sas-Tec ? The tri-armor is indeed light and easy to wear, but I don't know how it stacks against CE levels, anyway side by side with the Sas-Tec ... it seems too thin and light ...
The motoport triarmor seems like cheap closed cell foam. Motoport markets it as the result of 4 years of intensive study in germany. I am not sure any of the motoport armor is CE Level 1 or 2 certified.

Whereas The sas-tec level 2 armor exceeds CE level 2.

I doubt the quad back armor is as good as the new SAS Level 2 back armor at absorbing serious bone breaking forces. although it may feel softer..

Here is why I think that. The quad armor uses Dow Corning's deflexion TP-S. Dow Cornings website states that

"3 layers of Deflexion TP-S will meet CE Level 2. And 2 Layers are required to meet CE Level 1".

Rukkas Deflexion based back protector that is CE level 2 uses 3 big pieces of Deflexion TP-s. Motoport uses 1 layer of deflexion on quad armor for arms, legs, chest, etc., and only uses 1.5 layers of Deflexion for the back. The deflexion is welded to a layer of triarmor. Also, the full layer of the deflexion in the quad armor is only a single strip, maybe 6-8 inches wide that covers the spine. However, to be fair, motoport says that it is the best armor in the world. http://www.motoport.com/QuadArmor2
muddbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:48 AM   #22
JumboJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
The motoport triarmor seems like cheap closed cell foam. Motoport markets it as the result of 4 years of intensive study in germany. I am not sure any of the motoport armor is CE Level 1 or 2 certified.
They don't say anything, but apparently this is by design, as there are a lot of arguments on their site in regard to how the certifications are attributed and by whom.

Quote:
Whereas The sas-tec level 2 armor exceeds CE level 2.

I doubt the quad back armor is as good as the new SAS Level 2 back armor at absorbing serious bone breaking forces. although it may feel softer..

Here is why I think that. The quad armor uses Dow Corning's deflexion TP-S. Dow Cornings website states that

"3 layers of Deflexion TP-S will meet CE Level 2. And 2 Layers are required to meet CE Level 1".

Rukkas Deflexion based back protector that is CE level 2 uses 3 big pieces of Deflexion TP-s. Motoport uses 1 layer of deflexion on quad armor for arms, legs, chest, etc., and only uses 1.5 layers of Deflexion for the back. The deflexion is welded to a layer of triarmor. Also, the full layer of the deflexion in the quad armor is only a single strip, maybe 6-8 inches wide that covers the spine. However, to be fair, motoport says that it is the best armor in the world. http://www.motoport.com/QuadArmor2
Yes, I bought into the motoport arguments, as there are many of them and without other considerations they make sense and look true, but now, when I place the tri-armor back protector against the Sas-Tec Level 2 one, I can't imagine both providing the same level of protection. I might try to make some empirical tests on my own, but I think at least for the back protector I'll look for a level 2 one that will fit ( or could be cut to fit ) the motoport pocket.

Thanks also for your insight on the Quad !
JumboJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #23
mbishara
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Forcefield Pro Pants and Shirt

I was analyzing how safe Kevlar jeans are and then realized that I was only analyzing abrehsion protection. Then I started analyzing impact protection to place under the jeans.

I realized that I would spend too much time strapping things in until I fell upon the Forecefield undershirt and pants.

Supposedly they're both highly rated for impact protection, are comfortable and help to keep you a little bit cooler, although not as cool as when the protection is not there.

I for my small jaunts around the house I'll wear m Kevlar Hood jeans, along with my Forcefield undergarments. And for my longer jaunts I'll still wear my Forcefield but under my leathers or mesh riding gear.

In either case the extra protection is better than not having it.

I spoke to Forcefield in the U.K. today and they even went as far as to tell me that I can even remove the armour that I have on my outer clothing if I feel that it's too tight. Their armor should be more than sufficient.

My personal preference is that, if it's not uncomfortable, I will keep both layers of armour. But at least I won't look like an alien when going for a ten minute ride to a restaurant. And I'll be better protected when going for my longer rides with full riding gear.

You should give Forefield a look. I read les of articles and crash reviews and they seem to be pretty good.
mbishara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #24
mbishara
Adventurer

I forgot to add that a friend of mine swears by it and won't leave the house without that extra protection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 01-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #25
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 601
writeup I did on a new piece of gear that I like a lot.

I plan to wear the draggin shirt over it in the summer.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847629
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #26
totomoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
+1 for SasTec. It always fares well in tests and is really comfortable.
http://www.sas-tec.de/en/
In the U.S., it is available at Revzilla and select motoshops.
totomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #27
mbishara
Adventurer

My Hood jeans came in yesterday. At first they seemed tight until I realized that it's a higher waist line and hd to be hiked up higher than what I would usually do with my Levi's.

Still not sure if my Forcefield under armour will fit properly under the Hood jeans. I'll know more when the Forcefields do come in.

One thing for sure is that I would like to use the Forcefields if I'm riding a few miles with my jeans. Because the Forcefields have additional padding for the thighs and shins in addition to the knees and hips.

The Forcefields are very well rated during impact testing as well while the Hood jeans should be as good as you can get where it relates to riding jean abrasion protection.

I'll be more confident with that combo except for real riding days where it will be my full mesh or leather outfits, still with the Forcefields underneath because of the additionally armour that even my full riding gear does not have (Forcefield undershirt also has a full back protector in addition to shoulder and elbow protection).

http://www.maged-bishara-montreal.ca/
Old 01-08-2013, 04:14 AM   #28
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,461
Just an update on my experiences with the Thor Impact Rig SE since my last post. A couple hundred hours more use on it, about 20 more offs of varying degrees. It still looks pretty much "as new", although it smells a bit. I'm now so used to it, I don't notice when I'm wearing it. I recently wore it over some thermals for the first time. Still very comfy and no holes in the fabric part, despite having worn nothing on my torso other than it during some hot weather.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #29
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,944
I have a full jacket set of Klim d30 armor for sale in the FM if anyone is interested. Good stuff.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote