Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #421
Scutty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
The SMR seat is interchangeable and is a chunk higher I believe - not sure what its like comfort-wise though. I am 6'3" and 34" inseam and the SMT is one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever tried (11hrs riding in one day proved that to me!)

Good luck, its an awesome bike.
My bike anthology: BMW G450X, BMW R1200GSA LC, KTM 690 Enduro R, Yamaha WR250R, Yamaha XT600E, KTM 990 SM-T, Ducati Diavel, Kawasaki Z1000, Suzuki SV1000, Kawasaki Zx7-R, Honda VFR800, Honda CBR600F, Yamaha RD350, Yamaha DT175, Honda CM125, Kawasaki AR125, Kawasaki AE50 - wow I have owned a lot of bikes
Scutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #422
evanphoto
May G-d bless Evel

Oddometer: 415
thanks ultra and scutty!

appreciate it

evanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #423
evanphoto
May G-d bless Evel

silly little question

how long do you'll let your bikes warm up? my first ktm, do i'm not sure of the protocol??

Old 01-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #424
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanphoto View Post
how long do you'll let your bikes warm up? my first ktm, do i'm not sure of the protocol??

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #425
evanphoto
May G-d bless Evel

great idea....

but.... if you read the bmw 12gs manual it gives you all kinds of break in rules. thing is, you ride it like you stole it as everyone knows. i was wondering if that is true with the ktm.....................

Old 01-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #426
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,968
Quote:
On my prior 950 SM which was carbed. Warm out, as long as it took me to put my jacket, gloves, and helmet on. Cold out, same as above and the length of a cigarette.

On a FI bike, fire it and go. Beemers and Katooms are different animals.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #427
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
I have a Super Duke 990 which of course is also powered by an LC8. Per the manual you should let the bike warm up until it reaches 4 bars on the temp guage before operating the bike. Something about equalizing the temps between the cylinders and the pistons.......I'm not an engineer so I don't know if this is truly necessary but since KTM recommends it I follow their advice.
Pork-Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #428
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork-Chop Express View Post
I have a Super Duke 990 which of course is also powered by an LC8. Per the manual you should let the bike warm up until it reaches 4 bars on the temp guage before operating the bike. Something about equalizing the temps between the cylinders and the pistons.......I'm not an engineer so I don't know if this is truly necessary but since KTM recommends it I follow their advice.
I don't see any similar recommendation in my 2011 SMT manual. It only says, "Always warm up the engine at low engine speeds."

Literally, the steps that follow that statement are hit start, put up the side stand, and pop the clutch.

When searching for the term "bars," it considers anything below 6 to be "Engine cold" and 12 bars to be "Engine hot."
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #429
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,968
I sat on an SMT at the recent international moto show while it was in long beach. Felt amazing. So light. She's on my radar as a possible vstrom upgrade when the time comes.
How 'bout some pics owners!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:45 AM   #430
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrachrome View Post
I don't see any similar recommendation in my 2011 SMT manual. It only says, "Always warm up the engine at low engine speeds."

Literally, the steps that follow that statement are hit start, put up the side stand, and pop the clutch.

When searching for the term "bars," it considers anything below 6 to be "Engine cold" and 12 bars to be "Engine hot."
Maybe they don't feel the need to be so specific any more because the bar count thin isn't that big of a deal. I'll probably keep doing it just because it's part of my pre-ride ritual and it really doesn't take a big twin more than a minute to reach 4 bars sitting at idle.
Pork-Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:20 AM   #431
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,694
Quote:
but.... if you read the bmw 12gs manual it gives you all kinds of break in rules. thing is, you ride it like you stole it as everyone knows. i was wondering if that is true with the ktm.....................
It's the same as with break-in.
Just don't molest a cold engine.

If anyone gives an exact answer, it's just their opinion and there's no
way to verify it.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #432
MIghty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
On smt 6 bars on temp gauge. It takes about 5 min or so. Depends on how cold the outside temp is.
MIghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #433
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
I sat on an SMT at the recent international moto show while it was in long beach. Felt amazing. So light. She's on my radar as a possible vstrom upgrade when the time comes.
How 'bout some pics owners!
Plan B:

You can convert a lower-priced used SM to a "T" . . . And have a carbed SMT:

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"

mcmann screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 06:19 AM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #434
evanphoto
May G-d bless Evel

warm up

yeah, lots of good answers for how to warm up the engine. i'm picking up my new friend (smt 2012) tomorrow!! will post some photos and ask about warm up. anything else i should make sure to talk with the dealer about tomorrow??

Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #435
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
yeah, lots of good answers for how to warm up the engine. i'm picking up my new friend (smt 2012) tomorrow!! will post some photos and ask about warm up. anything else i should make sure to talk with the dealer about tomorrow??
The larger windscreen is awesome. Looks decent too. Recommended. The KTM tank bag fits nice, see if they'll give you one.

I should throw up a couple pics...

Congrats on new bike.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote