Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
lonepilgrim OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Conti TKC 80's on a 250 - Anyone tried this?

I am looking for some 50/50 or 70/30 road biased tyres for the spare set of rims on my Kawasaki KLX 250

Has anyone fitted Conti TKC 80's onto a little bike like a 250? Or are they solely designed for 600cc's plus?

The front originally was 3.00-21 51P but I am led to believe this will convert to a 90/90-21

The rear originally was 4.60-18 63P again i'm informed this will convert to a 120/90-18

Does anybody know how I can work out what tyre I would need to fit on a 19" rim?

Thanks in advance

JJ
lonepilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
TKC80's on an NX250

I had a Honda NX250 with TKC80's mounted up.

They were fine once up to speed but on a small, lightweight bike you could practically count the knobs as you came to a stop.

At first I thought something was amiss with the rear brake....but I soon realized it was the thunk-thunk-thunk of the TKC blocks.

I doubt you'd notice this on a big trailie like the BMW GS, etc. But the NX250 only weighs around 260lbs..
Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
Just curious why you are looking at the TKC80's on a bike like the KLX250 that literally has hundred of tire choices available for it?

The TKC's are popular with some of the big Adv bikes because that's the most knobby tire that fits, but on a KLX, you have everything from full on road to full on dirt tires and plenty in between. I'm not sure weight wise, but I would almost guess those would be a pretty "heavy" tire for such a light bike too.

For bikes like the KLX250. If you want full on knobby, I would look at the MT21 or D606. Actually a popular combination is the D606 rear with the MT21 front. I have a set of MT21's on my WR250R and they are nice on that bike.

For something less aggressive but with decent road manners and decent in the dirt is something like the Shinko 244. You can get a set under $100 and they do pretty well in everything but the deepest mud.

I'm currently running a set of the Shinko 700's on my DR650. They are just a little bit less aggressive than the 244's but have much better road manners and that's where they really shine. But if you need to go offroad, they still work fairly well.

There's plenty more tires out there I haven't even touched on.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
lonepilgrim OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Just curious why you are looking at the TKC80's on a bike like the KLX250 that literally has hundred of tire choices available for it?

The TKC's are popular with some of the big Adv bikes because that's the most knobby tire that fits, but on a KLX, you have everything from full on road to full on dirt tires and plenty in between. I'm not sure weight wise, but I would almost guess those would be a pretty "heavy" tire for such a light bike too.

For bikes like the KLX250. If you want full on knobby, I would look at the MT21 or D606. Actually a popular combination is the D606 rear with the MT21 front. I have a set of MT21's on my WR250R and they are nice on that bike.

For something less aggressive but with decent road manners and decent in the dirt is something like the Shinko 244. You can get a set under $100 and they do pretty well in everything but the deepest mud.

I'm currently running a set of the Shinko 700's on my DR650. They are just a little bit less aggressive than the 244's but have much better road manners and that's where they really shine. But if you need to go offroad, they still work fairly well.

There's plenty more tires out there I haven't even touched on.
Struggle to get Shinko's in the UK and I am not looking for full on knobblies like the D606
lonepilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote