Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #16
hellfire76
haphazard adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Did the bike run when you left the dealership with it?
Old 01-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #17
lambotte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Is it common to pull the battery before shipping a bike? For most bikes this is not an easy task. Check the vin and make sure this is the same bike you negotiated for.
lambotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #18
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Will it start if you roll it down a hill? Can it swim?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
spike747 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Found it!!!

Simple, ground wasn't connected. KTMs must have two wires connected to the ground of the battery. I only had one. The regulator was grounded and I figured one of the other wires was grounded to the frame. But it wasn't. The three yellow wires are the full wave rectified signal from the stator and the white and red ones were the 12 volt output. Then there was 2 green ground wires to the battery. But the ground wires never went anywhere else.

Last night I tried to measure continuity with the frame and battery ground, but it wasn't there. I wasn't too alarmed since I wasn't sure if the frame was supposed to be grounded. I guess I've never seen a bike that didn't have a grounded frame, but hey, this is a European bike. Maybe they do things different over there.

I recieved the bike without a battery in it. In the deal with the dealership I asked for a new battery to be installed, but at the last minute I asked for a refund on the battery since I wanted to put a Shorai in instead. They must have thought I didn't want a battery at all cause the bike didn't come with a battery installed. But there must be a wire I'm missing. I can fab up my own, but I don't see any nice threaded frame spot to ground it nicely. I'm busy googling for pics of super motos with their seats off. Geez, nobody take pics of their bikes without seats.

The part that sucks is I tore most of the bike apart trying to get at the ECU. So now I need to put it all back together before I can start it up. I can't wait to hear the thump of that V-twin.

Lesson learned. Its always the simple stuff. Who would have thought this bike would need 2 ground wires.
spike747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #20
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike747 View Post
... Geez, nobody take pics of their bikes without seats. ...

I did

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153375
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #21
spike747 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
O geez, I completely forgot about that thread. I read it all the time. I'm upto page 35. Only a million more to go.

So there is a second gnd wire and it goes under the right side of the tank. I'll look for a threaded spot tonight to put a ground strap. I've called the dealership about it. Managers going to go talk to the guy who pulled the battery to find out what the heck happened. I'm glad it was a simple fix.

I wish mine was that nice and shiny. A bit of sun fade on my plastic. I'll do some research on how to brighten that up, but I suspect chemicals will only shiny it up temporarily.

I would like to replace the speedo lens. It badly scratched and faded. I can see the display OK, but it looks crappy. Is that available as a separate part? It looks like KTM fiche shows the unit as one piece but I'm hoping someone out there sells the plastic lens as a separate part.
spike747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #22
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellim_63 View Post
I actually spent an hour on the side of the road because of this. I was looking for a tipover switch, that wasnt the problem.
A few weeks ago my wife and I were on a trip down to Cabo through Baja on the GS when we saw a couple from BC on the side of the road with their Goldwing. He gave me the thumbs down so I stopped.
The guy was freaking out because his Wing wouldnt start, the transmission is ruined etc. He was on his phone arranging for a truck and ten guys to lift it to take the bike back to the border and he was getting estimates etc etc.
I was looking at it - nearly brand new Goldwing..... how could this thing just not start? Their reliability is dammed near legend.
So I asked the guy what the bike was doing, why did he think it wouldn't start blah blah and told him to take me through his startup procedure.... im not a mechanic in my experience these things are usually simple.

In a very frustrated manor, he turned the key and looked at the ignition and then started cursing - he had left it in reverse..... apparently they wont start in reverse

good news though - with bruised pride he started the Wing and finished his Baja trip.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #23
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike747 View Post
...I wish mine was that nice and shiny. ....

So do I . That picture was taken the day I brought it home. 37,000 miles later it's not as shiny. But still a kick-ass motorcycle.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote