Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #16
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,237
I bought the ICON Patrol jacket, size large for me at 6'2 and a lean 195lbs. I tried on a few other jackets, First Gear and the like and what I liked about the ICON was that it fit well and was very comfortable. The elbow pads stayed at my elbows, the shoulder pads didn't roll back or forward. It fit well with or without a sweater too.

I bought this jacket in Calgary, $364 tax included, for a mid April ride across Canada. Temps ranged from -4 to +9C so about 20 to 50F. I rode through high winds, snow, rain and freezing rain and a few days of sun as well.

Performance wise the jacket was warm. The removable inner liner stays in place and with a light long sleeve shirt and light sweater I far from being cold (no heated gear). In the warmer temp dressed the same I was fine. Anything above 8C/45F and I could have easily taken off the sweater and been comfortable. I think in the warmer weather removing the liner and opening some vents would make it comfortable for 20-25C/70-80F. Hard to say after that but you'd want to be moving air over you.

As advertised the jacket is waterproof*. The shell does absorb a little water and you have to ensure the vents on the arm and chest are well and truly closed. On one soaking I hung it over a heater for the night and it was dry in the morning so saturation of the shell was in my mind moderate.

*Yesterday in heavy rain some water did come through the chest vent and made the front of my shoulder wet. The zipper has the rubber seals but there is no car port for the zipper tab to tuck into so the very end of the closed zip is exposed and under the right conditions it seems water could and does come through. I pulled it tighter to ensure it was closed and will see in the next rain storm how it performs.

Overall I'm pleased with the jacket and think with the addition of zipper ports it would be pretty much perfect for the price.

Comfort wise it was very comfortable from the get go, feeling substantial enough to protect in a crash but pliable such that no movement is restricted. The collar is soft and comfortable as are the wrist cuffs, so no chafing there.

On a side note I tried the pants today, size large was huge on me. I'm a 34 in the waist and about the same in the inseam. As an over pant they'd still be big.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:45 AM   #17
jazzdrum69
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
canadianx, what color did you get?

The past week or three has started to warm up considerably. I haven't yet been caught in the rain with the jacket, but based on your post, I will be sure to pull the zips closed tight.

I can say that opening the vent zips when the heat rises has a very nice cooling effect. I left home for groceries today around 10 and by the time I left the grocery store it was about 11:30...the sun was really heating up the parking lot, plus my battey was a bit flat so I had to bump start the bike, which had me working up a sweat.

Anyways, when I got back on and started riding, it was nice to open up all the vents and feel the wind come pouring through the pits, chest shoulder, etc...I think this jacket will work well in the summer and I might try out the wet t-shirt trick on the hottest days.

I took the liner out immediatly as I use a heated vest.

Love the jacket, but my naked bike gives me no protection. I need to clean off about 100 bugs from the upper chest / shoulder area.

Worth the money.
jazzdrum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #18
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzdrum69 View Post
canadianx, what color did you get?

The past week or three has started to warm up considerably. I haven't yet been caught in the rain with the jacket, but based on your post, I will be sure to pull the zips closed tight.

I can say that opening the vent zips when the heat rises has a very nice cooling effect. I left home for groceries today around 10 and by the time I left the grocery store it was about 11:30...the sun was really heating up the parking lot, plus my battey was a bit flat so I had to bump start the bike, which had me working up a sweat.

Anyways, when I got back on and started riding, it was nice to open up all the vents and feel the wind come pouring through the pits, chest shoulder, etc...I think this jacket will work well in the summer and I might try out the wet t-shirt trick on the hottest days.

I took the liner out immediatly as I use a heated vest.

Love the jacket, but my naked bike gives me no protection. I need to clean off about 100 bugs from the upper chest / shoulder area.

Worth the money.
Went with the high vis black. Hasn't been until recently that I've thought about high vis riding gear, but given how bright the yellow is it might be to much for my first bound into wear hi vis gear.

I was thinking if the chest zip is the weak point that allows some water in under heavy rain conditions then maybe a little dab of the wife's lip balm on the closed end would cover the tiny gap that is letting driven water in. ?? Just an idea at this stage.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #19
motogluten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I just used some of my connections and got me the entire Patrol line. Jacket, pants, glove, and boots. Looks like rain this weekend, so I'll be giving them a good test ride! I'll be sure to report back with my findings.

The stuff fits great, I'm looking forward to putting it to the test.
motogluten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:48 AM   #20
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I got the Olympia AST for basically the same price as the Icon. I like the styling of the Icon jacket better but the Olympia seems to use better materials like 2000D&500D Cordura compared to say the basic nylon the Icon and FirstGear jackets use. 1000D Cordua is supposed to be similar to 1.3mm leather according to this comparison of materials.

The medium Olympia fits me perfectly at 6ft and 180lbs. No issues with the armor pinching as mentioned earlier by another poster - think this must be unique to the fit/sizing he tried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmU0aJaAgvA

outsidein screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 04:59 AM
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #21
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I like mine I ride year round here in Victoria BC and that means rain in the fall winter spring. its a lot more waterproof then other jackets warm and with the internal belt the wind does not come up in the back Mine is a Hi Viz Yellow. My only comment thats a negative about it is it should have an insulated flap inside where the zipper is .

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote