Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 AM   #511
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Rob View Post
I've just checked-out Cath's bike (the stalling Terra 650) which was the first one delivered in Australia (at least she got some pictures taken and a new polo shirt!)

After hearing the talk i knew something wasn't right, but when the bike was started for the guys to return home......
  • Started and ran fine when it was "cold" and the "choke" was on i.e. running rich
  • Once the engine warmed it started running rougher and if you tried to gently roll the throttle it was ABSOLUTE crap, farting, missing and almost stalling until the throttle was let off.
  • By cracking the throttle open a little quicker you can get some revs up but definately cannot roll it on without stalling.
  • The bike is basically unridable as it stalls when you go to take off from anywhere, be it traffic lights, stop signs etc. so she will get a car running up her ass if she's unlucky
The bike will go back to Husqvarna ASAP.

It astounds me that a dealership could let the bike go out the door like this
What about a little bit of checking after all of the same reported problems from overseas?

When the bike was handed over there was a quick, "fleeting" mention of some mapping that might have to be done at the first service" but they weren't sure if they did, or did not actually have the programme and mapping yet

I am sure this will be a great bike but man.... these things should NEVER have been released like this.

What do you reckon??
All sounds typically BMW to me, they just don't give a shit.....as long as they get your money, then they take their time doing anything about fixing your bike, and even charging you for it if they can.

Or maybe I just dealt with the wrong BMW places

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #512
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,470
Thumb

Happy fella here - got the first thou and a bit up on it.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #513
Chuffa
TR650 Terra

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Just discovered that the top off a bottle of Castrol R30 plugs the steering head hole.
Good work ! Nice tip DRF. Cheers

Mine was stalling at idle. Most of the time just after blipping the throttle just a tad.
It was a bit jerky after downshifting into 1st and putting around a carpark with no throttle.
I haven't had a stall when downshifting to a stop.

To me it sounds the same as the symptoms shown in the northern hemisphere & will be quickly sorted out with a re-map. This might take a little longer to get done in the West but I can always get a BoosterPlug.

500km on it to date... still lovin it.
Chuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #514
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by ockrocket View Post
all sounds typically bmw to me
+1

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #515
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
All sounds typically BMW to me, they just don't give a shit.....as long as they get your money, then they take their time doing anything about fixing your bike, and even charging you for it if they can.

Is that from experience or from someone else?

I have had and still own several BMWs and their service has always been first class. Nothing to bitch about on that front.

The biggest problem we have in this country is the low-grade rubbish they pass off as Premium unleaded!

Its so poor no two batchs are the same and causes more problems than anything else.

TheTterra will probably need a re-flash as it will have been setup for quality fuel, not the stinking shit we have to use!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #516
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem View Post

I have had and still own several BMWs and their service has always been first class. Nothing to bitch about on that front.

The biggest problem we have in this country is the low-grade rubbish they pass off as Premium unleaded!

Its so poor no two batchs are the same and causes more problems than anything else.

TheTterra will probably need a re-flash as it will have been setup for quality fuel, not the stinking shit we have to use!!
Three Beemers, two mid 80's models with no big dramas, R65LS I bought six years ago when getting back in to riding followed by a K100RT.
Then came a 2000 model R1150GS that emptied the bank account to the tune of about $6,000 in twelve months, the old Beemers are good, the newer ones are not.

As for the Beemer shops, they all charge 40% more than the average workshop [and some I've dealt with don't even know what they are looking at, one didn't even realise the bike had a Power Commander on it that was causing a problem- subsequently I limped all the way back from Melbourne to Sydney on a bike that would not perform and was drinking fuel at the same rate as a Mack truck], plus parts are a premium, the bikes don't deserve a premium price these days, they just don't stack up.

So no, I'm not quoting from someone else's experience, it is my personal experience and wallet.

Now about your claim regarding our shit fuel in Australia, do you buy from a brand name? [Shell/Caltex/BP/Mobil- though Mobil are selling off all their sites].

You obviously missed a report late last year on A Current Affair where they tested and found in most cases all the grades of fuel sold in Australian servos were actually ABOVE the octane rating for that particular grade, none were below the required rating for each grade tested.

I spent nine years doing runs that took me in to ten or twelve servos a day, with over 300 sites on my list.
Now my job didn't involve anything to do with fuel on the sites, but I was privy to many of the issues on the sites, the culprits that were caught doctoring fuel were not part of the big brand chains and the fuel was doctored after it left the refinery [actually other products were dumped in the underground tanks to dilute the fuel by mixing in with a part load of genuine grade fuel that was dropped in first].

There is basically nothing wrong with our fuel in Australia currently.

I have proved over many years that running Premium fuel in vehicles actually works out cheaper in dollar terms than running the standard unleaded octane fuels...don't start me on E10.

I'm not interested in starting a pissing match about fuels or BMW's, I've simply quoted from my own experience.

I love the old Beemers and will hopefully buy another one eventually, but it will be of 70's- 80's vintage and will not be my daily ride [I will keep the Japanese bikes for that task].

If you have found a good BMW dealer/workshop let us all know where they are

As for the Husky- or any other bike consigned for sale in this country, they should not be having the problems they are at present.

I'm glad you have managed to get hold of some good Beemers Bigem

Cheers,
Ock.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 AM   #517
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem View Post

You have been to different dealers to me then! I took my R65 to a Melbourne dealer to get a service & tune up done as I was having some idling issues, whist it was there they found a stripped diff drain plug. they called me and gave me a quote to strip the diff and helicoil the hole which I approved. After I got the bike home on closer inspection it was fairly obvious that the diff had not been touched and the helicoil had been done in situ.
They didn't manage to fix the idle issue either, when I mentioned that on picking up the bike their response was something along the lines of "we don't like working on these older bikes anyway"
At the time I had my heart set on buying an F650 gs Dakar, but the whole issue was enough to make me buy a KTM which I have had ever since
Old 01-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #518
davorallyfan
Commonist

Took mine in for its first service and new mapping. The download of the maps are taking longer than expected. Will pick it up tomorrow.

Still no sign of the bash plate or screen or proper throttle bit.

Not sure about the service from PFG... Anyone with more experience dealing with them than me?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:23 AM   #519
Chuffa
TR650 Terra

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Took mine in for its first service and new mapping.
I will be interested to hear what you think of the new map.
It might be a little while before I can get it done here.

Surely you're not going with the Husky skid plate? Say it aint so...
Chuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #520
davorallyfan
Commonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuffa View Post
I will be interested to hear what you think of the new map.
It might be a little while before I can get it done here.

Surely you're not going with the Husky skid plate? Say it aint so...
I Know, I Know
I am desperate to do some fire trails...
Perhaps I can improve on it...
Old 01-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #521
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,723
Davo, you could have had one of Stephan's plates from Germany here by now and never worried about it again.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #522
Tagati
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 2,558
I have dealt with PFG. they were OK. I am on my 2nd rebuild on the 630 all parts were paid for by PFG. Apparently its fixed again but I have lost interest in bikes so I have left it with the dealer. I wouldn't expect BMW to want to have anything to do with the new Huskies different importer and all.

Note to self. When fueling up at Windorah do NOT say "I'll see you later", "I had better get a hop along" or "See you around". You will just look like a prick in front of the locals and feel like a dick.
Tagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #523
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
+1
+2 which is why I would not buy another BMW. BUT, after a few years and depending on how well all the new owners/testers have completed the beta testing/fixing of the Terra for BMW, I might have to go take a test ride. I must be drunk!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #524
davorallyfan
Commonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Davo, you could have had one of Stephan's plates from Germany here by now and never worried about it again.
Stephan?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #525
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,723
Quote:
Stephan?
A post I put up on Cafe Husky.

I received an e mail back from Stephan of Scheffelmeier Metall today and he said that all he needs to do is make an adapter for the front frame mount and Terra owners will be able to use his range of XChallenge bash plates.

Also said, " I will offer all parts I make for the G650X for the new Husqvarna 650 models too soon!"

http://www.bashplates.de/BMW-G-650-X...untry:::1.html

He also has started making an oil cooler for the BMW / Husky 650.

I used a lot of his parts on my XCH and can recommend them over Touratech etc confidently.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote