Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #6931
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Two of the r2r folks died?

Confirmation?
SEnt lyndon a text. I believe it's bivouac misinformation. R2R crew injured but stable. Multiple civilian fatalities and injuries are the latest confirmed that I've seen.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #6932
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
SEnt lyndon a text. I believe it's bivouac misinformation. R2R crew injured but stable. Multiple civilian fatalities and injuries are the latest confirmed that I've seen.
Same here from a google, but I don't search in the local language, I don't speak it.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #6933
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post

No Watt's in 33rd...

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #6934
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Just in from the Freedom Rally (RMS) truck:

In Calama tonight prepping the bikes for the marathon stage. Marco and Mateos bikes are in good shape. Luis is still out on the course. We will next see the bikes on the rest day in Tucuman.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #6935
ararat
Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Not according to what Lyndon was just told in the biv. That's why I asked.
Oh no.... say it ain't true!!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #6936
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Uno de los fallecidos en accidente del Dakar es chileno

(...)

While the English Justin Bischall, John Winskill and Lee Townend, Support Team Land Rover Dakar, were injured.
Immediately after the collision, two cars collided stricken units. Vehicle is Argentina KPY-043 board that also provided mechanical assistance to Dakar and a second plate Z1J collective-620 driven by Mamani Huallpa Lizandro to avoid colliding violently who made ​​a reckless maneuver despistándose and giving over several times.
Seven people were injured being treated at the hospital Hipólito Unanue. These are tacneños Mamani Monica Celaya (26), Begonia Tintalla Arocutita (26) and Olga Ruiz Paredes, the Arequipa Alex Vasquez Vasquez (23), Germán Consa Mamani (22) and Luis Ccama Vilca (53), in addition to the citizen Cochón Maribel Escobar (39) Natural Ilo who suffered a cut near his left eye and mild TBI.
deaths
Accident victims were identified as Arturo Lopez Maquera (40) bus driver and Chilean citizen Jose Humberto Gomez Vera.
Transfer to Lima
Just after 3:00 am the English John Winskill (conductor), Justin Lee Townend Bischall and left the hospital emergency service to be conducted Unanue International Airport Coronel FAP Carlos Ciriani Santa Rosa from where they were transferred to the city of Lima . Each of the wounded was accompanied by a medical organization.
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #6937
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
From Dave (RMS)

This morning I was lucky enough to be the deliver messenger for the ADV rider contributions to Manuel Luchese. Thats a lot of clams!
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #6938
PackMule
love what you do

BTW, that was a first for me, I think -- listened to Lyndon's call from the RallyRAIDio.net website (on my phone) while I was outside with the kids.

Was that an awesome call, or what?

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #6939
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
BTW, that was a first for me, I think -- listened to Lyndon's call from the RallyRAIDio.net website (on my phone) while I was outside with the kids.

Was that an awesome call, or what?
The fact that Lyndon makes time to call in EVERY day speaks volumes about the man, there must be a thousand other things he'd rather (or ought to) be doing yet he still makes time to keep us in the loop. Awesome as you say.
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #6940
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSpearsX View Post
From Dave (RMS)

This morning I was lucky enough to be the deliver messenger for the ADV rider contributions to Manuel Luchese. Thats a lot of clams!
That's the coolest thing.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #6941
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

2013 Dakar - Stage 6
by Cyril Despres on Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 1:45pm ·

Cyril Despres

“Yesterday I said my plan for today was to push right from the start and that is exactly what I did until km 24 when I went into the wrong valley. I only lost about 2 minutes but it took about 3 boxes on the road book to make sure I was back on track and it all interrupted my flow a little. I went well over the rest of the first special and really enjoyed the second special after the neutralisation. For the first time on this Dakar we were on hard-packed pistes and it made a nice change from all the sand and off-piste we’ve had until now. There must have been between 150 to 200 bends over that section and it was great fun drifting through them. Quite quickly though I got caught in Bottuiri’s dust and then he got caught in Casteu’s who eventually got stuck behind Pain. I never overtake in the dust, as it is just too dangerous, and that meant that I didn’t make up as much time over the stage as I had hoped.

Tomorrow is the start of the marathon stage that will eventually take us to Tucuman. With no mechanical assistance tomorrow night we will have to take care of our engines and also make sure we get enough sleep. Fortunately Ruben had another great day today and so we will be able to ride tactically tomorrow which should allow me to catch up to Lopez and pull back 4 minutes.”
Old 01-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #6942
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
From Dave (RMS)

Mousses For Manny!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #6943
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,829
Ufff - Finally catched up again. Great posts last night! Thanks for telling your stories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
So, the advantage of the GPS odo is that it automatically corrects itself. I found myself using it more and more heavily as the rally progressed.

The drawback is that you can't increment or decrement it if you get lost...
Thanks for your reply, Ned. So the GPS Odo is always visible on the Unik screen? Do you have to fumble pressing keys to make it visible? In aany case that's great, even if you can't increment/decrement. Having a cue to calibrate your roadbook mileage directly in kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
dakar com

Faria: from a racing point of view it's better, because I will have less time to wait for Cyril, who must have finished in third place.
Confusing. Today seemed to confirm my theory that Faria has been released of watercarrier duty. But at the finish line today he says we'll have to wait for CD tomorrow??? If we wasn't released why did they let him ride loose two stages?? Weird.

On the alleged Marathon - pit stops at the refuelling points??? WTF?? El Dakaro is OK, the race is on, 450's are great, blah blah blah. But this is not right. It's plain stupid.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #6944
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Jordi Viladoms has experienced its worst day since starting the Dakar 2013. What at first was assumed as a great day, ended up becoming a nightmare for the pilot of Igualada. After completing the first part of the race in fourth place, finished 38th due to a fault in his Husqvarna TE 449 RR in the final stretch.

After five stages following a conservative approach, Viladoms has decided to move to the attack on the sixth lap, held today between Arica and Calama, with 438 km of special divided into two sectors. In the first, the Spaniard has made a strong showing, coming to shoot third ahead of Chilean Francisco Lopez. At intermediate career has been in fourth, 2'37 "of then interim leader, Portuguese Paulo Goncalves.

The impasse created by the link between one sector and another does not sit well with Jordi or, rather, his Husqvarna TE 449 RR. Upon resumption of the special stage, the bike has begun to fail right from the first few miles, forcing Viladoms to slow your pace to get to the goal.

"Today I felt it was the day of attack and all was well until the stretch neutralized. From there, has begun to fail the motorcycle and stopped pulling. I have decided to stand up to change the injector, but still did not exceed 70 km / h. edge. As barely know the mechanics of the Husqvarna I preferred not to touch anything else and focus all my efforts to reach the goal as quickly as possible, "he explained.

The pilot said from Chile that "we were doing a good race and the strategy was correct but some things, such as mechanics, you can not control." Meanwhile, David Clap your mechanic had set to work to find the cause of the fault and fix it tomorrow.

Anyway, Jordi Viladoms not throw in the towel and maintains its firm intention to do battle with the top finishers in how much is left of Dakar: "It is clear that the objectives have changed, but will continue to compete every day to recover all the ground as possible and move up. "
Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #6945
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,453
Quote:
From Dave (RMS)

GO!!! Manuel GO!!!

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote