Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #1291
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
I know the old F650GS had water pump issues, was recommended to keep a spare handle when doing a long trip.

Does anyone know if this is a similar issue with the new G650GS, I would assume so since they are essentially the same engine, but I would also expect BMW to have addressed this known issue prior to the G650 being released.

Also, I have not heard of any G650GS having the water pump expire - does anyone know?

On an unrelated note, went down the the bike show and they had the Husky 650 beside the Sertao, nice bike, same engine, and would be a good alternative to the Sertao for those looking to do more intense off-roading.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #1292
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
The Husky is a nice bike... same engine except it is re-tuned and delivers about 58 hp... so more than the G650GS/Sertao
I have a hunch BMW will be pushing the Husqvarna and eventually leave the less "off road" more technology bikes to the BMW badge. ... but that's just a hunch... ??

Can't see them selling both side by side with the same offerings for many more years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
I know the old F650GS had water pump issues, was recommended to keep a spare handle when doing a long trip.

Does anyone know if this is a similar issue with the new G650GS, I would assume so since they are essentially the same engine, but I would also expect BMW to have addressed this known issue prior to the G650 being released.

Also, I have not heard of any G650GS having the water pump expire - does anyone know?

On an unrelated note, went down the the bike show and they had the Husky 650 beside the Sertao, nice bike, same engine, and would be a good alternative to the Sertao for those looking to do more intense off-roading.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #1293
migo33
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Fan's wrong position?

Hi Fellow Sertao's...

I can't get used to the heat coming from the fan to my right thigh especially on hot days. It's really a bad position for a fan. Does anyone have a solution to divert this heat stream?

Cheers
Micha
migo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #1294
SwollenCranium
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by migo33 View Post
Hi Fellow Sertao's...

I can't get used to the heat coming from the fan to my right thigh especially on hot days. It's really a bad position for a fan. Does anyone have a solution to divert this heat stream?

Cheers
Micha

Weren't you enjoying that 112 degrees F today?
SwollenCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #1295
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Hi Fellow Sertao's...

Cheers
Micha
ride faster
katoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #1296
scottomcgotto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
There have been times when I've been hanging for the fan to kick in and send some warming goodness my way but it only ever happens when it's stupidly hot. Definiely not designed with Australian summers in mind. I'll be interested in seeing people's solution to this.
scottomcgotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #1297
Ozi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Best solution to heat from the fan is to learn and practice riding in the standing-up position of Adventure riding. Its 100% legal to stand and ride a bike in AU - I have done it infront of a NSW patrol car. The immediate effect is you get cool even in the hottest conditions - learn to transfer your weight to the pegs and keep your body back during descents/braking or forward during climb/acceleration.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #1298
migo33
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomcgotto View Post
There have been times when I've been hanging for the fan to kick in and send some warming goodness my way but it only ever happens when it's stupidly hot. Definiely not designed with Australian summers in mind. I'll be interested in seeing people's solution to this.
Even in cold weather it's a pain to ride in the city or suburbs. Weird design.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #1299
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Hi Fellow Sertao's...

Cheers
Micha
I tried putting some sticky back heat shield under the fake gas tank and to the front of the seat. It was difficult to apply to the seat because of the grooves, but I put it where I could.

http://tinyurl.com/b24fsj4

I think it helped. But was still very warm during our hot summer up here. I might have tried putting a second layer before next summer if I still had the bike.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #1300
Northern Hooligan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Rode one a few weeks ago for the weekend. I liked it except for:
3. Hard to find neutral or shift with big Sidi boots.
4. At 5'11 I felt cramped when sitting.
Other than that, fun to ride! Easy to turn off ABS too.
New to the forum but have been lurking for a while. I am looking at the Sertao for myself as a second bike with my VFR as the long distance tour/street bike. My wife surprised me in saying she wanted to get her MC lic in late Oct of 2012, she passed and we lucked out and found her a 2004 F650GS which I rode for about a week to and from work.
I was suprised with the power it had and it was a blast to drive. I found the shifting easy but as quoted nuetral was a bit of find and seating seemed to be ok for short distance, long distance not tested yet. I cant wait for the snow to go, hopefully before May so I can then take the bike ( loaded with gear/tent ) for a trip into British Columbia / Vancouver Island and see how it performes and then go from there.
Northern Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #1301
migo33
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
I tried putting some sticky back heat shield under the fake gas tank and to the front of the seat. It was difficult to apply to the seat because of the grooves, but I put it where I could.

http://tinyurl.com/b24fsj4

I think it helped. But was still very warm during our hot summer up here. I might have tried putting a second layer before next summer if I still had the bike.
Thanks mate,
I am not going to stick anything on a $12K bike. I think it's bad design and BMW needs to start testing bike outside of Munich...
Cheers
Mica
Old 01-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #1302
Durden
Freak!

^^^ I'm struggling to figure out what the issue is, it sounds like you dont like the warm air blowing over your leg when the fan comes on? Are you sitting around on it while it idles? I've never found this to be an issue, although I wear pants when I ride, not sure what the Aus riding protocol is

There are worse forms of transportation:

Old 01-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #1303
migo33
n00b

Quote:
^^^ I'm struggling to figure out what the issue is, it sounds like you dont like the warm air blowing over your leg when the fan comes on? Are you sitting around on it while it idles? I've never found this to be an issue, although I wear pants when I ride, not sure what the Aus riding protocol is
We Aussies ride with flip-flops, rugby shorts and VB in our hydro-pack...-)

Yes, I do hug the tank and wear long pants with riding boots, even on the way to clients in the city. warm or cold weather, the heat from that fan is unbearable and should be diverted inwards and down no up and outside.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #1304
Durden
Freak!

Quote:
We Aussies ride with flip-flops, rugby shorts and VB in our hydro-pack...-)

Yes, I do hug the tank and wear long pants with riding boots, even on the way to clients in the city. warm or cold weather, the heat from that fan is unbearable and should be diverted inwards and down no up and outside.
Haha. I'm guessing you are riding in some seriously hot temp 35c+, I've have been ridding in full touring gear sweating my ass off in 30c, and not found it an issue, although, its not usually in stop and go traffic. I must confess most of my riding is in cool alpine air and the fan is a much appreciated 'feature'.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #1305
migo33
n00b

Quote:
Haha. I'm guessing you are riding in some seriously hot temp 35c+, I've have been ridding in full touring gear sweating my ass off in 30c, and not found it an issue, although, its not usually in stop and go traffic. I must confess most of my riding is in cool alpine air and the fan is a much appreciated 'feature'.
No Alpine air in Australia and many other parts of the world where this bike is designed to be in use. BMW shouldn't have called it Sertao then, maybe "Alpine" or "Arctic".... -)