Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #16
MoseFitch
Chicken Rancher

Oddometer: 12
I don't think the issue with being close together has to do with the GPS affecting xm reception. If your using the magnetic base with the antenna the magnets affect the GPS compass
MoseFitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
I'm not using the magnetic base, the interference from the GPS is minor, but its there. It even says it'll affect it in the manual. Maybe its in my head, but since moving my antenna near the unit, my XM is always short a bar.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
speck
It's all about endorphins

Oddometer: 30
Bluetooth steps on XM radio reception.

I have a Zumo 665 with the GXM XM antenna mounted above it on the clutch side of the handlebar of my F800GS. When using plug in head phones I've enjoyed 3 solid bars almost all the time.... This christmas I "up-graded" to a Scala Cardo Rider Q2 Pro bluetooth headset. It sync'ed up with the Zumo fine enough but now XM radio is 1 bar at best and drops out frequently....

Anyone else with similar experience? I've searched the web and haven't found any real solutions. I have moved the puck antenna to the other side of the handlebar without much effect.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #19
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Yep.

When I had my antenna mounted fairly close to the gps unit I had blue tooth issues (Shuberth) and ended up mounting the antenna on my top case at the rear of the bike and that improved things.
WindSailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #20
Cap'n Ron
The Devil's Advocate

Oddometer: 526
I'm running a GXM 30 with the Zumo 550, so things could be different with this unit than the GXM 40. When I was running my XM antenna on the small shelf above the instrument cluster I started getting an ABS fault light. Not sure what was causing it, but once I moved the XM antenna the fault disappeared and all was good. Just wanted to mention so it could be kept in mind if anyone receives an ABS fault.

Cheers,

Ron

Exploration is the key to a youthful outlook!
"It hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse." -Ann Trason on running marathons.
Cap'n Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #21
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
This is true, I've tested it and it does seem to affect the signal a bit. But it's not that bad, it drops the XM signal by about a bar.

When I had my Versys I mounted the GXM 40 on the the passenger grab handle on a techmount on my alu-rack and ran the USB cable to the rear.

On my GS and threw caution to the wind and mounted the antenna to the GPS mount using a bracket.

I'm still fine tuning the adjustment of both the bracket and the mount, but I would like to think that the steel bracket the GXM40 is screwed into, helps shield the XM signal from interference from the Zumo 665 itself. It blocks the bottom of the entire antenna with a steel plate directly between it and the Garmin.
Your Zumo battery is low...better charge it soon.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #22
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
I have a Zumo 550, my XM puck is attached to the top of the brake fluid reservoir with heavy duty velcro. No reception issues.

I have seen the puck mounted on top of the beak, I didn't care for the look.
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #23
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 514

I mounted this GXM 30 antenna on a piece of 1/4" aluminum. I countersunk a hole for a (6mm i believe) bolt that fits where the luggage rack mounted. Nice and tidy with hardly any wires showing... You'll probably need an extension cable since to route the wires this far! Fits nicely right behind my Givi 46L trunk mounted on a GSessories plate in place of the rear seat.
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote