ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #6541
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
The owners manual and a quick reference guide should be loaded on the gps.

Connect the unit to a computer via a usb cable. The manuals should be located at "?:/Documents/files/pdf" on the unit. They are named OM_EN.pdf and QSM_EN.pdf.

daryl
I forgot about that :)

But the Montana Wiki already had that information to remind me :)

Thank you for the reminder!
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #6542
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,027
Used my wife's nuvi 2555 on a recent trip to Tennessee, and it had a neat feature that I'm hoping can be had on the Montana: Themes.

You could select between 'country' color schemes for the mapping. The Italia one was very handy, in daytime colors it was a cream background with black lines for the small roads. The Suomi one was good too, it showed the wooded areas in cnnt.

Any chance this is available?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #6543
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Used my wife's nuvi 2555 on a recent trip to Tennessee, and it had a neat feature that I'm hoping can be had on the Montana: Themes.

You could select between 'country' color schemes for the mapping. The Italia one was very handy, in daytime colors it was a cream background with black lines for the small roads. The Suomi one was good too, it showed the wooded areas in cnnt.

Nope, not available for the Montana.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #6544
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post

No themes for the Montana, but you can have an effect on how the display looks by making your own wallpapers and choosing between day or nighttime UI.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #6545
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Garmin is sending me a new Tempe to replace my flawed one which doesn't update the 24 Hour Maximum and Minimum values without requiring battery removal. They don't want the flawed one back.

Thanks Montana Beta! I know you'll see this.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #6546
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Garmin is sending me a new Tempe to replace my flawed one which doesn't update the 24 Hour Maximum and Minimum values without requiring battery removal. They don't want the flawed one back.

I wish I could get through to the Zumo 350LM development people! They need to let 350 owners turn off the dashboard.

Sorry to be OT...
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #6547
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

Lucky you. I finally got someone at Garmin say that it was an issue, BUT as I'm in Canada I had to send mine to Raytech in Laval QC at my cost......I even had trouble with there return form as the Tempe was covered.
Awaiting a response from them maybe next week.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #6548
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
Lucky you. I finally got someone at Garmin say that it was an issue, BUT as I'm in Canada I had to send mine to Raytech in Laval QC at my cost......I even had trouble with there return form as the Tempe was covered.
Awaiting a response from them maybe next week.
Just got a Canada Post Shipping Notice that a parcel has been sent to me from Raytech - maybe that'll get one moving for you too?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #6549
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
In spite of all of the good suggestions, I kept looking, hoping to find that elusive nice protective case for not a lot of money.

I think we have a winner. I bought "The Classic Case - Camera / Hard Drive / GPS Case" by HandStands on Amazon. They did not claim it fit the Montana or any other specific GPS from what I could see, but did list the dimensions, which looked fairly close, so I took a chance. It was only $6.99 and eligible for the regular free shipping deal. Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s01_i02

It arrived today, so I wasted no time in seeing how it fit. It fits really well. There is a small amount of space around it, which seems fine, and elastic straps to hold the unit in when you open it, and mesh pockets on the facing side for random crap. The shell material is firm with a little flex to it, but seems sturdy. I am very happy with this.
Thanks for this info. Got mine today and it fits great:

Paved Roads are just another example of wasted Taxpayer Dollars
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #6550
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
In spite of all of the good suggestions, I kept looking, hoping to find that elusive nice protective case for not a lot of money.

I think we have a winner. I bought "The Classic Case - Camera / Hard Drive / GPS Case" by HandStands on Amazon. They did not claim it fit the Montana or any other specific GPS from what I could see, but did list the dimensions, which looked fairly close, so I took a chance. It was only $6.99 and eligible for the regular free shipping deal. Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s01_i02

It arrived today, so I wasted no time in seeing how it fit. It fits really well. There is a small amount of space around it, which seems fine, and elastic straps to hold the unit in when you open it, and mesh pockets on the facing side for random crap. The shell material is firm with a little flex to it, but seems sturdy. I am very happy with this.

Pics:
Glad you are happy... but for me I went with the advice from DRTBYK and got the Nite Ize Backbone #20 case. Only $8 at Amazon and it has a hard backbone on one end, a belt swivel clip and fits very snug in the soft fuzzy lined interior. I can't imagine one being better so I'm just offering this one up again as an alternative....

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #6551
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,521
How do I:

The little icons for POI's like gas stations don't show up (using CNNANT) until you get to 300 ft when you zoom in. Is there any way to look around on a map (not a list of them in text) at a bigger zoom out, like a 5 mile radius?

Using "North Up" it shows the scale on the map, like 300 ft, 2 miles, etc. But the text is SO SMALL it is hard to see. I know you can make the font size bigger on some items but which one makes the little "scale" font any bigger??

|______|
2 mi

thanks,

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #6552
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
which one makes the little "scale" font any bigger??

|______|
2 mi
I don't think you can change that.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #6553
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
The little icons for POI's like gas stations don't show up (using CNNANT) until you get to 300 ft when you zoom in. Is there any way to look around on a map (not a list of them in text) at a bigger zoom out, like a 5 mile radius?

thanks,
Not on the Montana. Setup>Map>Advanced>Detail>Most only produces what you said. In BC, you can get them at 800 ft. with Detail Level> Highest. Every map product acts differently in this respect.

I don't think any of the text size items will change the scale font. Would be a good request....I agree with you, I can't see that at all on the bike, barely in the truck.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #6554
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Not on the Montana. Setup>Map>Advanced>Detail>Most only produces what you said. In BC, you can get them at 800 ft. with Detail Level> Highest. Every map product acts diferently in this respect.

I don't think any of the text size items will change the scale font. Would be a good request....I agree with you, I can't see that at all on the bike, barely in the truck.
It would be interesting if the Montana could display in a larger way the zoom scale you're changing to for a couple of seconds, when you zoom in or out.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #6555
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Glad you are happy... but for me I went with the advice from DRTBYK and got the Nite Ize Backbone #20 case.
I can't tell from the pictures, is the accessory pocket on the inside and is it big enough for the USB cable?
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote