Oddometer: 262
I appreciate an honest guy
Old 12-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #17
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Sorry kids but I personally think this means the bikes are fucked.
I talked with Roger for about an hour about safety issues after his Baja 500 collision with a bike. One of his comment was something along the lines of “it’s stupid to have bikes and cars on the same course at the same time”. He also said he wouldn’t race in Baja again if bikes and cars were combined. Of course this was immediately after his incident, so he was still pretty wound up about it.

I started work on a partial solution to the bike/car problem right after Roger’s incident. It’s basically a small electronic box that goes on each race vehicle (bikes and cars), with an attached super loud beeper. In addition to many common tracker type functions (think IRC, SPOT, GPS, etc.), it would also warn both bikes and cars when they were coming closer together. A slower bike or car would be warned that something was coming up from behind, and a faster bike or car would be warned that they were approaching another bike or car. The warning would give the slower vehicle plenty of time to get out of the way, and plenty of time for the faster vehicle to wake up and watch out for something that might be hidden in thick dust just ahead.

Though separating the bikes from the cars is obviously the safest approach, if that isn’t economically and logistically practical, a collision warning system might be one good alternative, along with some of the other ideas people have pitched. When the Roger/SCORE dust settles a bit, I’ll remind Roger of my warning system concept and see if he’s interested. When I first pitched the idea to SCORE two years ago, I got zero response.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #18
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tall Bastard View Post
I appreciate an honest guy
I'm always honest and perhaps my first reaction may be a bit harsh. It will be too easy to lose more than we could gain out of this. Let's just say that I'm more on the defensive side of this.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #19
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,946
World championship

Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
pedrodepacas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Brave New SCORE website is up.....

The new SCORE website was just launched and has only one photo of a motorcycle with over a dozen car/truck pics. The site is a work in progress they say. It seems as if they want to 'service' the moto customer.
pedrodepacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #21
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrodepacas View Post
The new SCORE website was just launched and has only one photo of a motorcycle with over a dozen car/truck pics. The site is a work in progress they say. It seems as if they want to 'service' the moto customer.
Maybe we'll get a reach around.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #22
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,946
On live now.. Q and A

http://www.ustream.tv/HDRA
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #23
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,452
Lots of new stuff, like cars qualifying. Quals will be held at the race directors property out by Pepsi Stand.

Additional possible stuff being discussed:

New routes for San Flippy including north of Hwy 3
4th Mexico race: Mexicalli to San Flippy lay over and then San Flippy to Ensenada
Another Baja 2000 for the 50th
Bikes on own day
Once a sportsman bike is passed by car, his race is over (I told you we could get FUCKED)
Start bikes 10 at a time
Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #24
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,727
Quote:
Lots of new stuff, like cars qualifying. Quals will be held at the race directors property out by Pepsi Stand.

New routes for San Flippy including north of Hwy 3
4th Mexico race: Mexicalli to San Flippy lay over and then San Flippy to Ensenada
Another Baja 2000 for the 50th
Bikes on own day
Once a sportsman bike is passed by car, his race is over (I told you we could get FUCKED)
Start bikes 10 at a time
What percentage of bikes stayed in front of the cars this year? Pretty much bye bye sportsman class and ironmaning it for anyone that's not a factory rider. Shitty
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #25
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Bikes on own day
Start bikes 10 at a time

Sounds like desert racing for bikes is over, no danger, no glory...nanny state.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #26
AngryShawn
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 393
good god, don't go getting your pants in a bunch, these were all just possibilities that were mentioned, nothing is set in stone yet...
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #27
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
[QUOTE=Strong Bad;20446413]
Lots of new stuff, like cars qualifying Wast of time and money!!. Quals will be held at the race directors property out by Pepsi Stand.

New routes for San Flippy including north of Hwy 3 ( Cool!!!!)

4th Mexico race: Mexicalli to San Flippy lay over and then San Flippy to Ensenada ( Sounds like fun !! !!)

Another Baja 2000 for the 50th ( Hell YA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Bikes on own day ( HELL NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )

Once a sportsman bike is passed by car, his race is over ( Make everybody ride PRO CLASS !!!!!!!!!!)

Start bikes 10 at a time ( NO FUc*ing way it will work!!! )
Old 01-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #28
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,727
[QUOTE=Baja Dad;20450664]
Quote:
Lots of new stuff, like cars qualifying Wast of time and money!!. Quals will be held at the race directors property out by Pepsi Stand.

New routes for San Flippy including north of Hwy 3 ( Cool!!!!)

4th Mexico race: Mexicalli to San Flippy lay over and then San Flippy to Ensenada ( Sounds like fun !! !!)

Another Baja 2000 for the 50th ( Hell YA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Bikes on own day ( HELL NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )

Once a sportsman bike is passed by car, his race is over ( Make everybody ride PRO CLASS !!!!!!!!!!)

Start bikes 10 at a time ( NO FUc*ing way it will work!!! )
Bd why do you think making people race pro is any better. Only difference is it costs more money and you can brag your racing pro class. Unless they require qualifications to enter pro the only thing it will do is make score more money.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #29
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
[QUOTE=frog;20450822]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post

Bd why do you think making people race pro is any better. Only difference is it costs more money and you can brag your racing pro class. Unless they require qualifications to enter pro the only thing it will do is make score more money.
It will make the Bike classes BIGGER!! If SCORE make more money then they will keep the Bikes around!
Having 2 or 3 bikes in you class is NO fun
Just like it was back thru the 80's and 90's
We use to have 10-20 bikes in a class
It is a lot more fun when you have someone to race then to just ride around.
IMO: They need to FIX the Class break down,
Class 20 250cc 4-stroke and under 200cc 2-stroke and under
Class 21 250cc 2-stroke up to 400 cc 4-stroke
Class 22 OPEN 450 cc and up
Class 29 IRONMAN ( any size bike above 200cc )
Class 30 ( 30 yrs to 39yrs)
Class 40 (40yrs to 49 yrs)
Class 50 ( 50 yrs to 59yrs)
Class 60 ( 60yrs and up )
Old 01-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #30
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryShawn View Post
good god, don't go getting your pants in a bunch
I'm with ya on that.
Everyone just relax, things are going to get better for bikes in SCORE.

Part of the interview last night I didn't really dig was multiple mentions of "vips" and "special people". Almost as if there's going to become a big(ger) gap between the Famous and the Average Joes. iI'd imagine it's mainly a TV draw thing, I dunno, but it seemed odd to me.

Regardless of that I still think things are going to get better for the bikes.

I've had long talks with Norman and a few things like using old routes north of 3 I suggested as weel as some bike things (no further info to divuldge).

re: Qualifying for TT & 1 is awesome, just like BITD does it. If you are a fast C1 guy why suffer behind a mess of TTs? It's totally fair.

re: Get passed by a TT and you're out.... I don't believe it will happen. Shoot what was it at this last 1000, only about 20 bikes finsihed before the 1st TT? I think it was just him saying to the effect that "something" needs to happen.

re: Starting 10 at a time... Yes it's totally do-able at some events. Years ago I outlined to SCORE how to do it at Felipe keep it safe for the riders all in attempts to create a longer gap between last atv & 1st TT.
I mean, it would be death to start 2-3 at a time at Felipe with the current initial 10 miles. There's another way to do it and keep the Start at the Arches.
I also gave him another SICK idea for something to do at Felipe. If it ever happens we'll see. It would be epic for sure.

Starting out of Ensenada would be difficult to start multiple bikes at a time but Normans idea might work - starting on the beach at the south end of the main drag. BITD did exactly this 2 times years ago but only 1 bike at a time. It could work and be really cool if done right.

re: Pro vs Sprtsmn - NO, it's not the plan (although I've always suggested it) to make everyone race Pro. Norman has some ideas that, well, let's just say he thinks on a different level (must be a money thing). He really wants more bikes, like a lot more bikes.

And even though the Reno event is part of Kudlas series and not a team event I think it will work out well. But I'd really like to see a long-course team event up there because it's such awesome country.

Many people think SCORE bikes is BAJA racing, fine. But we used to also have in the same series a race in CA and in AZ. i think going back to a US race would be awesome (except that my elbow and wrist is so messed up it hurts to race anymore).

Just prep your bikes and save you $, it'll be worth it.
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote