Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
opium89 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Off-Road Show Low to Flagstaff

I am having one hell of a time trying to navigate Sitegreaves. There's a few canyons Northwest from the 260, between there and the 87. I can't seem to find any crossing points without going all the way around. I'd love to hear from anyone with a little experience in this area.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
opium89 OP
Beastly Adventurer

As a bit of a side note, can someone explain to me what the dashed brown lines indicate? I assumed these were trails, but I am left uncertain if they are walking trails, or ATV. The legend on the Garmin page for these maps blows goats...

Old 06-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,985
We have done DS trips thru that area the last 4 years and have found several nice mostly dirt routes.

I also have noticed that there are some canyons that don't have roads across them. I am sure the reason is that the sides are just too steep and the canyons too deep. And you indeed have to just go around.

I have posted all my tracks on dualsportmaps.com and GPSXchange.com.
wbbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
opium89 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I will take a look for your routes there. There are a couple of spots in those canyons marked as "crossing", Chevelon Crossing, Hanson Crossing, etc..It you look at Google Earth, I can't tell if there are actually bridges there. If not, I am thinking of just booking North to Winslow then 40 to Flagstaff. I really kind of want to explore the off road option if I can. I've basically gotten as far on the topo map as Chevelon Canyon Lake, kinda stuck from there. =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
We have done DS trips thru that area the last 4 years and have found several nice mostly dirt routes.

I also have noticed that there are some canyons that don't have roads across them. I am sure the reason is that the sides are just too steep and the canyons too deep. And you indeed have to just go around.

I have posted all my tracks on dualsportmaps.com and GPSXchange.com.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

There are some nice roads around Mormon Lake.

One of them comes up to the lake from the southeast. There is a rough fun section for several miles. I think it is FR 82 You can get to it off of AZ 87 about 25 miles south of Winslow.

Last year we took some really pleasant forest roads west of Mormon Lake and met up with Lake Mary road just outside of Flag.

The Mogollon Rim road south of Show Low is a good one that goes for about 100 miles if you did the whole thing.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
opium89 OP
Beastly Adventurer

What can you tell me about the indian reservations in the area? Anything special hoops need to be jumped through to ride through their land? I'm trying to avoid them for the most part, but is there any particular reason why I should?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

I don't have too much experience with that. I can't think of anything in the Show Low/Flag area. Problem there is more with private ranch land which all seems to be closed.

There is a dirt road from Winslow to Metero Crater south of I-40 that we wanted to take once. But I checked with a local and he told me the Hopis owned the land and it was closed.

We have always been able to ride on major BIA roads on the Navajo Rez. There is a nice section south of I-40 just west of the NM border and we have ridden quite a bit up around Chaco Canyon and Chinle.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Dustydude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I'd avoid the res if at all possible. Its a gamble and you'll have virtually no legal rights to dispute or defend your position in the event you run into trouble. They don't joke around with trespassing and show absolutely no leeway or exceptions in the event you're found riding on a road you're not supposed to be. And, accident %s go WAY up when you're on the res and many are nasty. Drinking and driving is a massive problem on many reservations.

I too wanted to ride some of the roads and areas located on a reservation in AZ and was told "you'll be arrested, your bike will be impounded, and you'll be severely fined for trespassing among other things". I went as far as speaking with the chief of police and public safety for one of the reservations and politely asked for permission...I was told the same thing. That's my .02 on the res...its just not worth it, which is really too bad. Its ironic because they can use BLM land w/ no restrictions.

Good luck-
Dustydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
Dustydude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
One last thing...the tribal court system isn't anywhere as ass-backwards and poorly ran as ours....its worse.
Dustydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
NomorBills
WesternExplorer

Oddometer: 150
The best way to go from Show Low to Flag would be The Rim Road or FR300. Runs right out of Show Low and will take you to near Clint Wells on on HWY 87. from there you can take Lake Mary rd into Flag.
NomorBills is offline   Reply With Quote