Liz
MsLizVt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:24 AM   #317
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt View Post
I think he did a lot of navel gazing and pondering in that above photo where he's sitting with his chin in the palm of his hand, looking at his rolled pride and joy. There were a couple of times where I did the same thing, pondering what it'll take to get the car back on the road and how I messed up to get into this situation. You know what I mean.
Been there, done that.

It's always appeared to me that Robbie could win this thing, if he just relaxed a bit. With any luck, with the bulk of the race before him and the chance of winning gone, he'll just go out and have some fun. If he can do that, I think he could learn something big from it.

Passion is the big one that motivates us to do this sort of thing. We just fucking love it. But with too much passion, too much focus, it ceases to fun. And, in my experience, it eliminates that variable that makes it possible to win. And if you do luck into the win, it lacks the joy it should have brought.

I really hope that, like him playing with the local kids and the rc car, he just goes out and has fun with it.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #318
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Been there, done that.

It's always appeared to me that Robbie could win this thing, if he just relaxed a bit. With any luck, with the bulk of the race before him and the chance of winning gone, he'll just go out and have some fun. If he can do that, I think he could learn something big from it.

Passion is the big one that motivates us to do this sort of thing. We just fucking love it. But with too much passion, too much focus, it ceases to fun. And, in my experience, it eliminates that variable that makes it possible to win. And if you do luck into the win, it lacks the joy it should have brought.

I really hope that, like him playing with the local kids and the rc car, he just goes out and has fun with it.
That is the answer. The harder you try, the easier it is to have unforced errors. No doubt Robbie places way too much pressure on himself. Now all the pressure is off and he can rise to the top. He will not win overall, however if he can come roaring back each day he will have won the crowd. In the end he may well be the only one they remember.
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #319
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
I've never understood the logic of having gullwing doors on a car that stands a good likelihood of ending up on it's lid, and the video of them trying to get out only reinforces that.

They couldn't open Robby's door at all, and the other didn't exactly provide easy egress. But what to I know, eh?

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #320
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,991
I was wondering why some built-in flipping over device couldn't be constructed. See this video and skip to about 2:10:

It wouldn't need to be automatic and motorized. Hooking up a 10 ton portapower device to a metal arm and pumping by hand would do it.

200-300 pound weight penalty, with the benefit that you'll never be stuck for four hours waiting to roll your own vehicle back over? Maybe that's worth it. Maybe not... I know I'm Wednesday morning quarterbacking here.

Anders
Old 01-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #321
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
I was wondering why some built-in flipping over device couldn't be constructed. See this video and skip to about 2:10:

It wouldn't need to be automatic and motorized. Hooking up a 10 ton portapower device to a metal arm and pumping by hand would do it.

200-300 pound weight penalty, with the benefit that you'll never be stuck for four hours waiting to roll your own vehicle back over? Maybe that's worth it. Maybe not... I know I'm Wednesday morning quarterbacking here.

Anders
As ugly as the buggies are, I can see the merit of designing the body of your vehicle to be more "self-righting" if flipped. With the large, flat surface area on the top of the Hummers, I could see how they'd be a bugger to get flipped back over. That being said, the Hummers do look cooler than anything else.

Here's Gallagher's attempt at it :)

http://youtu.be/ulHO_dbyBSg?t=1m14s
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #322
El Brad
Leave it long on top

Oddometer: 445
Thumb Looks like Robby is in......

Repeat of yesterday,

300BUGGY

03:32:08- -

302MINI

03:40:4400:08:36-

315Hummer

03:46:0000:13:52

And, yes I am watching Advrider at work

Its great being overpaid and underworked
El Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #323
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,458
he's definitely back.... now he's just gotta start smokin' pekkerhansel on some stages, and the planets will regain proper alignment, and everything will be right in the world...
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #324
Turbocelica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Maybe those tire changing rams just in front of the rear tires could be exchanged for some double acting cylinders? Then it would be a matter of digging a hole in the sand big enough switch the head from one side to the other. It would make sense to leave the foot on the roof side because a flat won't leave the bottom of the buggy against the the ground.

As far as the suspension.....
Does anyone what material they use on the underside of the trailing arm, A-arms or between the A-arms? The stuff between the A-arms seems to stretch as the suspension moves.
Turbocelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #325
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
Erik Carlson "Carlsson på taket" ("Carlsson on the roof") always maintained that the best thing about the Saab 96 was how easy it was to put back on it's wheels again after it had rolled.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #326
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocelica View Post
As far as the suspension.....
Does anyone what material they use on the underside of the trailing arm, A-arms or between the A-arms? The stuff between the A-arms seems to stretch as the suspension moves.
Probably HDPE plastic sheet, pretty common in the rally world.....
Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #327
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Been there, done that.

Great commentary, Drif.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #328
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,639
Did anyone figure out what the tantrum was about when he was yelling at co driver Kellon and tossed his helmet at him? Seemed Robbie was yelling something about their Dakar being over with and intimating it was Kellon's fault.
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #329
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Did anyone figure out what the tantrum was about when he was yelling at co driver Kellon and tossed his helmet at him? Seemed Robbie was yelling something about their Dakar being over with and intimating it was Kellon's fault.
I didn't see it that way at all. He was clearly upset, but mostly with himself. Some of that frustration went Kellon's way, but I didn't see it as being disrespectful to Kellon. Just blowing off some steam. And I didn't see him toss the helmet AT Kellon, but rather TO Kellon.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #330
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,639
Did you see the video today where there was actually some audio to go with it? I just watched it earlier this evening and can't figure out where it was I watched it. (Sorry, watched too many clips today). He was clearly yelling towards/at and berating him.
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote