ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #1531
Duelsporter
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Duelsporter's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Walnut Grove, GA
Oddometer: 247
Got the low bars installed yesterday (Bikemaster Euro bend). They don't look all that much lower in the pictures, but when you look at the bars side-by-side, you can see how much higher the stock bars were. Had a couple of issues. I ordered shims for the bar clamps, but I didn't realize the clutch and front brake perch were on the 1" diameter portion of the stock bars. I thought all the controls were on the 7/8" diameter portion. So I had to go to the local bicycle shop to buy some more shims for the perches. After getting everything installed, the throttle was sticky -- not readily springing back to the closed position. The problem turned out to be the now extra length of the stock throttle cables. I experimented with the positioning of the cables to make them operate more smoothly. Here's how the bars look on the bike:



The shims for the bar clamps (trimmed to the proper width):



The mirrors (which aren't all that great on the stock bars) now showed my nothing but my arms and shoulders. Used some E-Bay billet mirror extenders which reposition the mirrors up 1" and out 2" or so. Much better view now.



Lastly, I installed new Progrip model 714 grips.



Overall, I'm very happy with the results. About $50.00 for the whole setup - much less $ than the Kawasaki low-bar kit from Europe.
__________________
06 Suzuki DR650SE
04 Yamaha FZ1
90 Honda Hawk GT, 00 Kawasaki W650
79 Honda CBX
82 Honda CB900F

Duelsporter screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 01:57 PM
Duelsporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #1532
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Barnone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 3,715
Duelsporter,
Very nice job on the handlebar install and cable routing. I still have the high bars on my W but could use those mirror extensions. Do you get any blurring with the mirror extensions?
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC
2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #1533
Duelsporter
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Duelsporter's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Walnut Grove, GA
Oddometer: 247
The mirrors do seem to vibrate a tiny bit more than when on the stock bars, but they also did so before I put on the extenders. I think the the 7/8" bars are more the culprit than the extenders. They are nowhere near as stout as the stock Kawasaki bars. The extra vibration is not a big deal, though.
__________________
06 Suzuki DR650SE
04 Yamaha FZ1
90 Honda Hawk GT, 00 Kawasaki W650
79 Honda CBX
82 Honda CB900F
Duelsporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #1534
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate
 
ORexpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: West of Seattle . . .
Oddometer: 2,636
Very nice job! Looks good.
__________________
Old . . . and . . . Slow

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #1535
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Barnone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duelsporter View Post
The mirrors do seem to vibrate a tiny bit more than when on the stock bars, but they also did so before I put on the extenders. I think the the 7/8" bars are more the culprit than the extenders. They are nowhere near as stout as the stock Kawasaki bars. The extra vibration is not a big deal, though.
Thanks, then I'll try the extenders.
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC
2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #1536
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider
 
GoonerYoda's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Wine Country, CA
Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Very fine steel wool, preferably stainless, with some WD40 as lubricant. You can get the stainless wool at a boat supply shop.
I found #0000 stainless wool at Home Depot, used a bit of WD40 and it worked great. Should have taken some before and after pictures.

The surface rust was on the springs really, one a few of the larger bolts and on the mirrors.

Again, thanks for the tip!
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #1537
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post
I found #0000 stainless wool at Home Depot, used a bit of WD40 and it worked great. Should have taken some before and after pictures.

The surface rust was on the springs really, one a few of the larger bolts and on the mirrors.

Again, thanks for the tip!

Excellent, glad it worked out for you!
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #1538
tonysmallframe
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Oddometer: 29
Any ideas on a good starting price? Looking at this bike locally..

"The bike is in perfect shape, always garage kept and never ridden in the rain . The bike has never been down or crashed etc. Last year I had a full tune up on the bike , carbs , valves , front pads etc. ( I have all the records for these and previous owner info)

All oil changes have been done by myself with wix filters at 1500 miles as I always like clean oil in my bikes. The bike simply runs perfectly.

I lowered the handle bars and put a more slim w 650 kawasaki knee pad on the bike , both huge improvements in my opinion. I also painted the tank black ( did not like the blue and silver ) and took off the tank badges ( did not like their aesthetics) . I have all the original parts ( in perfect condition) as well as some extra oil filters

I have to look for the exact mileage but I believe it is around 22k right now"
tonysmallframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #1539
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider
 
GoonerYoda's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Wine Country, CA
Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysmallframe View Post
Any ideas on a good starting price? Looking at this bike locally..

"The bike is in perfect shape, always garage kept and never ridden in the rain . The bike has never been down or crashed etc. Last year I had a full tune up on the bike , carbs , valves , front pads etc. ( I have all the records for these and previous owner info)

All oil changes have been done by myself with wix filters at 1500 miles as I always like clean oil in my bikes. The bike simply runs perfectly.

I lowered the handle bars and put a more slim w 650 kawasaki knee pad on the bike , both huge improvements in my opinion. I also painted the tank black ( did not like the blue and silver ) and took off the tank badges ( did not like their aesthetics) . I have all the original parts ( in perfect condition) as well as some extra oil filters

I have to look for the exact mileage but I believe it is around 22k right now"
Hard to tell. It would vary regionally.

$3500-$4kish IMO...maybe $4200. The fact that the owner painted the tank is the reason for my valuation. Did he rattle can the shit, or did he get it professionally done, and I'm not talking MAACO paint job either. A replacement tank isn't cheap. However, you have an opportunity to keep it black or repaint it knowing that it wasn't YOU who changed the original paint scheme of the tank.

WIX filters are generally not recommended.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #1540
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 15,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post
Hard to tell. It would vary regionally.

$3500-$4kish IMO...maybe $4200. The fact that the owner painted the tank is the reason for my valuation. Did he rattle can the shit, or did he get it professionally done, and I'm not talking MAACO paint job either. A replacement tank isn't cheap. However, you have an opportunity to keep it black or repaint it knowing that it wasn't YOU who changed the original paint scheme of the tank.

WIX filters are generally not recommended.
I think the paint job, professionally done or not - takes away significant value. I'd be closer to the $3200-$3500 range.
If it was repainted two-tone with pin striping and done nicely... different story.
To get the bike back to having the nice two-tone paint, you'll spend several hundred dollars.

The mileage isn't high, but 22k is not cream puff territory either. If I were looking, I'd wait for one like mine to come along
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #1541
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider
 
GoonerYoda's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Wine Country, CA
Oddometer: 547
There's a $500 California tax on motorcycles....because California is gonna Cali.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #1542
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer
 
pjensen641's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Boone, IA
Oddometer: 325
Well folks, wish me luck. Heading to OK tomorrow to pick this up.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcd/3435763979.html


Negotiated down to 3K flat. Bike was dropped on the left side. Must have been walking pace. I have more detailed photos that show light scratches in the stator cover, an abraded turn signal lens, mirror and some scratching on the left pipe. Looked pretty minimal. Ssid there is also a blemish in the top of the tank, guessing from a tank bag. 39K miles. Most unfortunately is the lack of knowledge of the original owner. However, when the cheapest I have seen them go for recently is $3800, I think it is a fair price. Wont sting much to modify it a bit and ride it knowing it will never be a pristine example. I was planning to put lower bars and bar-end mirrors on anyway.

Anyone have ideas on reasonable exhaust replacement? I like the dual pea shooter look. All I can find so far are Emgos at about $100/side, but no way to retain the crossover. Everything else is a full system from $800 on up. Anyone else not running a crossover pipe? Any noticeable performance decrease?

If anyone knows a reason to pass this one up....speak now or forever hold your peace
pjensen641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #1543
Duelsporter
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Duelsporter's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Walnut Grove, GA
Oddometer: 247
Bike looks pretty good in the pictures - $3K seems very fair. I don't know of any W650-specific exhaust systems here in the US -- though there may be some of which I am not aware. There are several systems available in Japan and Europe. The best sounding one I have heard (on YouTube) is made by a Japanese company called Posh-Faith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K60L5zjw3xo
__________________
06 Suzuki DR650SE
04 Yamaha FZ1
90 Honda Hawk GT, 00 Kawasaki W650
79 Honda CBX
82 Honda CB900F
Duelsporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:04 AM   #1544
greer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Glasgow, Kentucky
Oddometer: 3,635
Good luck and drive safe, be sure and get back to us about the bike. I must have clicked on that ad a dozen times.

Sarah



Quote:
Originally Posted by pjensen641 View Post
Well folks, wish me luck. Heading to OK tomorrow to pick this up.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcd/3435763979.html


Negotiated down to 3K flat. Bike was dropped on the left side. Must have been walking pace. I have more detailed photos that show light scratches in the stator cover, an abraded turn signal lens, mirror and some scratching on the left pipe. Looked pretty minimal. Ssid there is also a blemish in the top of the tank, guessing from a tank bag. 39K miles. Most unfortunately is the lack of knowledge of the original owner. However, when the cheapest I have seen them go for recently is $3800, I think it is a fair price. Wont sting much to modify it a bit and ride it knowing it will never be a pristine example. I was planning to put lower bars and bar-end mirrors on anyway.

Anyone have ideas on reasonable exhaust replacement? I like the dual pea shooter look. All I can find so far are Emgos at about $100/side, but no way to retain the crossover. Everything else is a full system from $800 on up. Anyone else not running a crossover pipe? Any noticeable performance decrease?

If anyone knows a reason to pass this one up....speak now or forever hold your peace
__________________
'08 DR650; '06 XL883 Standard
greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #1545
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Barnone's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: WNC SWFL
Oddometer: 3,715
bjenson641,
Don't see how you can go wrong at that price plus as you say you can modify it to your heart's content and not feel guilty.

A good place to ask your exhaust questions is the W650 Yahoo group. The files there contain just about everything you can do to a W650.

Keep us supplied with photos of your new to you W.


I get a kick out of mine every time I ride it.
__________________
Vince @ SWFL or WNC
2001 Kawasaki W650
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014