Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #91
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
I repaired the puncture from the last pushy ride/walk.
It's had a slow leak for a month or so that I thought was the valve. A small section of the tyre was touching the frame rail so I had let the air out and rotated the tyre a few cm and pumped it back up. This was enough for the thorn to come out of its little hole apparently...

Much nicer riding with air in the tyres...
Old 12-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #92
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
We can probably organise something, R. I've still got plenty to get done on my bikes.
Anything organised yet ?
I've been doing some research on the front wheel wobble at 140+km/h(on a closed road of course ) and it may be the suspension set up
Apparently it helps with cornering too. Who knew ? *facepalm*
ztaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #93
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj View Post
Anything organised yet ?
I've been doing some research on the front wheel wobble at 140+km/h(on a closed road of course ) and it may be the suspension set up
Apparently it helps with cornering too. Who knew ? *facepalm*
Nope but still keen. Let you locals organise.

Cheers R

05 KTM 450 EXC
cooneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #94
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,487
Short notice, but... tomorrow night, Weds 9th, feel free to come over to my place for bikes/bbq/booze etc.

Shed time!

Edit: and wrt to ztaJ's suspension, it might be an idea if we go out for a short ride with a good spread of terrain to do some suspension setup. This weekend some time? Although setting sag is #1 priority and should be done first.
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #95
ztaj
jatz

Quote:
Short notice, but... tomorrow night, Weds 9th, feel free to come over to my place for bikes/bbq/booze etc.

Shed time!

Edit: and wrt to ztaJ's suspension, it might be an idea if we go out for a short ride with a good spread of terrain to do some suspension setup. This weekend some time? Although setting sag is #1 priority and should be done first.
Tomorrow night sounds good.
After much research and contemplation ( I chatted to woodman ) I raised the forks about 15 mm before going through Molesworth. It seems to have worked in eliminating the feeling of "pushing" the front in corners, much more stable at pace too.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #96
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Quote:
Tomorrow night sounds good.
After much research and contemplation ( I chatted to woodman ) I raised the forks about 15 mm before going through Molesworth. It seems to have worked in eliminating the feeling of "pushing" the front in corners, much more stable at pace too.
On the XR, there was a huge difference changing the forks by 3mm...

It went from being ok for MX but too twitchy for anything else, to comfortable for a 3hr X/C.

The twitchyness came with changing from a 23" to 21" front wheel and raising the back with some new shocks.
It equalled raising the forks through the clamps by 50mm
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:41 AM   #97
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 938
Topical indeed.

Weirdly the klrs handling has gone well pearshaped of late.

Since replacing the trailwing to an mt21 and the smooth fullbore with a shinko 244, replacing the steering head bearings and putting the IAS rear shocky in,the bike is having serious front end issues. Sledging, very slow steering. I have played with raising the forks in the clamps with some success, but still not great. Problem is I am not sure which one of the things I have replaced is responsible. The rear shock is lovely which may mean I am riding faster and the front is just being more klrish than normal possibly?? maybe just the lack of riding time e.g. rider issues?

Any thoughts, not sure yet if I can make the shed night.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:36 AM   #98
NordieBoy OP
Armature speller

Rear sag OK?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #99
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Oddometer: 521
Quote:

Shed time!

I'm in. What time roughly?

Cheers R

05 KTM 450 EXC
cooneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #100
warewolf
Tyre critic

Quote:
I raised the forks about 15 mm before going through Molesworth. It seems to have worked in eliminating the feeling of "pushing" the front in corners, much more stable at pace too.
Raised or lowered? Raising the forks in the triple clamps will make the bike significantly less stable, as you are standing the bike on its nose by 15mm, steepening the rake.

Changing the fork height by 5mm is considered a big change for a road bike. Therefore 15mm is atronomical, but tempered by the long travel suspension. My Triumph had a 2mm spacer inserted in the shock which increased the ride height at the axle approx 6mm... that made a massive difference to the handling of the bike.

If you did actually raise the forks and it feels more stable, then it sounds like the extra front weight bias has made it feel planted. Which implies the rear is too low, making it feel like a chopper, or the handlebars are too far back. My 640A with the bars in the standard position felt like a chopper, with too much rearward weight bias. I run them rotated forward in the clamps at position 1 of about 2.5 available (ran 1.5 for a while but that was excessive). Pulls your torso forward to load up the front. You may be able to do similar. I also ran the original '90-'92 bars on the Triumph, which were lower than the '93-on ones. The bike was designed for the former. Again, this put more weight on the front wheel; with the higher bars it felt like a bus/barge with a huge disconnect to the front wheel.

Checking the sag will tell you how the rear is sitting, versus the design of the bike - you'd expect the chassis to be basically correct once the springs are.

The change could also be a confidence thing. A little more confidence and you are opening the throttle a lot more. Front-end-heavy bikes like the 640A need throttle to drive the bike through the corner, unweighting the front and rear wheel steering; works even with road-oriented tyres. Best thing you can do to make it steer is fit a fresh chunky rear tyre to get lots of driving bite. So you may be feeling confident enough to ride the bike more vigorously, helping it to handle.
The Stable
Old 01-08-2013, 02:59 AM   #101
warewolf
Tyre critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
I'm in. What time roughly?
I'll get the bbq fired up about 5:30pm to feed the wee lad before it gets too late, so anytime from then on.
The Stable
Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 AM   #102
warewolf
Tyre critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Weirdly the klrs handling has gone well pearshaped of late.
As well as the sag, how's the length of the new shock? If it is shorter than the old one, it'll make the rear of the bike squat. Or if it has a weaker spring and/or less preload. Or less compression damping and/or too much rebound, so it is being pushed/held through it's stroke more.

It's very common with replacement shocks that have actual rebound damping for people to dial in too much. Dr Robert says set it up so it feels good, and then back it off 2 clicks, because you'll ALWAYS try to run too much. Too much makes it pack down over successive bumps. On a static push it, on rebound it should overshoot just once and then settle... roughly.

The extra front tyre tread depth may rake out the front a little, but I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference. Depends on the difference between the two tyres, but I'd suspect the shock more.

Could very well be the improved rear action affecting things. Two ways: more speed as you say, or that the rear end is not right but you are noticing the front. The rear is beefier than the forks which are also connected via a hinge, so often rear-end problems present at the front (e.g. headshake caused by worn swingarm/shock linkage bearings).
The Stable
Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 AM   #103
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
As well as the sag, how's the length of the new shock? If it is shorter than the old one, it'll make the rear of the bike squat. Or if it has a weaker spring and/or less preload. Or less compression damping and/or too much rebound, so it is being pushed/held through it's stroke more.

It's very common with replacement shocks that have actual rebound damping for people to dial in too much. Dr Robert says set it up so it feels good, and then back it off 2 clicks, because you'll ALWAYS try to run too much. Too much makes it pack down over successive bumps. On a static push it, on rebound it should overshoot just once and then settle... roughly.

The extra front tyre tread depth may rake out the front a little, but I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference. Depends on the difference between the two tyres, but I'd suspect the shock more.

Could very well be the improved rear action affecting things. Two ways: more speed as you say, or that the rear end is not right but you are noticing the front. The rear is beefier than the forks which are also connected via a hinge, so often rear-end problems present at the front (e.g. headshake caused by worn swingarm/shock linkage bearings).

Good info WW, If I get to the shed night tomorrow we could have a play with the rear shocky. It has no dampening adjustment being a Ricor so that should make things easier. No set up instructions came with it or are available on their site which is a little annoying. I ordered the strongest spring available and the raising links are still fitted as I like ground clearance. 15% static and 30% rider is about what it should be as a rough guide apparently. One thing I have noticed with this shocky is when the bike comes off its stand and the bikes weight comes on the shock the bike slowly gently squats down. is this normal?

innathyzit screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 11:28 AM
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #104
ztaj
jatz

Quote:
Raised or lowered? Raising the forks in the triple clamps will make the bike significantly less stable, as you are standing the bike on its nose by 15mm, steepening the rake .
Hmmmmm....interesting. I raised the forks. The caps were level with the triple clamp, they now sit 15 mm proud. The GS is known to feel a little light in the front end I think.
It could also be a confidence thing, any little twitch has me backing off the gas these days.
See you tonight.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #105
ztaj
jatz

Well...... After much measuring, re measuring, and faffing about.... It feels o.k. in a straight line and is nice to ride (but it was anyway ) I have noticed the cornering has gone back to being a bit vague and wobbly, kinda like the rider.
I'll pick up my tool box tomorrow so I can start ripping things apart after that.
It was good to catch up WW and CooneyR, and I learnt a thing or two. And have a solid baseline to work from with the shocks