Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #31
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,348
The HF meter is adequate for a bike. I'd rather spend extra money for quality leads.

Insulation piercing attachments

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #32
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 8,825
All I can say is after you checking amps with your lead type meter make sure you switch back the leads for checking volts to the correct position. BEFORE you check high voltage again. Only a Fluke DVM will survive.

DAMHIK.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #33
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,070
I have this one

http://dx.com/p/2-6-lcd-current-volt...r-1-6f22-32418

for $21 it's hard to go wrong. It's my kickaround meter and goes in the mobile toolbox in my truck etc. I'd love a Fluke as I enjoy high end tools but I guess I don't need stuff that is super accurate. I've compared it to a Fluke and I get the same resolution so...

You do need to buy the better leads from them as the stockers are junk. I think I was into the whole thing for $25. I wasn't expecting much but since i was ordering a bunch of Li Ion batteries for flashlights I decided what the hell, been a great meter for the couple years I have had it.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #34
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
for a bike the harbor freight is fine. They will last many years, and when they don't, get another. You will spend more on batteries and possibly fuses.

That said a cheap needle meter is often more useful. They usually draw more current, which is better for much troubleshooting, and you can see a needle wiggle when moving a harness that can often be missed on a digital meter.

Rod
+1, was using a DMM for troubleshooting a bike problem recently and it showed good voltage which threw me off....the problem was a very loose connection (courtesy of Joseph Lucas, Prince of Darkness ;-) and when I used a 12V test light instead of the DMM it would not light up since it tried to pull some current....sometimes a test light or analog meter works much better than a DMM

victor441 screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 12:10 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #35
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
Insulation piercing attachments
This sounds naughty, doesn't it?

;-}
Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #36
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
I agree on the HF units. I got my last one free because they had them on sale for $3.99 and also had a coup for $3.99 off on them. I didn't really need it but figured I was getting a free 9V battery.

My favorite is this old pocket multimeter from Radio Shack:

Good features:
- Small, self-contained
- Autoranging
- Audible beep when continuity testing

Most important feature:
- Auto-off!

duck screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 12:04 PM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #37
das Motorradreiter OP
Diehard Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 314
I had not heard of this particular Fluke model and ran across it today screwing around on eBay.

Reading this article, sparked my interest - http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...p?f=8&t=167123

Finding more info http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/fl...ist-67805.html, I was determined to find one.
I've always appreciated MILSPEC stuff. Judging by the info out there on it, it should be the last DMM I will be buying.

A little persistence and I located a really nice one on Craigslist at a pawn shop in SC. It has a rather large, hard carrying case, leads, alligator clips and what looks like a USGI manual. I called the shop and fellow on the other end was very pleasant but would not drop below his $60 asking price. He agreed to ship it to me for an additional $10. A quick PayPal transaction and he emailed me a tracking number. I'll let you all know the result when it arrives.

One final note - my wife did not cringe when I broke the news to her!

das Motorradreiter screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 06:02 PM Reason: wife's response
das Motorradreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #38
wee-twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Looks like you got a nice deal. That meter looks new. I guess the only thing that could kill a Fluke is if the battery leaks.
wee-twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #39
SPEIRMOOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
I agree on the HF units. I got my last one free because they had them on sale for $3.99 and also had a coup for $3.99 off on them. I didn't really need it but figured I was getting a free 9V battery.

My favorite is this old pocket multimeter from Radio Shack:

Good features:
- Small, self-contained
- Autoranging
- Audible beep when continuity testing

Most important feature:
- Auto-off!
I used to have one of thse Radioshack ones they were so handy!
SPEIRMOOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #40
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by das Motorradreiter View Post
I had not heard of this particular Fluke model and ran across it today screwing around on eBay.

One final note - my wife did not cringe when I broke the news to her!
that's a neat one. find one of these to fit it. worth the investment.

07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #41
Tweaker

Oddometer: 8,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
for a bike the harbor freight is fine. They will last many years, and when they don't, get another. You will spend more on batteries and possibly fuses.

That said a cheap needle meter is often more useful. They usually draw more current, which is better for much troubleshooting, and you can see a needle wiggle when moving a harness that can often be missed on a digital meter.

Rod
I like this answer. Test light too. If I was an electrician, an better meter would be required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee-twin View Post
I have used my fluke on 110v, I would not trust my life with a Chinese meter.
Nutz. Don't touch metal and nothing is going to happen with any meter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEIRMOOR View Post
I used to have one of thse Radioshack ones they were so handy!
I've gone through a number of Radio Shack meters and that was my favorite, although it is sitting in a pile of pieces right now. I just finished bottom balancing a bunch of LiFePo batteries (many, many hours of meter time) and between 3 HF meters, there was an .02V difference @ 3V. I learned keeping the battery fresh has a fairly dramatic effect on their accuracy. I also agree about better leads.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:06 AM   #42
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
I'm in the Navy (Nuke power) and for the last 27 years I've missused and abused (along with hundreds of Sailors that I've worked with) many a Fluke 77. I don't remember ever breaking one or having one fail calibration (required annual cal).

Great all around, easy to use meter.
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #43
Twilight Error
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123 View Post
I'm in the Navy (Nuke power) and for the last 27 years I've missused and abused (along with hundreds of Sailors that I've worked with) many a Fluke 77. I don't remember ever breaking one or having one fail calibration (required annual cal).

Great all around, easy to use meter.
I'm in Naval Nuke construction, many of the test procedures in the TM call for Fluke meters specifically and require the permission of the Director of Nuke Test to use something else.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #44
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,759
I have one like this for over 20 years.

Textronix 155, I think Snap-On sold these under the Blue Point label too.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #45
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
I'm in Naval Nuke construction, many of the test procedures in the TM call for Fluke meters specifically and require the permission of the Director of Nuke Test to use something else.
Fluke is the standard at at&t for central office work too, used them for years with no trouble...but at home I've been using a Radio Shack 22-812 autoranging meter and it has been fine for the vehicle and hobby work (building tube amps)...just a run of the mill meter but has a couple of features that are usually found on much more expensive units, calibration pots and isolated RS232 data output (which can be converted to USB or bluetooth w/ an adapter)
Often on sale for $50, recently replaced by 22-039 which appears to be identical (but who knows inside), however the originals are still out there...

victor441 screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 12:01 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote