Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #31
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
Love the bike and would do it again:

You did a great choice. When it came out I was ready for a bike change and that color did put a dilemma in my head between that and the 800GS. I took the 800 because of the wheels and the upside down fork but I'm sure I wouldn't have regretted that choice either!
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #32
Vettel OP
MotoDave

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
AFAIK, the sun yellow F650GS SE was a 2012 option that cost around 300 bucks extra. I always wanted a F650 for past few years until I walked in the local dealer early summer and happened to see a yellow F650GS with the right options and bought it on the spot. After breaking it in and getting familiar with it during the first 2000 miles, I rode it across USA from San Francisco Bay Area to New York City and then down to Atlanta Georgia. I had no problem with it after some 7,000 miles. Got many complements from others I met on the roads regarding how good this bike look, it stood out a bit since most riders I've met are riding Harley, very few BMW Enduro.

Love the bike and would do it again:

Wow. Love the bike. Thanks for the info on it being a 2012 option only.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #33
Vettel OP
MotoDave

Firstly, i would like to sincerely thank all those who took the time to reply, i know thats the point of forums, but its all to easy to read and take. Thanks.

Secondly, with regards the options and after your inputs and more readings over the weekend, my choice..... I think its going to be a 2012 F650 in the yellow and black, special edition. If i can one of these cheaper than an F700, great, especially if it has a few bolt on's attached! I love the grey F700 too, but likely as not I will go for a used or ex demo machine.

I truly think that whilst the strom is a great bike, and comfortable and reliable, every time i see a beemer, i am going to be wondering, what if?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #34
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Here's a scan from BMW brochure on the 2012 SE:

A short video of my Land Cruiser 4wheeling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9DbDcySobs
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #35
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettel View Post
Firstly, i would like to sincerely thank all those who took the time to reply, i know thats the point of forums, but its all to easy to read and take. Thanks.

Secondly, with regards the options and after your inputs and more readings over the weekend, my choice..... I think its going to be a 2012 F650 in the yellow and black, special edition. If i can one of these cheaper than an F700, great, especially if it has a few bolt on's attached! I love the grey F700 too, but likely as not I will go for a used or ex demo machine.

I truly think that whilst the strom is a great bike, and comfortable and reliable, every time i see a beemer, i am going to be wondering, what if?
Great choice - you won't regret it. So... that means we'll be seeing a lot more of you around here right?
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #36
lskbike
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I am in the exact same situation as Larlec in the below post. I love the Bike, a 2009 F650GS (twin) bought new, but because of the same issues I don't trust it and now rarely ride it. I have only ridden it 4K miles in 3 1/2 years compared to about 10K miles per year on more trustworthy bikes I have had and some I still own. (By the way, for those that are wondering...Yes! I use Techtron) Because of all the Farkles $$$$ I also plan on riding mine more this season. If it fails to start one more time it is gone! I will get it running one last time and then dump it for a VStrom. One of my riding partners has a 2012 WeeStrom... Hasn't ever been in for a warranty repair and has never failed to start or even die unexpectedly... I sure can't say that for any of the BMW's I have owned over the last 14 years... (Many) This will probably be my last BMW no matter what.

LSKBike

Quote:
Originally Posted by larlec View Post
I've had 4 BMWs and sold my 1150GS and later bought an F650GS. I've had it for 3 years now (just off warranty) but have not put tons of miles on it for a variety of reasons. I did put lots of miles on my 1150 including a run to Guatemala from Colorado.

The F650 is one of the nicest rides I've ever had - a bit underpowered on the highway but certainly acceptable. As a commuter it's a superb ride. I've probably spent $2.5k on farkles including rebuilding the seat, new windshield, engine guards, etc. but I could see spending that on the Wee as well.

I love the F650 - when it's running right and there's the rub. BMW completely blew it on the fuel system set up and I've had the bike in at least 4 times for new injectors, fuel pump, cracked fuel tank and it still has some problems they do not seem to be able to work out with the engine dying when down shifing from time to time. Unfortunately I no longer trust the bike and the worst thing that can happen with a bike is to lose trust in it. Two or three times I've looked at Wees and should have pulled the trigger on a great deal last fall but was hesitant for a day and lost it. I hesitated because I just have too much money in the F650 and I really want it to work. I'm going to ride it this summer and if I can cure it's problems and regain trust I'll keep it, if not I'll probably pick up a Wee or look for an old 1150GS again or maybe a Moto Guzzi.

I feel the Wee is a much less sophisticated bike and that's exactly why I'd buy it - the F650 and all the recent BMWs seem to be way over-engineered to the point of being somewhat fragile - they have a really hard time handling something as simple as 10% ethanol gas and are, at least for me, fairly difficult to work on. As for being boring, I've never been bored on a bike, even when crossing the plains or on other long runs with minimal external stimulation. I have, however, been really pissed when my F650 stalled and kept stalling and I have been bored when my bike was in the shop for weeks at a time while they replaced injectors and parts that could not handle the most common gas mix in North America. Just my experience, yous may vary completely.
lskbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:56 AM   #37
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 523
Iskbke, Larlec,

Really sorry to hear that you have had so many problems. It is a shame that this has kept you from riding and enjoying your bikes. do you guys have "lemon laws"? seem it may apply.

clearly something is wrong and the dealer and BMW have not successfully fixed for you.

However having said that, there are a lot of f800s of various models that have racked up a lot of miles with few or no problems. I have 32k on mine and have only changed the chain and spark plugs(deal did this a part of the last service).Of course I'm on my 4th set of tires.

ps bike has always started easily,never failed once, still have original battery (2010 bike) and we have some cold weather here in vermont....I do use a battery tender over the winter...I've found this really helps battery life.

I do agree with the general perception that the westrom is more reliable. but just a little heavier, a little slower and not quite as agile in the twisties
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #38
Vettel OP
MotoDave

And its exactly the problems and disappointment of these last few posts that made me look at the strom in the first place as beauty aint it!. Once confidence is lost, its a very sour experience - and after a previous jeep cherokee fiasco... (& the wife..... Aye aye aye....)
My heart leans to the 650 SE without hesitation, and head towards the v-strom. I have a couple of months to decide which is the nice thing. Makes ones head ache!!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #39
Vettel OP
MotoDave

Bluhduh

And then the bloody honda CB500X goes and shows up....
The choice of two went to three.
Kill me now