Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #856
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,520
MSR windscreen is all I use but..... I'm jealous of these fabricated pieces of engineering.

Think El Martillo is related to Ownst
fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #857
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
For a weekender, I tend to bring either pre cooked rice sealed in an air tight bag, teamed up with a can or two of Tescos chicken or beef curry, it cooks nice and fast, saves fuel, and goes excellently with beer.
I never bother with breakfast anyway, so my breakkie, is Tescos one cup French filter coffee.
The coffee is far superior to the instant stuff eg Nescafe etc, and of course acompanied by a a couple of ciggies.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #858
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1150 View Post
For a weekender, I tend to bring either pre cooked rice sealed in an air tight bag, teamed up with a can or two of Tescos chicken or beef curry, it cooks nice and fast, saves fuel, and goes excellently with beer.
I never bother with breakfast anyway, so my breakkie, is Tescos one cup French filter coffee.
The coffee is far superior to the instant stuff eg Nescafe etc, and of course acompanied by a a couple of ciggies.
Funny, while visiting the UK I heard some English relatives of mine refer to instant coffee as "American coffee". Couldn't be further from the truth. I saw more instant coffee in UK and EU than I have ever seen in the US. I refused to drink it while I was there too.
ElMartillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #859
Chris K
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Never heard instant referred to as American... most strange - Wonder if it's a WWII hang-over?

Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #860
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMartillo View Post
Funny, while visiting the UK I heard some English relatives of mine refer to instant coffee as "American coffee". Couldn't be further from the truth. I saw more instant coffee in UK and EU than I have ever seen in the US. I refused to drink it while I was there too.

Hah! I'd have to say the same. I've seen more instant coffee in Europe than I ever have in America.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 AM   #861
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
But we've got instant tea!
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #862
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,330
This old thread still has some legs.

I car camp when out with the bike. I bring a mini grill. Gives me something to do at night. Use the coals to start the evening fire when finished. I try to cook enuff so I have leftovers for lunch the next day.

I make stuff like burgers,

Or links.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #863
alexk243
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post

MSR Whisperlite International (Run on 87 octane) with windshield and GSI Halulite cookware.

Ive found that the aluminum windshield for the Whisperlite is more than sufficient for wind coverage. I see a lot of the post have very large windscreens, but I guess coming from hiking/backpacking before I got into motorcycling, I was more concerned about weight.
Also I forgot to note; I am cooking mac and cheese and summer sausage :-) Best meal on that trip. I found summer sausage is great to carry because its one of the only non-dried meats that does not need refrigeration. Although I am not including canned meats as that is out of the question due to weight of the cans. That cooking was done while my buddy and I were scaling Mt. Harvard near Buena Vista, CO (14,500' or so) so we had to carry everything in for a day or two and carry all our trash out so cans would not have been good and I wanted the lightest/smallest windscreen I could carry.

I think the MSR Whisperlite is one of the best for ADV Riding because the fuel canisters can double as back up gas for the bike and vice-versa. Also the fuel is widely available (Octane 87-100, Aviation fuel, white gas, kerosene, etc...).
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #864
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
ive never heard of instant coffee referred to as "american"? perhaps an area that was near a ww2 or cold war air station perhaps? but i thought you guys preferred the real thing, and who can blame you we get some right crap here. you can get some decent stuff but its just as expensive as going in a cafe, so why bother when someone else can do the washing up? people are getting wise that a decent coffee is worth paying for, so barista style is coming on slowly....
my mate has a microvan barista business with an espresso machine in it, he does coffee that makes your toes curl
Old 01-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #865
ElMartillo
I See Faces...

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
Never heard instant referred to as American... most strange - Wonder if it's a WWII hang-over?
So I asked my cousin about it, it was she and her mom whom I heard using the term. Although she was born in England, she lives in Italy and is married to an Italian. I was camping in her back yard (in Italy, not the UK) during last summer's moto trip when I overheard them using the term. She says it's more an Italian thing; a reference to an "Americano" (a long espresso and boiling water), the similarity being the addition of the water.
ElMartillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #866
TEWSTER2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillies View Post
Cigarettes and Tic Tacs.
TEWSTER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #867
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Instant oatmeal, cupOnoodles, spam, canned tuna {now they have it in a soft pack foil bag thing, very nice and comes with a packet of Mayo } cans of chili.

Alot of what I take can be heated with just hot water or right in the can or eaten cold. Things like canned soups or stews or chili can be opened and then dropped into the large jet boil types of cookers with just the right amount of water so not to cover the can and heat up, just remeber the can will be hot. Eat right from the can....I pack really light and I eat at diners or wherever I can when I can and save the packed food for days and night when I am out in the sticks.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #868
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Here is the tuna pouch with crackers, mayo, relish all in a small box.

http://starkist.com/product/lunch-go-chunk-light

Oh yeah, on the coffee front, foldgers and some others {stater brothers markets have an in house brand} make coffee bags. They are coffee, real ground coffee in a bag, like tea, that you let soak in hot water for a couple minutes and you have coffee, real coffee, not instant disolving grounds...yuck. The foldgers stuff is not super strong, and it is no Starbucks, but it is good real coffee. My buddy likes his coffee stronger than I do so he uses 2 bags per cup...we both love it for trail side morning coffee.

kellymac530 screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 12:56 PM
kellymac530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #869
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
So I asked my cousin about it, it was she and her mom whom I heard using the term. Although she was born in England, she lives in Italy and is married to an Italian. I was camping in her back yard (in Italy, not the UK) during last summer's moto trip when I overheard them using the term. She says it's more an Italian thing; a reference to an "Americano" (a long espresso and boiling water), the similarity being the addition of the water.
Well, that makes perfect sense.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #870
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post

Oh yeah, on the coffee front, foldgers and some others {stater brothers markets have an in house brand} make coffee bags. They are coffee, real ground coffee in a bag, like tea, that you let soak in hot water for a couple minutes and you have coffee, real coffee, not instant disolving grounds...yuck. The foldgers stuff is not super strong, and it is no Starbucks, but it is good real coffee. My buddy likes his coffee stronger than I do so he uses 2 bags per cup...we both love it for trail side morning coffee.
Starbucks VIA is MUCH better then the Folgers bags.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote