Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #826
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
The only unpaved forest roads I found this afternoon entering Michaux that weren't solid ice, were Irishtown Road and part of Kettle Springs Road off of PA Rt. 997 South, due to the dump trucks that haul sand in and out from Mount Cydonia and a short section of Rattlesnake Run Road running north off of Mentzer Gap Road. Perhaps exploring some dirt roads in MD, VA or WV on Saturday would be a better bet Jack!

JC
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #827
JaxObsessed OP
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 11,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
The only unpaved forest roads I found this afternoon entering Michaux that weren't solid ice, were Irishtown Road and part of Kettle Springs Road off of PA Rt. 997 South, due to the dump trucks that haul sand in and out from Mount Cydonia and a short section of Rattlesnake Run Road running north off of Mentzer Gap Road. Perhaps exploring some dirt roads in MD, VA or WV on Saturday would be a better bet Jack!

JC

Hmmmmm sounds familiar......

Back when Rattlesnake had a sign. Looked just great just off Mentzer Gap......

All fun and games til you can't stop on the slightest grade.

Just a little way up Rattlesnake, Just as you said:

Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang ..That thing is huge!!! Jax
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #828
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
Here's a link to a couple google maps of dirt roads in the Nova area: map 1 and map 2 Hope they're useful to anyone riding around there this weekend. I hope to head up to Michaux!
Sorry if this is too off topic, but how do you create maps like these?

I would love to make maps of all the dirt roads in western MD and southern PA. I have a lot of them mapped out the old school way... paper map and highlighter, but I would love to make them digital and share them on the forum... so, how do you do it in google maps? Thanks!
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #829
Dynamick
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Oddometer: 3,684
Hey Jack have you seen what SidecarJ had posted?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848636
Dynamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #830
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,282
And what's the method to convert the Google maps to a Basecamp database, so that local dirt roads are always a couple clicks away in the Zumo?

I ask because I'm lazy.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #831
FredRydr

Quote:
The only unpaved forest roads I found this afternoon entering Michaux that weren't solid ice....
Are you suggesting that you don't carry a bucket of sand and a shovel?!

Fred
Old 01-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #832
Dynamick
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Oddometer: 3,684
Garmin-Pros and Garmin-Niti-Witts, like myself (i can navigate home) should get together for a tech-day. I write this only because I have everything to gain

I say this because I am lazy... That and I learn nothing from those little "help" boxes.
Dynamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #833
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

I sure hope we can find a computer geek that rides, it would be great to have all of the unpaved roads in the entire state, not to mention the entire country available via GPS, etc, but I'm old school enough to be happy having a paper map, either township or county map, that I can plan rides with and then take it along with me!

I'd had previouly done searches for up to date versions of the PA State Type 10 maps like the 1991 paper ones I have, but I could never find a website or source, until a few minutes ago. This site has the Type 10 and Type 5 Boro And Township maps I've been using, along with 15 other types, here ya go;

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/...toMapsinPDFand DJVU

FredRydr If I still felt the need to continue riding on the ice covered forest roads, I have three quart jars full of ice screws from when I did just that back in the 70's and 80's, I installed them in knobbies by hand with a nut driver and super glue, they worked great on the ice, but they didn't work as well on the paved roads commuting to work, if you got a little throttle happy, they would throw off sparks and it wasn't unual to leave a few screws laying in the road behind you.

JC
Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #834
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

The Type 10 maps are county maps by the way! JC
Old 01-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #835
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,798
Quote:
I sure hope we can find a computer geek that rides, it would be great to have all of the unpaved roads in the entire state,

I have maps of most of PA stone roads, not including anything owned by state forest people.
I have it in Basecamp, Delorme Topo and as an overlay on both my Montana and PN40.

But I did it over 1 year ago, and can't really recall how I did it :(.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #836
FredRydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I have maps of most of PA stone roads, not including anything owned by state forest people.
I have it in Basecamp....
Are you willing to share? I'll compare it to what I've got to date. I've PMed you with my email address.

No use reinventing the wheel, as fun as that might be.

Fred
Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #837
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
Are you willing to share? I'll compare it to what I've got to date. I've PMed you with my email address.

No use reinventing the wheel, as fun as that might be.

Fred
I have a bunch of tracks for Md and Va as well. Working on the routes that SoPaRider put together for Michaux. I agree that it would be nice to get a master map of the region together.

dualsportmaps.com is really good for these kinds of things. Easy to export to basecamp, google earth, etc.
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #838
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStrom View Post
I have a bunch of tracks for Md and Va as well. Working on the routes that SoPaRider put together for Michaux. I agree that it would be nice to get a master map of the region together.

dualsportmaps.com is really good for these kinds of things. Easy to export to basecamp, google earth, etc.
When you say "working on SoPaRiders routes", are you trying to convert them from paper to GPS?
you will find several of them already done in the zip file below (and as a bonus, you get all 5 days of the Trans PA Trail)

w3wjr.rosenberry.us/tpat.zip
Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #839
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
When you say "working on SoPaRiders routes", are you trying to convert them from paper to GPS?
you will find several of them already done in the zip file below (and as a bonus, you get all 5 days of the Trans PA Trail)

w3wjr.rosenberry.us/tpat.zip
Thanks for that! I had started off with his routes, drawing them in on the computer just like you mention. Having done one, I think the better approach is to just go out and ride them and lay down a track!

Mike
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #840
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStrom View Post
Thanks for that! I had started off with his routes, drawing them in on the computer just like you mention. Having done one, I think the better approach is to just go out and ride them and lay down a track!

Mike
but nothing will duplicate the meticulous effort Jeff has put into his paper maps. Stuff like the Points of Intrest showing restraunts, bike shops, gas stations can't be duplicated very easy when converting it to electronic.