Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #1666
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiKyle View Post
Sorry, but "first world" doesn't really apply to American anymore. We barely manufacture anything these days. I looked around at christmas, and 95% of everything we had opened was NOT made in America.

Good stuff can, and does come out of china. It's not like they have a decree that says every item exported from China is garbage. It's just easier for companies to cut corners to turn profits, so sometimes things turn out junkier than our expectations. So far I think my Klim gear is top notch, regardless of the country of origin.

Iphones are made in China. I couldn't find many people that would say they are poorly made.
Quality wasn't my point, rather it was cost of production. Like most sports shoe manufacturers, Klim fails to pass along Chinese production savings to the customer.

The beauty of the market, and power to them, I guess.

But as a first world consumer I prefer not to support that particular business model whenever possible.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #1667
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,681
I don't disagree that the price deosn't seem to be in line for overseas production, but, as big as KLIM is, it's still pretty small potatoes, when it comes to series production . . . . it's not like they are churning out millions of Badlands jackets in Size Extra Chubby Jumbo everyday . . . . . .. .

Comparing them to Nike or the like isn't really apples to apples . . . . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #1668
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
I don't disagree that the price deosn't seem to be in line for overseas production, but, as big as KLIM is, it's still pretty small potatoes, when it comes to series production . . . . it's not like they are churning out millions of Badlands jackets in Size Extra Chubby Jumbo everyday . . . . . .. .

Comparing them to Nike or the like isn't really apples to apples . . . . . . .
It's entirely comparable. Differing only in scale.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #1669
GtiKyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Quality wasn't my point, rather it was cost of production. Like most sports shoe manufacturers, Klim fails to pass along Chinese production savings to the customer.

The beauty of the market, and power to them, I guess.

But as a first world consumer I prefer not to support that particular business model whenever possible.

I guess I don't understand NOT buying something because the company is using all the resources available to minimize their cost. It's acceptable to make a profit, but not a BIGGER profit by using cheaper production methods?

It's all economics, supply and demand. The price is dictated by what people are willing to pay, and what is available to the consumer. The competition is low, for high-end motorcycle gear. So their price dictates that, regardless of production cost/methodology.
GtiKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #1670
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
We manufacture more than any other country in the world

Quote:
....We barely manufacture anything these days. I looked around at christmas, and 95% of everything we had opened was NOT made in America......
Actually, America does manufacture a lot. More than we ever have. Not only the value of the products produced, but the amount. What is happening is due to modernization, automation and technology, the amount produced per worker has skyrocketed and we don't need as many workers. So there is an appearance that we don't manufacture as much.

Our manufacturing output has never been higher than it is right now, contrary to what most Americans think. In fact, the US manufactures even more than China does, or any other country in the world.

US manufacturing output

But manufacturing employment is down.

Because worker efficientcy is up.

And now, back to our regularly schedule broadcast:

Highway Dirtbikes hand guards. I've dropped my bike more times than I can ever care to count, and never broke a lever or bent my bars.
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #1671
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
I guess I don't understand NOT buying something because the company is using all the resources available to minimize their cost. It's acceptable to make a profit, but not a BIGGER profit by using cheaper production methods?

It's all economics, supply and demand. The price is dictated by what people are willing to pay, and what is available to the consumer. The competition is low, for high-end motorcycle gear. So their price dictates that, regardless of production cost/methodology.
1. I'll generally choose quality over marketing hype and/or fashion trends.

2. Given the choice I'll support a domestic producer, especially if I'm convinced their product is superior.

3. Supply/Demand and economic realities: I'd feel dumb knowingly overpaying for anything.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #1672
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Perhaps. But I think you may be underestimating by several orders of magnitude the cost of materials... materials that often aren't made in China or that comes with healthy licensing fees regardless of where made. Gore-tex is not Chinese. Neither is Cordura. Nor 3M scotchlite. Etc.

They may be making a killing by not passing on production savings, but I don't think so.

FWIW Klim gear is too expensive for me... I wear Aerostich gear.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #1673
DiamondLie
Banned

Oddometer: 464
Good points made on both sides of this argument. Having owned two high-dollar full suits from them, only to resell later at a loss due to dissatisfaction with the pieces, I do think KLIM could bring their gear prices down from the stratospheric levels they are currently at and still make money. No statistics to quote to prove so but c'mon...what do you think they are paying for labor in China to sew these fancy fabrics together?
DiamondLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #1674
marchyman
Cam Killer

The BMW gear I had with the fancy German (Schoeller?) fabrics that also cost a fortune (but not quite as much of a fortune as the Klim gear) was made in China. At least the Jacket was. The pants were made in Eastern Europe. Nice gear, well made, lots of little details, but.... the jacket main zipper had to be replaced within 3 years and the pants were completely shot in 5. My 'stich gear cost a touch less and lasts at least 2x as long.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #1675
Lornce
Lost In Place

In ten years the only issues I've had with Aerostich gear were crash related.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #1676
marchyman
Cam Killer

At 8 years I sent my roadcrafter in for some new velcro down the front and a repair to the back reflective flap that got damaged in a low side. It's one of the reasons I went back to Aerostich for two piece touring gear (Darien Light plus the bottoms from a Roadcrafter two piece suit) after trying some other gear.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #1677
HAYVIATOR
Don't be me dude.

Oddometer: 293
Condom
HAYVIATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #1678
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRtastic View Post
Condom
Only one? Isn't that generally a recurring multi-unit purchase?
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #1679
DiamondLie
Banned

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnslr View Post
Only one? Isn't that generally a recurring multi-unit purchase?

Does anyone here know enough about KLRtastic to make that determination?
DiamondLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #1680
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondLie View Post
Does anyone here know enough about KLRtastic to make that determination?
Nah -- I'm only projecting based on my usual buying patterns for said protective gear.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote