Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 286 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #1426
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
If you're going to tow something like that behind ya, why not just tow a pop up or regular camper trailer? LOL
A regular camper trailer is a lot bigger to store, and because of weight and aerodynamics, is a much bigger deal in terms of towing load.

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #1427
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 1,028
I just got an email AND a phone call from a real live human that these are now in limited production.

http://www.tealinternational.com/Tea...m_medium=email

I think they were mentioned early in this thread. Interesting concept, don't know that I would buy one though...
Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #1428
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,303
Well, as it turns out, I don't need to do any modifications to get the little bike on the pop up. I'm pretty happy and will be taking it to Death Valley for the first run with a bike on the front. Ooh, comfort camping. What's next?

I might put a plate on the under side of the hooks, but this is with zero modifications, so I'm pretty happy about that.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #1429
Hueychief
FNG

Oddometer: 75
longtallsally,
Nice setup!
I did the same thing with my KTM on the front deck of my E1.
Did you measure the tongue weight? I only checked the fit and didn't measure my tongue weight so I'm just curious.
The tiedown rings in the deck seemed a little sketchy also so I'm going to reinforce these in a way yet unknown. I also mounted a bike shoe and the wheels lined up perfectly on top of the frame rails so no issues with bike weight stressing the deck. I have a few more ideas and live in Minnesota so have all winter to get it done.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:11 AM   #1430
GerryL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Question

What's the tow rating on the Sprinter? We've got a 17' Casita and have been loving it, but I need an easy way to take a bike along too. I could surely fit one in a Sprinter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
Bwaahaaahaaaa!!!

Finally found a Sprinter.

I'm going to kit it out as a weekender/portable office. I can fit the DRZ inside and run over to the Nat'l Forest and have a big old box to sleep in if the weather gets nasty. And on longer trips I can haul my Casita.

GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:15 AM   #1431
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
Wow, what a work of art. I need a more civil version to pull behind my subie.
drm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #1432
Jurgen OP
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
If you're going to tow something like that behind ya, why not just tow a pop up or regular camper trailer? LOL
You can't sing La Traviata in a regular camper. It is against the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #1433
ducnek
Satisfied customer

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Well, as it turns out, I don't need to do any modifications to get the little bike on the pop up.
Man that's one super sweet set up you got there.

Looks like you could squeeze another smallish dual sport on there facing the opposite direction. Any idea what the tongue weight is? Looks like the camper is biased slightly toward the front, and adding the WR at around 250#, does it sag, or do you have heavy duty rear springs?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #1434
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
What's the tow rating on the Sprinter? We've got a 17' Casita and have been loving it, but I need an easy way to take a bike along too. I could surely fit one in a Sprinter.
IIRC, the single axle 2500 is rated at 5000# towing and the dually 3500 at 7500#. You shouldn't have any issues towing your 2500# Casita. I have a friend with the same setup and he says he gets 27 mpg not towing and 20-23 towing.

I just got mine and don't have my hitch installed yet.

Oh, mine is pre-'07 with the 5cyl diesel. The newer ones have a 6cyl but I don't think the towing cap has changed.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #1435
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpokes View Post
I just got an email AND a phone call from a real live human that these are now in limited production.

http://www.tealinternational.com/Tea...m_medium=email

I think they were mentioned early in this thread. Interesting concept, don't know that I would buy one though...
Neat - a little spendy for a kit though.

I will keep it in mind, but I might do better for my purposes just getting an S-280 shelter and adding insulation.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #1436
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek View Post
Man that's one super sweet set up you got there.

Looks like you could squeeze another smallish dual sport on there facing the opposite direction. Any idea what the tongue weight is? Looks like the camper is biased slightly toward the front, and adding the WR at around 250#, does it sag, or do you have heavy duty rear springs?
Thanks! I might be able to get a trials bike up there, but as everyone talks about, the tongue weight comes in to play and I think would be too much.

So to answer Huey, I've not measured it, but I'm sure it's in the 3 bills area and I've just got a Class 2 hitch, so it has to stay there.

I have a very mild spring lift on the Jeep that I only put on to compensate for the winch up front and even kept the stock tires (I'm a fuel economy nut as well). I've not driven around with the setup yet, but it really is the same as when I put the bike on the hitch carrier.

This is with the stock suspension:

In terms of better securing the bike on the tray, I also debated a channel and/or a wheel chock up front. After getting the bike up there and secured, I don't see a need. The WR weighs basically the same as a 500EXC (yes I want one as my next bike) so the results should be the same. What I mentioned I might do is put a plate on the underside of each of the tie down points. The tie down points I'm using have at least one bolt in the steel frame, so they are secure, but the second bolt is in the plaster board. So I'm going to add in a plate on the underside as a means of tying both into the steel frame and just as a precaution. There are plenty of thread left in the tie down bolts on the underside to do this, so it should be a simple process.

In terms of getting a second bike on the trailer (when the wife starts to ride again as the baby grows up a little) I'm thinking I'll add a receiver hitch to the rear of the camper. I'm still in the brainstorming phase of design, but have some mild to mildly wild ideas on how to do it. The real benefit of putting the second bike on the rear of the camper is the obvious weight distribution. The Jeep is rated to 3500 lbs and the camper is ~2300 lbs dry, so I should have enough for a full water load with both bikes and a couple other nick knacks. The family and dogs will go in the Jeep in total comfort, so I'm excited for future family trips.

longtallsally screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 11:43 AM
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #1437
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Thanks! I might be able to get a trials bike up there, but as everyone talks about, the tongue weight comes in to play and I think would be too much.
Can you extend the frame of the trailer out the back and weld on a "tray" to hold a second bike off the back of the trailer, in effect counter balancing the tongue weight?
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #1438
Hueychief
FNG

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Can you extend the frame of the trailer out the back and weld on a "tray" to hold a second bike off the back of the trailer, in effect counter balancing the tongue weight?
The frame of the E1 is boxed rectangular tubing which makes it easy to extend and very strong.
Quote:
I'm thinking I'll add a receiver hitch to the rear of the camper. I'm still in the brainstorming phase of design, but have some mild to mildly wild ideas on how to do it.
I built this tray to house misc stuff in between the rear frame rails and put a 2" receiver on it also for my plug in bicycle rack. With a minor modification it would also be able to hold another motorcycle with no problem.

and

Quote:
So to answer Huey, I've not measured it, but I'm sure it's in the 3 bills area and I've just got a Class 2 hitch, so it has to stay there.
I kinda thought that's where mine was also, but haven't had the chance to measure it yet.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #1439
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Yeah I think Huey has a more complex design than what I'm going to do.

So yes, the goal is to get the second bike on the rear to distribute weight. The 2 design methodologies I'm looking at are:

1- Get a receiver that was designed to be drilled into or bolted to an existing unibody or frame

2- Pull off the factory "bumper" and fabricate a fully boxed bumper with a receiver hitch welded into it.

Option 2 is a bit more work, but would be more stable and both are probably similar in cost.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #1440
GerryL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Thanks for that info. It sounds like it would work well then. i am going to have to research these a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
IIRC, the single axle 2500 is rated at 5000# towing and the dually 3500 at 7500#. You shouldn't have any issues towing your 2500# Casita. I have a friend with the same setup and he says he gets 27 mpg not towing and 20-23 towing.

I just got mine and don't have my hitch installed yet.

Oh, mine is pre-'07 with the 5cyl diesel. The newer ones have a 6cyl but I don't think the towing cap has changed.
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: