Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 03:06 AM   #7816
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
I figure mechanically it's almost a BMW F650 (whatever their thumper dual sport is, I find their model numbers pretty obscure) with similar strengths and weak points. So that gives us a starting point for evaluating it.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #7817
vicvegas
eager beaver

Oddometer: 186
You guys make some good points, but as far as i see it no matter what i buy my closest dealer is 7 or so hours away.
out of the four efi bikes i've had i've never had any kind of issues so that does'nt really worry me. I also don't see myself riding this bike thousands of kms from my home base, (but you never know) expensive? S.A.R is listing this bike on there website for around $8500, comming from the world of american cruisers looking at any new bike that retails under 10g's
seems exciting. As far as the KLR, i dunno. i did consider it but it looks to me like just not enough power and it would need to many upgrades to make it just right, suspension, seat, HP goodies...I dunno. i have lots of time to keep looking. I just wanted someone to tell me that S.A.R was a good dealer to work with really. thanks again for the input guys.
vicvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #7818
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
SAR is pretty new and a small operation, I don't know anyone that has dealt with them.

I don't know if Wildwood Sports would service the Husky (they are BMW dealer and BMW owns Husky now).
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #7819
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicvegas View Post
You guys make some good points, but as far as i see it no matter what i buy my closest dealer is 7 or so hours away.
out of the four efi bikes i've had i've never had any kind of issues so that does'nt really worry me. I also don't see myself riding this bike thousands of kms from my home base, (but you never know) expensive? S.A.R is listing this bike on there website for around $8500, comming from the world of american cruisers looking at any new bike that retails under 10g's
seems exciting. As far as the KLR, i dunno. i did consider it but it looks to me like just not enough power and it would need to many upgrades to make it just right, suspension, seat, HP goodies...I dunno. i have lots of time to keep looking. I just wanted someone to tell me that S.A.R was a good dealer to work with really. thanks again for the input guys.
Yup.... most ADVrs have a lot to say and get off track pretty quick...

Choose well and keep us in the loop...photo's are always nice.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #7820
stubblejumper

Oddometer: 193
Dual Sport

One of the things I would look at when deciding on buying a bike is the size of the fuel tank. Any dual sport is a good one in my opinion but its the fuel range thats important to me. IMS and Clark have larger tanks available and I would make sure there was one for my bike before I bought the bike. KLR`s have a large tank so thats not any problem. I think you can actually get a 6 gallon for the KLR. Around town/local area, sooner or later you will want to go further and fuel will be needed.
`11 Ram SLT Hemi 4x4
stubblejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #7821
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 590
Anyone have any experience usuing helmet speakers? Not the communication type, but the ones uniquely for music.
I'm not going all the way to NFLD without any music so before I get any nasty comments saying that's dangerous...

I would just prefer using the speakers as opposed to earbuds. Let me know what you guys think!

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #7822
jimtoe
Dream'n of a Dream

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
Anyone have any experience usuing helmet speakers? Not the communication type, but the ones uniquely for music.
I'm not going all the way to NFLD without any music so before I get any nasty comments saying that's dangerous...

I would just prefer using the speakers as opposed to earbuds. Let me know what you guys think!
No nasties from me. I prefer the earbuds over speakers as they help reduce road noise. I have a Bluetooth unit that hangs like a necklace or clips to a jacket. The earbuds are small and to not interfere with the helmet. The best part is I can skip songs pause and control volume all from the hanging necklace and leave my phone in the tank bag

The speakers just add to all the already loud travel noise.

Just my opinion.
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa "just for fun"
2009 Kawasaki Versys "Nothing but smiles"
jimtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #7823
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
Earbuds:

My favorite pair of earbuds are these, the foam blocks out a lot of noise, just roll it in your fingers before inserting it.

http://www.koss.com/en/products/head...Ear_Headphones

I have about 1600km of use with the SENA headset. Yes, they are used with a communicator, but I don't think there's any difference between these and music-only in-helmet speakers. It is VERY handy to have an all-in-one unit attached right to the helmet. No more fiddling with earbuds or wires...very handy. Sound quality is ok, you will miss bass though (common issue with every in-helmet speaker I've ever read). They were plenty loud enough, even with earplugs in, but I think the SENA has a built-in amp.

EDIT: I've used a similar bluetooth unit that JIMTOE refers too. Agreed, very handy to pause, REW, FF music. BUT...it's one more thing to charge, store, fuss with, keep waterproof, etc.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #7824
theshaneler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
i always have a set of Sony noise cancelling headphones in. while I'm in the city, i usually just have one in. they work incredibly well for drowning out the noise of riding.

i have tried speakers in the helmet, but like it has been said on here, it just adds to the noise from the road/bike/wind and it all just kind of blends together.

i have my music set up on my phone in playlists, so i usually don't need to worry about changing songs, as i enjoy all of them :p
theshaneler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #7825
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 590
Well boys, looks like im on the hunt for earbuds that have a volume/song control on the wire.

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #7826
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 596
Quote:

Mel, I have experience with both headphones and helmet speakers...

I definitely agree, you need music for the ride to Newfoundland...make sure to download a generous helping of Great Big Sea to get you in the mood...that said here's what works for me...

In the city, and at speeds up to 80 kph, I use the speakers in my helmet, at low volume, so that I can still hear the sound of my engine and the traffic around me. This works pretty well, as the music quells any anxiety I might feel when riding, while the low volume is a nod to safety concerns that have been expressed to me by my spousal unit...

once you hit full highway speeds however, the in-helmet speakers tend to be drowned out by the sound of wind in the helmet - and it is necessary to use ear buds in order to hear any music whatsoever. I have found a relatively inexpensive pair from Sony - which were sold in 2-packs at Costco last year - but do not have a volume/skip control on them....They stay in my ears pretty well, and that is important, as it can be very distracting if they slip out while you are riding (as has my ipod headset).

When Brian and I went to Newfoundland last year, the most valuable tool we had was our SENA headsets...particularly when I was riding in the lead through MOntreal, with a dying GPS to guide me. Brian was able to quickly direct me (from behind, and out of my line of sight) in order to ensure I made the right turn when I was clearly headed to the wrong one. Even though I could not reply (my microphone was broken), we were able to work our way east without too much difficulty.

I would strongly urge you and Chris to consider getting a pair of SENAs, and then ask Brian about what mods need to be made in order to make them sturdier. I know you may not be keen on the extra expense, but when you start riding through cities like Montreal (or, if you will, Chicago), you are going to want to be able to keep in touch in the event that you get separated by other vehicles (which is a strong possibility in both places). Given that B and I have ridden over 20,000 kms together during our last 3 long-distance rides, I feel qualified to offer this bit of unsolicited advice...

Hope this helps...

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...B7MsmZi3RGt4c2
Whyswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #7827
gslf
Everything Wheels

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Well boys, looks like im on the hunt for earbuds that have a volume/song control on the wire.
Did you hunt down some paint and paint anything yet?
gslf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #7828
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,569
The helmet speakers are great for commutation at lower speeds .... Behind the great big windshield of the Harley. In the wide open expanses at higher speeds ear buds are the way to go.

If you want to take it to the next level, get "EarFit" ear buds... Not cheap, but it's like sitting in a sound studio at all speeds... I found with over the counter ear buds, the sound level on my iPod would have to be set at 60 to 70%, with speakers at a 100% and with EarFits the volume never has to go above 30%.

There are apparently really quite helmets out there bring down the noise level substantially, but well over $600, so that's an area I would not be able to comment on.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #7829
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
It's official!!!

Next month I'll be moving to Calgary to continue my career with CP rail. I'm going to miss you winnipeg inmates especially the ones I have become very cose friends with. I will still be posting on this thread and hope that, when your in my new neighborhood that you come to visit.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #7830
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyrtcwka View Post
Next month I'll be moving to Calgary to continue my career with CP rail. I'm going to miss you winnipeg inmates especially the ones I have become very cose friends with. I will still be posting on this thread and hope that, when your in my new neighborhood that you come to visit.
Best of luck with your new posting.