Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt View Post
Closet Doctor, hi!

Is this the interview you meant?

Liz

">

Yes,this is the interview, between 3:00 and 3:30. I might have spoke to soon on next year, but he is saying he wants a Dakar win, and doesn't want to win a bunch of stages then have the aso change the rules on him for being to fast.
Closet Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #347
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,677
So according to Kellon's bio from the RDC quote he was "The first American motorcycle rider to win a stage in the Dakar". And if you believe that, then go ahead and believe everything you see and read about Robby too.

Robby has just learned (now that getting the overall race win got away from him so early in the event) that winning stages means nothing. I can't believe it took him this long.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #348
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
Dave -- you may be right, but talkin shizzit and rubbing your OWN nose in it doesn't do quite the same thing . . . . . .

Perhaps it's a generational thing, but I am more impressed by those who go out, do a great job, smile at the crowd, and don't act like they've invented a cure for cancer (not speaking specifically about RG, now, who certainly does his best) . . . . the dances in the end zone, the soccer players that run around like a toddler after scoring a goal. . . . mfor me, it's the sport, not the entertainment factor . . .

I'd LOVE to see RG on the podium . . . . and, without a couple of bad breaks, he might have done it this year.
yeah, if he steps in it, that just makes him look all the more human... always hate those guys who won't say shit even though they have a mouthful......

and it's definitely an 'old school' thing.... my buddy's an ex-olympic wrestler from back in the day, and hates all the athletes prancing around today.... although he was/is pretty much addicted to pro wrestling.... go figure?....

reality TV is here to stay.... RG could be a star.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #349
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,500
Just trying to be helpful ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
So according to Kellon's bio from the RDC quote he was "The first American motorcycle rider to win a stage in the Dakar". And if you believe that, then go ahead and believe everything you see and read about Robby too.

Strong et al, hi!

You point was discussed in the Planet Robby forum too. Here's a quote:

Quote:
Correction: Chuck Stearns was the first American to win a motorcycle stage in the Dakar Rally. He had 7 stage wins in 1985.

My guess is that who ever wrote up the bio was using a bit of marketing babble by sayind the "Dakar" rally, which as far as I know, is the name of the rally in South America since it's inception. Of course we all think of all of the rallies as the Paris to Dakar Rally.

So yes, as far as the Paris to Dakar Rallies, Kellon was certainly not the first American to win a stage, but perhaps, and I haven't done the research to prove or disprove this, Kellon was the first American to win in the South America Dakar rallies.

Point being, it looks like marketing babble to me.

Am I making sense?

Liz
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #350
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
reality TV is here to stay.... RG could be a star.....
Sadly, you are right . . .

but there's no crime in not watching ;-}
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #351
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Strong et al, hi!

You point was discussed in the Planet Robby forum too. Here's a quote:

My guess is that who ever wrote up the bio was using a bit of marketing babble by sayind the "Dakar" rally, which as far as I know, is the name of the rally in South America since it's inception. Of course we all think of all of the rallies as the Paris to Dakar Rally.

So yes, as far as the Paris to Dakar Rallies, Kellon was certainly not the first American to win a stage, but perhaps, and I haven't done the research to prove or disprove this, Kellon was the first American to win in the South America Dakar rallies.

Point being, it looks like marketing babble to me.

Am I making sense?

Liz
Sorry, I don't follow statistics and I have not desire to go over to the Robby Gordon leg humping forums (too many Kool-aid drinkers). Anything written about Robby Gordon or his team needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Robby is prolly better at self-promotion than he is at driving. Few on Robby's planet would know anything about Dakar until Robby started racing it. Just wait until a couple of cars in the top 10 DNF, you'll get a press release how Robby fights his way into the TOP 10!!!! Spin, spin, spin.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #352
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:

I'm pretty sure Walch never rode the South American Dakar.

Nothing against Kellon at all, I hear he's a great person and a very accomplished rider, but -if memory serves me right- I think he "only" won the final "parade" stage in the 2005 or 2006 Dakar.

Again, I'm in no position to criticize any rider rider who ever started in the Dakar, it's just my head full of useless rally trivia speaking.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #353
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,265
In the coverage today, he clearly stated that their standing was because of his mistake on stage 4.

He owned it.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #354
cvlighthouse
keep it in your pants!

Oddometer: 824
Robby Gordon quote:

We'd be third place in the rally

Quote:
Today was a good special for us. Obviously we didn't win the special but we finished second, which is a good thing. I'm still mad at myself from day four. If we hadn't done that, we'd be third place in the rally right now. The first couple of mistakes could have been enough, but the last one was kind of the one that twisted the sword that was inside of us.
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/us/s...uotes-all.html
....look for a blue Samurai with a crazy gringo holding a big #167 sign! *No animals were harmed during the making of this post...
cvlighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #355
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,265
They quoted his tv statement cleanly.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #356
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
I'm pretty sure Walch never rode the South American Dakar.

Nothing against Kellon at all, I hear he's a great person and a very accomplished rider, but -if memory serves me right- I think he "only" won the final "parade" stage in the 2005 or 2006 Dakar.

Again, I'm in no position to criticize any rider rider who ever started in the Dakar, it's just my head full of useless rally trivia speaking.
I'm pretty sure he hasn't raced a South American Dakar on a scooter. He was the co-driver in the 2nd Hummmmbuggy with Ronn Bailey in Africa.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #357
klatelm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Sorry, I don't follow statistics and I have not desire to go over to the Robby Gordon leg humping forums (too many Kool-aid drinkers). Anything written about Robby Gordon or his team needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Robby is prolly better at self-promotion than he is at driving. Few on Robby's planet would know anything about Dakar until Robby started racing it. Just wait until a couple of cars in the top 10 DNF, you'll get a press release how Robby fights his way into the TOP 10!!!! Spin, spin, spin.

with all due respect YOU ARE IN THE RUBBY GORDON LEG HUMPING FORUM. did rubby fire you or something ?
klatelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #358
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by klatelm View Post
with all due respect YOU ARE IN THE RUBBY GORDON LEG HUMPING FORUM. did rubby fire you or something ?
I think he is just cranky in general, ain't nothing wrong with that because he seems to know his shit.
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #359
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,585
Can anyone point me to the cockpit extended version video of the flip over?? I've lost it?

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #360
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Can anyone point me to the cockpit extended version video of the flip over?? I've lost it?
Ha Ha...You said Cockpit
http://www.planetrobby.com/photo/201...context=latest

Enjoy
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote