Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #31
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I beg to differ. That is a good road. Definitely in my top 2 or 3 in CA. But, the Cherohala Skyway, from Robbinsville, NC, to Tellico Plains, TN, is, in my opinion, way better. If for no other reason than because it's 50 miles of good, clean, twisty pavement (with no side roads, driveways, generally no deer, and very light traffic).

You're kidding, right? I mean Cherohala is pretty and all, but definitely not a great road for technical stuff.

And the bummer for the OP is that he was merely minutes from this:

And whoever made that list is either on doobage, or trying to do what the rest of us do: keep the great roads a secret. There are literally thousands of miles of great roads right in the Bay Area. Personally, I think you're nuts to ride fast up in the Berzerkely Hills- too much Five O. The same goes for the North Bay.

The Black Hills crush Cherohala, and I'd say there are a bunch more cool roads in TN than that one (without even mentioning The Gap). But for me, the best roads in the States are here in Kalifornistan.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:41 AM   #32
DiamondLie OP
Banned

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post

You're kidding, right? I mean Cherohala is pretty and all, but definitely not a great road for technical stuff.

And the bummer for the OP is that he was merely minutes from this:

And whoever made that list is either on doobage, or trying to do what the rest of us do: keep the great roads a secret. There are literally thousands of miles of great roads right in the Bay Area. Personally, I think you're nuts to ride fast up in the Berzerkely Hills- too much Five O. The same goes for the North Bay.

The Black Hills crush Cherohala, and I'd say there are a bunch more cool roads in TN than that one (without even mentioning The Gap). But for me, the best roads in the States are here in Kalifornistan.
I feel sorry for you If your definition of a good riding road is simply that it is "technical." Maybe you're too young to get it but I have found over 30 years of riding that I appreciate a lot more about riding than just finding the twistiest tarmac. Engineering of the road, scenery, pavement quality, absence of traffic and cops just to name a few.

I figure I have rode pretty much every good major section in NorCal over two separate week-long trips (credit to the Destination Highways series books) and have a picture in exactly the same location as yours. Yes, that's a good ride but I still like C-ville better. This is ALL subjective though anyway, isn't it?
DiamondLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #33
DiamondLie OP
Banned

Overhead shot...

http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/6579939/full

This road has more than it's share of curves!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #34
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondLie View Post
This is ALL subjective though anyway, isn't it?
You hit the nail on the head right there.

To me, yes, technical is better, but part of the technical needs to be a variety of surfaces, conditions, pavement (if there is any), turn type, etc. Of course the absence of cops and traffic are at the top of anyone's list I'd think.

And in my 20+ years of riding, I have found my perfect road to be Sonora Pass. Tight turns, medium sweepers, camber changes, views parallel to anywhere else on the planet (IMO of course), minimal traffiic, etc. It has it all.

In riding all over the Alps while we lived in Germany, riding through Baja, and circumnavigating the US, that is the road I have found to hit all the sensory buttons. Ride like a juvenile for a bit. Slow down and enjoy the view for a bit. Enjoy perfect pavement for a bit. Enjoy the level of focus necessary for sketch conditions for a bit. It's all there.

And forgive me, but I "read in a book" about what some great roads were (thus why I hit Cherohala and some in Yellow Stone) and was grossly disappointed. My version of finding a good road is to look on a map for the squiggliest of lines. Yes that is a technical term.

Either way, I've enjoyed reading others' responses to the thread and reminiscing about rides I've done, so all in all good stuff!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #35
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
To me, yes, technical is better, but part of the technical needs to be a variety of surfaces, conditions, pavement (if there is any), turn type, etc. Of course the absence of cops and traffic are at the top of anyone's list I'd think.

And in my 20+ years of riding, I have found my perfect road to be Sonora Pass. Tight turns, medium sweepers, camber changes, views parallel to anywhere else on the planet (IMO of course), minimal traffiic, etc. It has it all.
Sonora Pass is so much fun...

And a great way to connect to 108 (Sonora Pass) is to come up 120 from the junction with 49, enjoy the rapid twisties up the new (or old) Priest Grade, go on through Groveland, and cut back over to 108 on the Cherry Lake and Cottonwood roads.

IMO, of course
Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #36
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Sonora Pass is so much fun...

And a great way to connect to 108 (Sonora Pass) is to come up 120 from the junction with 49, enjoy the rapid twisties up the new (or old) Priest Grade, go on through Groveland, and cut back over to 108 on the Cherry Lake and Cottonwood roads.

IMO, of course
Never done any of that...
Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #37
DiamondLie OP
Banned

Got some critics here but who else that's providing their take has even ridden the Cecilville Rd.?