ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #751
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydrxrvr View Post
Well, as I am a full time rv person,....somewhat homeless dualsport snowbird dweller,....was there in your view plenty of space for a 25 foot trailer and truck at the furnace creek camp ground? I plan to stay in D.V. 2 weeks, and meet up with one or two of you inmates for a all day loop.-----in about ten days. I ride a DR 650 and am a experienced, senior, rider (slower now?) but am relentless in getting it done.
Always nice to meet another fulltime RVer!! I'm up here in Oregon too, but not retired or anything (working for the state in downtown Salem)... live fulltime in a 5th wheel Toyhauler. It's made the trip to DV a couple of times. Would love to head down there but fuel costs just too high right now. :)

Also on a DR650. When you get back up here, PM me if you want some ride company.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #752
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Well, as I am a full time rv person,....somewhat homeless dualsport snowbird dweller,....was there in your view plenty of space for a 25 foot trailer and truck at the furnace creek camp ground? I plan to stay in D.V. 2 weeks, and meet up with one or two of you inmates for a all day loop.-----in about ten days. I ride a DR 650 and am a experienced, senior, rider (slower now?) but am relentless in getting it done.
There was plenty of space in the RV section when I left, but I am not sure of their RV size limits. As I said it was full on New Years Eve. Getting up early and staying warm is the trick. As soon as I hit 3-4000 ft it was around 40F. And it got dark pretty quick.

Petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #753
rockydrxrvr
Multi Meter Meathead

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Always nice to meet another fulltime RVer!! I'm up here in Oregon too, but not retired or anything (working for the state in downtown Salem)... live fulltime in a 5th wheel Toyhauler. It's made the trip to DV a couple of times. Would love to head down there but fuel costs just too high right now. :)

Also on a DR650. When you get back up here, PM me if you want some ride company.

Rob
Just retired, but job liked my dependablity, I gave my position with bennies up. So boss negoiated with me to try to put in another year as Summer Relief Only as a win/win for the firm and this driver, Somewhat twisted, but I have winters off now, only to comeback for a job in the summer. (1st year)
I have to budget $1,000 each year for fuel cost alone just to do the D.V. and AZ. thing yearly. Sold my house, furniture, posessions and v-strom are gone. (My return parking and living is worked out.)
A used Ford 7.3 diesel, and an 'Outback' toyhauler, both came to $22k, so let's give it a shot..... grab a few more bargain brass rings.

Death Valley brings looks of furrowed eyebrows and questions of my sanity to dual sport ride alone in the American Outback, but if you have the attraction to the lonesome places, vistas forever, and adventure spirit to keep a Senior Rider
on the foot pegs, you understand. (Ah,....that Sargent Seat and Heated Grips make us Smile.) And if my laptop works at Furnace Creek, I will Number One, first try to partner up with a fellow rider.

Yep, when back up north not working in the summer let's meet for a half way ADV. loop.
rockydrxrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #754
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Quote:
Death Valley brings looks of furrowed eyebrows and questions of my sanity to dual sport ride alone in the American Outback, but if you have the attraction to the lonesome places, vistas forever, and adventure spirit.

Here, here.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #755
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
This is my favorite map of Death Valley, short of the actual Nat Geo paper one. http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisi...%20Roads-2.pdf

It shows Lippencott and lots of other trails. I keep it in my iPhone and iPad for easy reference (note: it won't display using the Adobe PDF reader; you'll need something like GoodReader for it).

Rob

Thanks Rob, thats just great!

I downloaded it and then emailed it to myself, saved and opened in iBooks on my iPad mini. It displays fine with just iOS6.
The Mini fits in the map window in my tank bag, this is perfect for looking around a map without having to get out a paper map.

I have no excuse for being lost, as much as I try to get LOST.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #756
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Thanks Rob, thats just great!

I downloaded it and then emailed it to myself, saved and opened in iBooks on my iPad mini. It displays fine with just iOS6.
The Mini fits in the map window in my tank bag, this is perfect for looking around a map without having to get out a paper map.

I have no excuse for being lost, as much as I try to get LOST.
Awesome!! That validates my plan to get a Mini when the next-gen one comes out. :)

Rob
Old 01-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #757
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
You sound like an interesting fellow, Nancy and I are going to be in DV for about a week starting this Tuesday, if you're around then you're more than welcome to join us riding. We wont be staying in any of the campgrounds, but I'm sure we'll be passing through Furnace Creek. There is cell service in that area and internet at the resort there. You can PM me for my contact info if you're interested.

Cheers

Finn

I was just in Furnace Creek and found the WiFi is no longer FREE Gotta do the stupid credit card thing for it now... Unless you get the password from someone in a room. That may be included in the room rate.

On the other hand, the WiFi in Panamint Springs worked better than it has in a long time for me! They also had some firewood in the store... $$ for it though.

Panamint is plumbing in a water stream and pond system in the campground. The idea is to provide more water for the vegetation and they have plenty of overflow from the Darwin water fall ...
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #758
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
I was just in Furnace Creek and found the WiFi is no longer FREE Gotta do the stupid credit card thing for it now... Unless you get the password from someone in a room. That may be included in the room rate.

On the other hand, the WiFi in Panamint Springs worked better than it has in a long time for me! They also had some firewood in the store... $$ for it though.

Panamint is plumbing in a water stream and pond system in the campground. The idea is to provide more water for the vegetation and they have plenty of overflow from the Darwin water fall ...
Glad to see him doing some improvements! I do wish it was realistic to get a (much) faster 'net connection there. Such a neat place though.

Rob
Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #759
Sliverpicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
D.v.

I`m reading all these post`s about the area and --thats it---I`m loading up for the next few days and headed south !

Got the bike broke-in , gear is in order with attitude is in place.

Would be good to hook up with another Northwet rider to share the expense`s . It`s freaking cold up here right now at 37 degrees and raining -so DV sounds ----well let`s just say ----Nice !

Got the hauler -----------Thinkin about arriving early for the gathering at the Death Valley daze ! Stay duration is not limited.

Options are open for a road trip
Sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #760
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan690 View Post
I`m reading all these post`s about the area and --thats it---I`m loading up for the next few days and headed south !

Got the bike broke-in , gear is in order with attitude is in place.

Would be good to hook up with another Northwet rider to share the expense`s . It`s freaking cold up here right now at 37 degrees and raining -so DV sounds ----well let`s just say ----Nice !

Got the hauler -----------Thinkin about arriving early for the gathering at the Death Valley daze ! Stay duration is not limited.

Options are open for a road trip

It's going to be 37Ί in Furnace Creek tonight, one of the warmest places in DV, though it's not raining. Don't leave your warm clothes at home thinking you're going to the hottest place on earth or something...

Might see you there.

Cheers

Finn

LostRider.com
Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #761
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Death Valley Area Temps

1/10/13:

We have had some cold weather so far this winter in California.

Hunter Mountain is one of the highest dirt road passes in Death Valley and it is typically closed this time of year because of snow and ice. The south slope of South Pass in the Saline Valley usually has two sections of ice about 100 yards long each. Coming up the ice is much harder than going down it.

Steele Pass, The Escape Route (Manly Pass), Mengle Pass, Lippeicott Mine Road and Echo Pass are usually free of snow and ice all year. Pleasant Canyon, Middle Park and South Park, near Ballarat, can have snow and ice this time of year.

Even though Death Valley is one of the hottest places in the lower 48 states, it can be very cold this time of year. Furnace Creek and the hot springs, Warm Springs in Saline Valley, are probably the warmest destinations this time of year. However, to get to the hot springs you will have to go over South Pass, 6,000 ft., or North Pass, 7,000 ft. and possibly closed because of snow, or Lippincott Mine Road to get there. South Pass, Hunter Mtn. Road and North Pass will all get snow this time of year when a storm blows in and they don't have road crews to keep any of them open this time of year.

North Pass has been graded on an inconsistent basis during the fall and spring but I am not aware of any plowing of snow this time of year. Correct me if I am wrong.

Here is the 10 day forecast for three of the DV areas you might ride to or from:

Furnace Creek
- Highs will range from 50-70 degrees.
- Lows will range from 27-42 degrees.

Beatty, NV
- HIghs will range from 37-57 degrees
- Lows will range from 18-33 degrees

Lone Pine
- HIghs will range from 39-59 degrees
- Lows will range from 15-34 degrees

Trona
- HIghs will range from 41-62 degrees
- Lows will range from 21-37 degrees

It is light about 7:00 a.m. and dark about 5:00 p.m.

The coldest time of the day is 6:00 - 7:00 a.m.
The warmest time of the day is 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.

Should you be riding alone and get stuck or injured this time of year, be prepared to spend one or more nights in very cold conditions.

The storm heading to Central California this week is forecasted to drop snow down to 2,000 feet and we will see very cold nights for the next 6 days.

I just came back from an 8 day trip north through Oregon and Washington and spent 5 days in Bellingham, WA. Loved the whole trip and got used to the constant mist in WA after about 4 days. It actually wasn't any colder in Oregon or Washington than it has been in Central California recently. The temperature variation is much different in the summer. Bellingham was alot of fun and looks like a great place to live.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #762
LeDakaR!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
1/10/13:

We have had some cold weather so far this winter in California.

Hunter Mountain is one of the highest dirt road passes in Death Valley and it is typically closed this time of year because of snow and ice. The south slope of South Pass in the Saline Valley usually has two sections of ice about 100 yards long each. Coming up the ice is much harder than going down it.
yeah just don't take Hunter this winter....

www.route66moto.com
moto rental/sales and tours, location et vente moto, import-export
LeDakaR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #763
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDakaR! View Post
yeah just don't take Hunter this winter....

Just finished your ride report. Good job. I know how much time it takes to put together a report like that.

Congrats on the great pics and video.

I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit before I head back to DV for more fun than it should be legal to have.

Glad you had a good time in my favorite place to ride.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #764
Lost Rider
Roadie

A quick DV update from panamint while nancy takes a shower.....

Saline valley road passable, rougher than last year and a little better condition then when I was here a few weeks ago. Plenty of rocks and a few washouts rocky sections on the north side of south pass.
South Pass is no problem, minimal snow and ice.
Saline valley between lippencott road and warm springs is about the same as last year, some sand/washboards but no major damage.
Not many folks at warm springs, had a dip in upper springs with just us.
Steel pass is typical loose rocky two track with a few steep steps to go down at the peak coming into eureka dunes. No snow.

Eureka dunes of course offers some deep sand on the road, was near freezing in the morning with heavy winds. Beautiful place to wake up.

Big pine / DV road is under construction near crankshaft crossing with about 5 miles freshly grated and very loose deep gravel. I'd imagine it will get packed down with time.

Race track valley road is typical packed gravel with some wash boards.

Most of Lippencott pass is about the same, but there's a hundred or so yard section that seems a little rougher than last year with some new big rocks sticking out making for some rough steps to climb if you were going up.

Was cold and windy last night, 18 degrees this morning at boxcar cabin, about 4000'.

Premium gas at panamint is $6.28 gallon, firewood is $12 a bundle.

I'll update more once we get home.

Get Lost!

-Finn

Mobile ADV Fix Complete

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 11:07 AM
Old 01-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #765
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,310
The wifi at Panamint must be significantly better now than it was last February when I was there. I could barely send one text-only email. Forget about getting on ADVRider or uploading any pictures!
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote