Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #8596
doyle OP
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
No, it is likely that the stator fails with heat, and repairs itself with a little bit of cooling. For a while, but it will get worse!

Fuel smell may just be high elevation/ no spark.

But we're on pretty thin ice here, diagnosing from that tiny amount of info. Does Chavo have a stator with him?
Thank you. I just sent him all that information. Appreciated!

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #8597
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
*Calama-Salta video*
now that looks familiar.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #8598
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
No sooner than someone mentions Porsche on F5 and Eurosport do a retrospective on "The Porsche Years"
Didn't spot any mention of Fabrizio Meoni today though - a shame

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #8599
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
hummmm

RAINGATE somewhere

#Dakar2013 @TomyMaffei confirma que la primera parte de la etapa de mañana, ya está suspendida por las lluvias que caen en Salta.

# Dakar2013 @ TomyMaffei confirms that the first part of tomorrow's stage, is suspended by rain falling in Salta.
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #8600
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,918
Laughed when he put two pairs of gloves on and then had to get the guy to do up his helmet strap, I lost count how many times I did the same thing going through the high country on the APC Rally this year, Doh

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #8601
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
I need to come up to speed with this BS.

gearbox = technical difficulties.
15P3 RECLASSIFICATION
For safety reasons, at the end of each Stage, the International Jury will automatically reposition for the starting order of the next day’s Stage, the A.S.O. Elite Drivers and/or the first 15 overall; if these Drivers happened to be badly classified due to mechanical problems. In no case can such a repositioned bike start in front of a bike appearing among the first 15 cars in the start list of the Stage.

edit; the list of elites is interesting..explains why some good riders don't get a free pass

ferals5 screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 04:12 PM
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #8602
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,742
I'd say raingate as well except he already took the penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
hummmm

RAINGATE somewhere

#Dakar2013 @TomyMaffei confirma que la primera parte de la etapa de mañana, ya está suspendida por las lluvias que caen en Salta.

# Dakar2013 @ TomyMaffei confirms that the first part of tomorrow's stage, is suspended by rain falling in Salta.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #8603
Robb Mc
what?

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Thank you. I just sent him all that information. Appreciated!
Tell him to steal a charged car battery and stick it in his camelback. And turn off his lights .
Robb Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #8604
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,806
One more thought before I get back to work.

For all our joking about stadium Dakar and favoritism and the rest, the star of the motorcycle show currently has greasy hands and is working on his own rig, putting a motor in to stay in the chase tomorrow.

It is impossible to imagine that in any other top-tier form of racing. Ryan Villipoto or James Stewart putting in a motor between motos? Yeah, right, it's hard to picture them turning a suspension clicker!

My belief, and my experience, is that the Dakar adventure, while torn around the edges, remains vibrant inside, for most people, most of the time. I dislike the short stages, I abhor the favoritism, I hate the constant pushing of the rules and flexibility toward teams with $$... but I still love the race and what it brings out in people. There AND here.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #8605
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,778
For those on the ground having problems with the altitude, you can buy Sorojchi pills in any farmacia. This stuff works, it's a mixture of aspirin, small amount of caffeine, and some other harmless ingredient I can't recall at the moment, and it's cheap. If you're feeling like shit this stuff will fix you up.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #8606
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,942
webventure stage 7 (maybe 6?)

webventure.com.br photos up from stage 7. re-posted for your convenience over in the Dakar 2013 Media Thread.

(note: since there were aparently no bike photos from stage 6, some of these may have been from stage 6)

#18 - JAKUB PRZYGONSKI (POL)

#81 - EDUARDO ALAN (ARG)

#168 - LYNDON POSKITT (GBR)

#253 - RAFAL SONIK (POL)

#253 - RAFAL SONIK (POL)

#339 - SZYMON RUTA (POL) / LAURENT LICHTLEUCHTER (FRA)

#500 - GERARD DE ROOY (NLD) / TOM COLSOUL (BEL) / DAREK RODEWALD (NLD)

#500 - GERARD DE ROOY (NLD) / TOM COLSOUL (BEL) / DAREK RODEWALD (NLD)

tldr; re-posted for your convenience over in the Dakar 2013 Media Thread.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #8607
drgunther
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
TV schedule for january 12 & 13

Scoured the schedules and this is what I've concluded (after having read through the schedules for all three french channels twice =):

12:th
@ 17:40 (UTC/GMT) - France 4 (Le Dakar)
@ 18:15 (UTC/GMT) - Eurosport 2 (Live - Interviews)
@ 22:00 (UTC/GMT) - Eurosport 1 (Highlights)

13:th
@ 01:05 (UTC/GMT) - France 2 (Bivouac)

Considering calling it a night (living in UTC+1)...
drgunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #8608
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlighthouse View Post
DAKAR UPDATE FROM THE RIDERS' BIVOUAC

http://www.ktm.com/us/news-events/da...s-bivouac.html
Quote:
The rally has entered the 'marathon stage' where riders can have no outside assistance from mechanics or support crews in either Friday's Stage Seven or Saturday's long Stage Eight. But it is possible for them to work on the bikes themselves and it is within regulations to switch engines between two of the team's competing bikes. Doringer said Despres, Kurt Caselli and Ruben Faria were working together to remove the engine while the other riders in the KTM factory teams were working on one of the support bikes in preparation for making the switch.
One thing I don't get is how can they have the tools, oil, etc to swap engines. The first post quoting Pal mentioned that would be impossible for them to swap engines, even if they wanted to.
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #8609
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,299
Dakar 2013, 7th Stage – Calama -Salta
802 km stage (500 miles) including 218 km of special test
Botturi in tenth place after the first part of the marathon.

The 218 km first part of the Dakar 2013’s only marathon stage, won’t be remembered by the riders as a particularly special one. The stage presented no particular difficulties other than the dust and a navigation-heavy first part, and saw the riders approach the race with a calm and prudent attitude. The special test, at between 3000 and 3400 metres sea level, proved to be a test in itself. Alessandro Botturi was the best of the Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain riders, taking tenth place, which could prove crucial ahead of tomorrow’s second marathon leg.

Joan Barreda and Paulo Goncalves, who set off from behind had to put up with an enormous amount of dust throughout the day. Both chose not to take risks. Joan finished a dust-filled day with very little overtaking, in twenty-first place, and Paulo came in twenty-sixth. Jordi Viladoms had a bad day at the office, when during the transfer he stopped at the Lama pass border crossing some 4500 metres above sea level, where for reasons of fatigue was forced to seek aid from a medical car, and was given oxygen. Jordi managed to restart and compete in the special. Matt Fish got back to the bivouac this morning after working on his bike in the neutralization zone yesterday, and headed out on the second special in the dark. Matt didn’t throw in the towel as he realises how important it’s going to be for his team-mates to have his support over the next few days.

Tonight the riders will camp out in Cachi, without the mechanics, and will thus have to do any work on their TE449RRs by Speedbrain themselves. They set off again tomorrow at 05.50 for another long stage, which is expected to be a complicated one.

The seventh stage of the Dakar has been marred by the death of the young French rider, Thomas Bourgin, 25, involved in a fatal accident during the long transfer. The Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain sends condolences to the family.

The second leg of the marathon from Salta to San Miguel de Tucuman is predicted to be the toughest stage of the entire Dakar 2013. A total of 739km (461 miles) including 492 special test, which will take the form of two separate parts. After the special there will be a 228 km transfer to the camp where the riders have their rest day on the 13th January.

Alessandro Botturi: “It was a fairly calm stage, even if it was very long. I didn’t take any risks and didn’t push too much, as we were at such a high altitude and it wouldn’t have been right to overdo things. Starting out tenth suits me fine for tomorrow’s stage as it’s an important one and I want to attack.”

Paulo Goncalves: “I tried to get past the slower riders who started ahead of me but it was really tricky. It was just too dusty and dangerous. I managed to overtake three riders, but then I decided it was better not to take any chances, and so I sat in behind the group.“

Joan Barreda: “It was impossible to overtake today in the special, because there really was so much dust. I took it easy as my hand was causing me problems and I didn’t want to mess everything up before tomorrow’s special. This evening I will take something for the swelling, because I want to be in good shape for tomorrow’s important stage.”

Result Stage 7:
1. Caselli (USA, KTM) 1h51m31s
2. Lopez (CHL, KTM) +00:01:23
3. Pain (FRA, Yamaha) +00:01:23
4. Verhoeven (NLD, Yamaha) +00:01:30
5. Faria (PRT, KTM) +00:02:30
10. Alessandro Botturi (ITA, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:04:39
21. Joan Barreda (ESP, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:09:21
26. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:10:17
44. Matt Fish (AUS, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:21:11

Overall Standings after seven stages:
1. Pain (FRA, Yamaha) 17h28m17s
2. Lopez (CHL, KTM) +00:06:06
3. Casteu (FRA, Yamaha) +00:06:37
4. Faria (PRT, KTM) +00:09:42
5. Despres (FRA, KTM) +00:14:07
9. Alessandro Botturi (ITA, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:30:18
25. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +01:38:08
44. Joan Barreda (ESP, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +03:47:30
139. Matt Fish (AUS, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +22:41:04
Old 01-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #8610
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
One more thought before I get back to work.

For all our joking about stadium Dakar and favoritism and the rest, the star of the motorcycle show currently has greasy hands and is working on his own rig, putting a motor in to stay in the chase tomorrow.

It is impossible to imagine that in any other top-tier form of racing. Ryan Villipoto or James Stewart putting in a motor between motos? Yeah, right, it's hard to picture them turning a suspension clicker!

My belief, and my experience, is that the Dakar adventure, while torn around the edges, remains vibrant inside, for most people, most of the time. I dislike the short stages, I abhor the favoritism, I hate the constant pushing of the rules and flexibility toward teams with $$... but I still love the race and what it brings out in people. There AND here.
Changing engines in the dirt is one of those weird romantic fantasies i have. Its pretty amazing to do that and keep going.