User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #8611
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Jordi Viladoms @ JordiViladoms
Jordi seems that he has been able to solve mechanical problems and it starts moving ... som-hi Jordi!!
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #8612
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlighthouse View Post
Pics or it didn't happen!

There's a "Classic" category in the Sonangol Africa Eco Race, in which the UMM of the old days took part; a Honda 600 XLM bike and two Porsche 911s, one of which won the rally in the eighties with René Metge at the wheel!

and that's just a taster
Old 01-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #8613
DasMatti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Does anyone know if the stator just fails completely. Sorry for the questions I'm trying to drive home while scanning for info and texting it to Chavo.
Hi Doyle,

I had a very similiar problem couple of month ago.
Couldn't figure out where the problem was.

Held the plug against the frame - had a spark!
Measured all the currents - all in spec!

I brought the bike to a mechanikc. He told me the stator was completly cracked. At low revs it helt together and let the motor idle. At higher revs, or longer idling-times the bike stalled.
New stator - everything works again.

Probably that'll help you.

Greetings and good luck.
DasMatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #8614
Jack Attack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
For those on the ground having problems with the altitude, you can buy Sorojchi pills in any farmacia. This stuff works, it's a mixture of aspirin, small amount of caffeine, and some other harmless ingredient I can't recall at the moment, and it's cheap. If you're feeling like shit this stuff will fix you up.

Be careful!

I had an erection that lasted more than 4 hours after taking those.
Jack Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #8615
Mickldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Finally caught up from the back of the field.

Just one thought I hadn't seen 205'd to death yet. Cyril had been riding conservatively to preserve his bike and let natural attrition take care of all of the hot heads before he attacked for the win later in the race. How is that working out for him now?

He was 14' (IIRC) back before Trannygate and now he has lost another 15 odd minutes plus the 15' penalty for the engine change plus the potential 45' second engine change penalty. His competition will lose 15' if they change motors on the rest day but he is still way behind. I know the rally has a long way to go yet and he has the alien skills but it looks like he has a big job ahead of him.

Big props to him though for getting his hands dirty and swapping the engines himself.

RIP Andy, Meoni, Kemal, Thomas and all of the other racers who have lost their lives in this great race.

Ride on, gonna change my evil ways
Ride on, one of these days
One of these days
Mickldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #8616
Spark Plug
Low on compression

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Carb. Heavy fuel smell after stalling.
Most likely a venting issue.

Or if it's a FCR, could be the float needle not closing proper. Does it leak out the carb vent when this happens?
Old 01-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #8617
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
from Faria Facebook

DAKAR 2013-7 STAGE - 01/11/2013
CALAMA - JUMP

Ruben Faria takes the 4th place overall!

The 7th Step who called Calama to Salta had a total of 806Km of which 220km of timed special

With the result of yesterday Ruben Faria was second to leave for special timed but soon stopped for two minutes waiting for Cyril Despres in order to continue to do their role Waterbearer but soon everything changed because Despres had a problem in gearbox of his KTM having asked Ruben to continue to race because nothing could be done to solve the problem. Thereafter Ruben imposed a strong pace managing to recover part of the lost time with the problem of Despres.

Delayed a bit this press to try to give more information on the strategy to Step tomorrow but nothing is set in concrete, what we can say is that the interests of the KTM / Red Bull will be first and will be the basis strategy for tomorrow.

Ruben Faria: "Despite my result obviously I can not be happy because the problem that Cyril had everything will be different from now. Today was a very quick step and easy to navigate. I had to stop to help but could do nothing Cyril and he gave me the green light to attack and tear. From that moment it was always recovering. Despite the altitude my KTM this perfect! Great bike! A hug for everyone "
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #8618
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,552
maybe some leaves the locals chew for altitude sickness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
For those on the ground having problems with the altitude, you can buy Sorojchi pills in any farmacia. This stuff works, it's a mixture of aspirin, small amount of caffeine, and some other harmless ingredient I can't recall at the moment, and it's cheap. If you're feeling like shit this stuff will fix you up.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #8619
GearedUp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
One thing I don't get is how can they have the tools, oil, etc to swap engines. The first post quoting Pal mentioned that would be impossible for them to swap engines, even if they wanted to.
I thought there were lubricants available from Elf much the same as the normal Bivouac if the rider wanted to change their own oil.
GearedUp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #8620
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Quote:
Thank you. I just sent him all that information. Appreciated!
how much more amazing can this thread get?

info & tips to a competitor directly from the firehouse. Careful, ASO might just ban us next year
Old 01-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #8621
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKIN View Post
Nice...I was just snapping some screen shots to share. A new definition of tired looking at the video. To bad Jan is out.
Do we know why he is out? Looked like maybe a broken hand?
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #8622
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_orange View Post
the posts about meoni got me thinking and i remembered, with more than a tinge of sadness, one of the characters of last year who is also sadly no longer with us: malle moto kemal merkit. tragically killed in the transanatolia rally earlier in the year..i seem to recall (and i could be wrong, imagining it or just plain stupid) that there was a photo of him and si pavey from last year (or maybe the year before) that embodied the dakar ethos...
Yip, with all these engine changes and malle moto typ stuff in the works, I cant help but think of Kemals smiling face missing from this Dakar...
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #8623
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearedUp View Post
I thought there were lubricants available from Elf much the same as the normal Bivouac if the rider wanted to change their own oil.
as long as there are liquids available (coolant, clutch fluid etc) an engine change is usually a matter of having 13mm wrenches IIRC
Old 01-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #8624
drgunther
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
maybe some leaves the locals chew for altitude sickness?
I believe that those (coca) leaves are only legal to purchase in Bolivia, atleast that's what I was told when I was there two years ago.
drgunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #8625
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Yip, with all these engine changes and malle moto typ stuff in the works, I cant help but think of Kemals smiling face missing from this Dakar...
2011 with Si. 2012 he orchestrated a 3 man Turkish Dakar team, with Selçuk and Selankyir (sp?)... RIP Kemal, we miss you