Old 01-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #8701
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Cyril's FB:

Dakar 2013 – Stage 7 – Update
Finally, after looked at the various options and after consulting KTM’s rally technicians, Cyril Despres has decided to do an engine swap with Polish Orlen Team rider Marek Dabrowski. To undertake such a task at the marathon bivouac with no outside assistance, no spare parts and only limited tools wasn’t an easy decision. Fortunately Cyril is a trained mechanic and was able to count on the support and help of all the other KTM factory riders, not to mention the enormous generosity of the Orlen Team.

If they pull y\this off they've earned big admiration from me - Cyril and esp. polish guys
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #8702
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post

If they pull this off they've earned big admiration from me - Cyril and esp. polish guys
I think it was a no-brainer... Cyril needs new engine. Check available options. Find least flogged motor. Promise them something ridiculous they can't refuse. Get on with replacing motor (about a zillion times easier than splitting cases and trying to repair gearbox issue)

I'm just glad that the spirit of the Dakar lives
Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #8703
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Caselli Red Bull blog, today:

The first two days I really had no idea what to expect but still managed to get through it okay. Now its starting to click a little bit better in terms of finding my way out on the stage. I’m still finding it tough and its taking me a while to read where I am.

For the guys around me in this KTM Factory Team its second nature for them and they can do these things a lot quicker than me. Yesterday and today I just took some time to stop and read everything to see where I was at before getting going again.

The bikes in this race are travelling pretty darn fast and at the same time you’re trying to read your notes. Its very easy to hit a rock and crash so safety wise I just want to look after myself and learn as much as I can. Its tough because I have to be patient with myself. I want to go faster and push but I need to hold myself back while I go through this learning process.

It gets better all the time and the next few days should be good. Its still early in the race but I would like to be getting better times but also I’m happy that I’m staying in the race. I’m just cruising and when I get this navigating under control I think I’ll start riding a bit harder.

The atmosphere between the riders is kind of relaxed on the stage because you’re not just racing each other but also racing together against the course and the conditions. It’s the not the same intense and close racing you get in motocross or even the desert races that I do in the States. At the Dakar if you pass the guy in front of you need to be sure that you know where you’re going.

Interesting fact: Caselli is the first rookie to win a stage since Faria in 2006, where he won a stage on home soil

Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #8704
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardracer View Post
because I'm a girl...

'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #8705
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
I think it was a no-brainer... Cyril needs new engine. Check available options. Find least flogged motor. Promise them something ridiculous they can't refuse. Get on with replacing motor (about a zillion times easier than splitting cases and trying to repair gearbox issue)

I'm just glad that the spirit of the Dakar lives
I think we may find the Orlen team actually offerred Cyril the engine, not the other way around.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #8706
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,100

© Marcelo Maragni/Red Bull Content Pool The first two days I really had no idea what to expect but still managed to get through it okay. Now its starting to click a little bit better in terms of finding my way out on the stage. I’m still finding it tough and its taking me a while to read where I am.
For the guys around me in this KTM Factory Team its second nature for them and they can do these things a lot quicker than me. Yesterday and today I just took some time to stop and read everything to see where I was at before getting going again.
The bikes in this race are travelling pretty darn fast and at the same time you’re trying to read your notes. Its very easy to hit a rock and crash so safety wise I just want to look after myself and learn as much as I can. Its tough because I have to be patient with myself. I want to go faster and push but I need to hold myself back while I go through this learning process.
It gets better all the time and the next few days should be good. Its still early in the race but I would like to be getting better times but also I’m happy that I’m staying in the race. I’m just cruising and when I get this navigating under control I think I’ll start riding a bit harder.
The atmosphere between the riders is kind of relaxed on the stage because you’re not just racing each other but also racing together against the course and the conditions. It’s the not the same intense and close racing you get in motocross or even the desert races that I do in the States. At the Dakar if you pass the guy in front of you need to be sure that you know where you’re going.

http://www.redbull.com/en/motorsport...1/kurt-caselli

Go Curt!
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #8707
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Well Eurosport hadn't caught up with Cyril's engine swap with Dobrowski!

Another coup for the F5'ers

And did anyone notice that all the shots of the Rothman's sponsored Porsches were all reversed?

No doubt to stop us from seeing all that evil tobacco advertising
No I did but thats really observant!

//rant on

It really pi**es me off that producers can be so freaking politically correct.. What do they think we are? Gullible? Anything like like this and other nanny state stuff really drives me nuts. Its why I could never live in a first world country.

//rant off. I feel better now - thanks.

On with the program
Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #8708
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Shorten the eighth stage of the Dakar as a result of climatic conditions of the territory argentino. The decision was made to organize the stage due to heavy rains that have hit the city of Salta, where the day starts.

Salta. - The Dakar organization decided to cut the first part of the eighth stage of the rally, between the towns of Salta in Argentina and San Miguel de Tucuman, due to heavy rains that have fallen in the last few hours.

Organizers sources told to Efe, that the route starts at km 288 of the stage, right after a stretch neutralized.

Thus, the stage will have a total of 183 kilometers. Then, the drivers will have 228 kilometers ahead of liaison to San Miguel de Tucuman, where there will be the rest day.

For the truck category, the stage has been paid in full.
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #8709
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Quote:
I think we may find the Orlen team actually offerred Cyril the engine, not the other way around.
For no assurance of renumeration / compensation? I'm sure some pretty hard behind-the -curtains bargaining happened

Never trust a press release
Old 01-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #8710
ararat
Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
For no assurance of renumeration / compensation? I'm sure some pretty hard behind-the -curtains bargaining happened

Never trust a press release
Yeah, i am wondering what KTM promised. could be a very lucrative deal. free bikes i hope for the team next year.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #8711
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
All that talking about Philly reminds me of the time i was there.
About 10 years ago, i was visiting my sister on Long Island. She was working as an AuPair for a family. One day i rented a car and we went down to Philly to see liberty bell and so on. We didn´t have a map or a gps with us, only some directions given to us by my sisters host family. A girl from sweden also joined us.
So we came to Philly, it was getting dark and we followed a sign into the city center, looking for a hotel. We didn´t see one, and when we left the center, we were in some kind of ghetto? Ok, i pulled into a gas station to ask for directions for a nice hotel and saw a guy standing there next to the road. Imagine, black guy, badly dressed, one eye missing or bad injured (didn´t really look close) and i pull up next to him, roll down my window and ask for a nice hotel in my posh rental car. The girls begged me to drive away, but i asked him and he gave me some directions back into the city center. Still the girls were freaking out beggin me to leave. Anyway, when i thanked him, he pulled his hand out like he wants some money from me. i looked around, couldn´t find my brief case, so i told my sister to give me some money. She gave me some coins which i handed over to him and drove off. A minute later we realized that i gave him no money, but tokens for a gaming machine. guess he was pissed? But, we found a very nice Hotel and the receptionist even told us that he has been in austria for a long time. And i had one of the best breakfasts in my whole live the next morning.

now, back to the dakar.
Attached Images

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #8712
Resist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
No I did but thats really observant!

//rant on

It really pi**es me off that producers can be so freaking politically correct.. What do they think we are? Gullible? Anything like like this and other nanny state stuff really drives me nuts. Its why I could never live in a first world country.

//rant off. I feel better now - thanks.

On with the program
Nah man, it's the law. Producers aren't being politically correct, they're avoiding massive fines in multiple jurisdictions. It's shit, but don't blame the tv people. At least they found a solution! Before someone came up with the "flip" the image idea most people just buried the footage period.
Having worked in television I can tell you that most old footage is not recalled for that exact reason.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #8713
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
Nah man, it's the law. Producers aren't being politically correct, they're avoiding massive fines in multiple jurisdictions. It's shit, but don't blame the tv people. At least they found a solution! Before someone came up with the "flip" the image idea most people just buried the footage period.
Having worked in television I can tell you that most old footage is not recalled for that exact reason.
Fuck it, I'm buying a pack of Rothman's tomorrow if for nothing else than as an homage to the Porsches

G'night all, catch you tomorrow
Old 01-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #8714
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
Shorten the eighth stage of the Dakar as a result of climatic conditions of the territory argentino. The decision was made to organize the stage due to heavy rains that have hit the city of Salta, where the day starts.

Salta. - The Dakar organization decided to cut the first part of the eighth stage of the rally, between the towns of Salta in Argentina and San Miguel de Tucuman, due to heavy rains that have fallen in the last few hours.

Organizers sources told to Efe, that the route starts at km 288 of the stage, right after a stretch neutralized.

Thus, the stage will have a total of 183 kilometers. Then, the drivers will have 228 kilometers ahead of liaison to San Miguel de Tucuman, where there will be the rest day.

For the truck category, the stage has been paid in full.
Didn't similar thing happen last year on marathon stage due to snow?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #8715
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Damn I got a 15min time penalty this morning and had to watch the You Tube copyright video and do an exam, even with non descript titles big brother is definately an F5 Flatbiller, hold on, there is a moustascioud french dude at the door, sacre bleu, I have to pay for a KTM engine as my penance.
Well it was well worth it - I enjoyed the ones I had a chance to see - Thanks for that!!!

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!
svizzerams is offline   Reply With Quote