Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Just found out from KTM microfiches that the 2003 has a completely different wire harness, and ECU and God know what else...
Guess have to source 2002 to be ok
The 2003 has the same stator and the same coil, just a different CDI and a different cam... The wires from the stator and pickup coil should plug directly into your 2002 harness... The 2003 SM appears to run the same cam as the 03 Adventure so your existing CDI should be good enough to do the job, meaning the swap should be a plug n play...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #17
640 Armageddon OP
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,814
Problem is tha the existing CDI is not the same as the 2003 SM, the cable pluging system I mean.
Have a look below to see what I mean

That is the 2002 Adv

And that is the 2003 Supermoto

The CDI plugs are different. So I would have to buy his CDI as well. That would not be a problem. But then again I saw that the harness in the 2003 is different, it has a fuse box under the seat, and I have no idea how many other differences are there.
Would it be better to buy the loom as well ?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,821
Quote:
Problem is tha the existing CDI is not the same as the 2003 SM, the cable pluging system I mean.
Have a look below to see what I mean

That is the 2002 Adv

And that is the 2003 Supermoto

The CDI plugs are different. So I would have to buy his CDI as well. That would not be a problem. But then again I saw that the harness in the 2003 is different, it has a fuse box under the seat, and I have no idea how many other differences are there.
Would it be better to buy the loom as well ?
Don't bother with his CDI, just use the one that is already on your bike...

Think about it and look at your above diagrams: Part #9 and part #10 on both engines are the same, and have the same plugs... Those plugs are where the replacement engine will tie into your electrical, no need to change any wiring, plugs or CDI....
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #19
640 Armageddon OP
-oo-

You are indeed very very right. I owe you big time.
Check pm's
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #20
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,791
640 Armageddon,
Good for you!!!
What carbureter and exhaust/muffler system are you using?
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #21
640 Armageddon OP
-oo-

Hi Bill,

At the moment it is all stock, I was thinking of an fcr and an Acra but not sure. I am basically not sure about the fuel consumption. At the moment the bike could easily do 500 km on pavement and 400-450 gravel. It should not change much but don't know
Wanted to change the bike big time before but got busy with building the Navigation Tower and that took some fare amount of time. I am in search of the 660 rear tanks. Was going for a proper Rallye bike

D.

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 02:04 AM Reason: spelling
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #22
Alik
viertaKTMotor *****

Oddometer: 225
640 Armageddon, hi there!

sorry to hear about your bike. The same thing happened to Tseta's bike and another friend of mine too (check the pictures from the rebuild at http://motoazja.pl/naprawa-ktm-lc4-640-adventure.html). So this exact bearing is prone to wear and should be changed when doing a full rebuild anyway.
People do change just one side of the engine (I know it is a little unorthodox) but it involves more work (you have to shim the crankshaft again) and knowledge while doing a rebuild.
If you won't will do it yourself then it means money. Easy and cheap solution is to buy a decent state 2003 engine (could be from a SM as you already suggested), do at least a decent revision (top end, examine the barrel and the piston, measure the wear, then decide if and what to change) and ride on.
It is not hard to do - and there are some very helpfull and knowledgeable inmates here which are willing to help.
Take care. You can do it.
Alik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #23
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alik View Post
640 Armageddon, hi there!

sorry to hear about your bike. The same thing happened to Tseta's bike and another friend of mine too (check the pictures from the rebuild at http://motoazja.pl/naprawa-ktm-lc4-640-adventure.html). So this exact bearing is prone to wear and should be changed when doing a full rebuild anyway.
People do change just one side of the engine (I know it is a little unorthodox) but it involves more work (you have to shim the crankshaft again) and knowledge while doing a rebuild.
If you won't will do it yourself then it means money. Easy and cheap solution is to buy a decent state 2003 engine (could be from a SM as you already suggested), do at least a decent revision (top end, examine the barrel and the piston, measure the wear, then decide if and what to change) and ride on.
It is not hard to do - and there are some very helpfull and knowledgeable inmates here which are willing to help.
Take care. You can do it.

From the photos it doesn't look like there's any way to inspect the bearing either. I guess you gotta keep an eye out for swarf in the oil. Surprising that the needle bearing failed before the ball bearing.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:48 AM   #24
640 Armageddon OP
-oo-

Cheers for the replies

I think the only way to inspect the bearing would be to take the left cover out, but a dial gauge on the rotor and check for eccentricity. If you see the dial gauge moving around you should be able to pick that up.

I am waiting for the engine, the supplier said that he may be able to find a from a newer model (04 or 05 ... ) The newer the better because I think they will be in a better condition. As you suggested working from top to bottom would be the best approach but I really want to take this thing to bits and restore everything that can cause such a large damage, I am planning to do the Serres Rally at the end of August with the bike and I really cannot afford another engine damage during a race. I mean, it can happen, but I want to minimize the chances of it happening...

D.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #25
thanosktm620
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Can you tell us the name of the Mechanic....just in case.

How can we avoid such "KabOOM"?
thanosktm620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #26
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
When you had your engine rebuilt did you tell the mech to go trough the transmission too ?

You sure the bearing was worn out allready back when the rebuilt was made ?

Shit happens... not the mechanics fault IMO.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #27
640 Armageddon OP
-oo-

The engine was rebuilt 5000kms ago, indeed I told my mechanic to check everything that needs to be checked for the bike's mileage (65k at the time). He knows ktm very well but he lately developed an attitude ''I will fix it only when it breaks''... he kept for example telling me that my other bike, a berg, will die and that I have to start saving money. As an engineer I asked him ' what will fail and why ' . The answer was ' because it will ' . I contacted Taffy a well known person in Husaberg. Org and he provided me with a list of things to change. I changed them. The valves were past their service life.... Just waiting to break....
I know he did not change it because I do not have it on the parts that he gave me. And if he did, I really do not believe that the service life of a bearing is 5k....

Shit happens and we move forward, that's what I'll do

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 12:11 AM
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #28
Alik
viertaKTMotor *****

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
The engine was rebuilt 5000kms ago, indeed I told my mechanic to check everything that needs to be checked for the bike's mileage (65k at the time). He knows ktm very well but he lately developed an attitude ''I will fix it only when it breaks''... he kept for example telling me that my other bike, a berg, will die and that I have to start saving money. As an engineer I asked him ' what will fail and why ' . The answer was ' because it will ' . I contacted Taffy a well known person in Husaberg. Org and he provided me with a list of things to change. I changed them. The valves were past their service life.... Just waiting to break....
I know he did not change it because I do not have it on the parts that he gave me. And if he did, I really do not believe that the service life of a bearing is 5k....

Shit happens and we move forward, that's what I'll do
Well, that is an attitude which's not very "compatible" with the KTM bikes - as Bill writes in the signature - high performance = high maintenance
I would say You have to change your mechanic for a more reasonable one. If You need any help in preparing your bike just ask here - people around surely will help you out of the trouble.
Alik is offline   Reply With Quote