User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #91
Scampi6000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Thanks man
The twin is a mile eating machine. About 60k on her now and just a fuel pump and reg/rec to replace around 20k ago.

Quick question I asked over on the Call all XR600 thread there a few days back. Have you had any experience using a small lead acid battery on the XR6 as opposed to those 6 cell NiMh ones you see installed thrown in above the airbox when adding DC? The lead acid just have a better lifespan and dont mind the constant charging.

Thanks
Scampi6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #92
XRider OP
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,250
I use 12v 1.2Ah lead acid batterys on all my XRs and they fit perfectly under the seat of the 600. They are the same type that are used in alarm systems so they're pretty easy to find, just about any electronics store will have them. And you are correct, they are much better than the NiCad packs that come with most DSKs because being topped up all the time kills the NiCads.

I'm still going to post that schematic for you, I've just been short of free time lately.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
KTM300EXC Plated & So cool
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #93
Scampi6000
Adventurer

Perfect.
Thanks XRider. Just what I was hoping to use! Don't stress on the schematic. When ever suits. I'm up to my ears with work as it is anyway so shed time is at a premium these days!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:11 AM   #94
Scampi6000
Adventurer

Hey XRider,

Had any luck over the festive period to look at that schematic? After getting a renewed urge to get the XR6 finished after buying a few more final bits and pieces! Best purchase was an Arrow Dakar Replica can I found on ebay from Italy for a nice price
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #95
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,785
Nice build. I admire your dedication.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:19 AM   #96
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr LC8 View Post
Hi,

So which ratio of compression you would go for?
Would I need a different carburettor?

Thanks

Nic
My 2 sense:

I have a 86 XR250R. The motor is stock except for a 280 kit, ported head, jetting, K&N filter & a Supertrap muller. Cam is stock. I got great power & reliability out of this combo. Motor would rev forever.

I always wondered how much of this power came from the head porting and just letting the thing breathe. If one element in the flow process is resticted all the displacement, exhaust, cam mods will be handcuffed. Gotta look at the total flow throughout intake/cylinder/exhaust cycle.

I had the head ported instead of going with a cam because I looked at the porting as "free horsepower" instead of going with a cam/springs that tend to stress the valvetrain and risk losing reliability.

If I were to change anything now it would be the carb for the same reasons noted above.

Not saying it works on the 250s big brother but if reliability is a major goal...

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #97
XRider OP
Almost Lifelike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
My 2 sense:

I have a 86 XR250R. The motor is stock except for a 280 kit, ported head, jetting, K&N filter & a Supertrap muller. Cam is stock. I got great power & reliability out of this combo. Motor would rev forever.

I always wondered how much of this power came from the head porting and just letting the thing breathe. If one element in the flow process is resticted all the displacement, exhaust, cam mods will be handcuffed. Gotta look at the total flow throughout intake/cylinder/exhaust cycle.

I had the head ported instead of going with a cam because I looked at the porting as "free horsepower" instead of going with a cam/springs that tend to stress the valvetrain and risk losing reliability.

If I were to change anything now it would be the carb for the same reasons noted above.

Not saying it works on the 250s big brother but if reliability is a major goal...

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Pete.

The cool thing about doing a port and polish on the head is that it improves the performance across the board. Everything you do, i.e. tuned exhaust, hi-comp piston, etc. It will make everything (aftermarket) perform to it's highest potential.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #98
boingk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRider View Post
I'd like take this opertunity to invite anyone with an XR600 to showcase it on this thread and tell us what you've done. I always like seeing something I haven't thought of so even if it's just a new way to safty wire the foot pegs, I want to see it. I'm just nuts about the big Honda and if you're reading this you must be too. So it's show time guys, what do ya' got!
Here we go mate, after selling it to a mate who had it for two years my XR is back in my hands. These are mostly old photos but its still the same bike, now running Kenda Carsbad's and fresh road rego. Woo!

Mods include Stage 1 Hotcam (no problems yet in almost 1000 miles), Unifilter large plenum intake and filter kit, CDI with advanced ignition curve (2~5 degrees throughout range) and Tutoro chain oiler to keep the chain happy during road miles.

She's sporting Acerbis handguards, 23L tank and bash plate, as well as Ballards disc guard, frame guards and rear rack.

With large US Military food tray rack, no longer fitted:

Back in my ownership!

Turoto chain oiler:

Large plenum intake kit:

The powerhouse!

Trailer lamp rear light and Ballards rack:

Cheers - boingk
Old 09-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #99
XRider OP
Almost Lifelike

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Here we go mate, after selling it to a mate who had it for two years my XR is back in my hands. These are mostly old photos but its still the same bike, now running Kenda Carsbad's and fresh road rego. Woo!

Mods include Stage 1 Hotcam (no problems yet in almost 1000 miles), Unifilter large plenum intake and filter kit, CDI with advanced ignition curve (2~5 degrees throughout range) and Tutoro chain oiler to keep the chain happy during road miles.

She's sporting Acerbis handguards, 23L tank and bash plate, as well as Ballards disc guard, frame guards and rear rack.

With large US Military food tray rack, no longer fitted:

Back in my ownership!

Turoto chain oiler:

Large plenum intake kit:

The powerhouse!

Trailer lamp rear light and Ballards rack:

Cheers - boingk

Nice, very nice. As I've said to many a lady, love the rack!

So cool you were able to get your old bike back.

We need new pics of your Big 6! You're going to fix that left rear blinker, right? ;)

XRider screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 10:45 PM
Old 09-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #100
XRider OP
Almost Lifelike

I should add, it's been a couple of years since I started this thread and this is still my favorite bike!

XRs forever!
Old 09-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #101
Big Tall Bastard
Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 294
Your XR 628

I'm probably going to do the piston and rings in my 87 XR 600R this winter. How is the seat of the pants feel with the 628? I'm trying to decide if its worth going up to that or end up around an honest 600cc.
Thanks
Old 09-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #102
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRider View Post
I should add, it's been a couple of years since I started this thread and this is still my favorite bike!

XRs forever!
what a coincidence, after a couple of years its still one of my favourites too
will be good to keep tabs and see how the longevity and reliability of your mods hold up over time, but some how being an XR they might just out live the thread
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #103
XRider OP
Almost Lifelike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tall Bastard View Post
I'm probably going to do the piston and rings in my 87 XR 600R this winter. How is the seat of the pants feel with the 628? I'm trying to decide if its worth going up to that or end up around an honest 600cc.
Thanks

I did most of the engine work at the same time so it's hard to say how much of the performance gain was from the piston. Which ever piston you choose I highly recommend bumping up the compression ratio.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:58 AM   #104
boingk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket exhaust for my XR600R, and perhaps some new pictures to update my thread, too

What's your recommendation for exhaust system - obviously something in the FMF range, but Powercore, Q4, Ti4...? Its all got me a bit baffled. I just want something to increase the stock power and have a decent exhaust note without shattering windows or sending me deaf.

Would that be a Q4, Powercore, or Ti, or... something else?

Cheers - boingk
Old 09-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #105
XRider OP
Almost Lifelike

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket exhaust for my XR600R, and perhaps some new pictures to update my thread, too

What's your recommendation for exhaust system - obviously something in the FMF range, but Powercore, Q4, Ti4...? Its all got me a bit baffled. I just want something to increase the stock power and have a decent exhaust note without shattering windows or sending me deaf.

Would that be a Q4, Powercore, or Ti, or... something else?

Cheers - boingk
My favorite (cost effective) slip-on is the FMF PowerCore 4. Not too loud, not too expensive, and nice performance. The FMF Ti4 is the titanium version that is on my 628, simply cool in every way but costs twice as much. I lucked out, I got mine in the bargain bin at my local shop after the guy who ordered it didn't pick it up. The FMF Q4 is not worth the money if you ask me. It's lighter than the stocker but it just doesn't deliver the goods. The Pro-Circuit T4 is an excellent super-moto pipe as it delivers better performance at the top end. My 650R Sumo has a PS T4.

So here it is (imho), PowerCore4 for dual sport use, Pro-Circuit T4 for super-moto. And I'm going to need pics of your Big 6!