ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 03:44 AM   #121
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,859
I always use the 60fps when shooting, IMO 30fps looses too much sharpness at the front end and 30FPS slomo sucks, 60 is pretty sweet. That being said, when it comes time to do the final render, it's a preference thing, YT doesn't do very well with 1080P, allot of starts and stops as the player buffers. You will see the difference in the final product when the vid is shot in 60FPS, yes it does discard some of the info but since it's got more to start with the final product is still noticably sharper. I like to stabilize my vids which really effects the picture's clarity, the sharpness of the higher frame rates really helps with that. IMO the H3 takes it up a notch to where it's acceptable to stabilize and still get a good picture. If someone isn't planning on stabilizing then the higher resolutions aren't going to make as much of a difference.

I attribute much of the improvment in the comparison pictures above to the new lens.

With my H2 720/60 was the best widescreen 60fps mode so I used that. When the H3 came out with 1080P/60 I jumped on it, better right, higher res at a higher frame rate. I found out what J_T was referring to, the files are huge, almost unworkable with YT, that 10min vid the cap was from is over a gig, too large. Because the cam hasn't performed as advertised and I'm still dealing with them over it I haven't finalized how I'll use it mode-wise. I suspect I'll end up using the 720/120fps for riding videos.

IMO the H2 is an awesome camera, does exactly what it's supposed to do, great battery life, decent picture. The H3 is capable of a much better picture at the expense of battery life. Mine currently has an issue where it stops filming a odd times so it's not currently my cam of choice. I already know the batterys won't work for my kind of filming which is turn it on and film 2hrs at a whack, capture everything. I plan on coming up with a remote battery which is a huge PITA but since it's picture and sound is stellar I'll put up with it. I'm not trying to put down the GP cams, I'm a big fan of the H2 cams. But...if users think they can mount it on their helmet and use the remote to selectively capture video thoughout the day it's going to disappoint them, the batterys won't last for that kind of use. Just being turned on it uses the batterys at a pretty good clip, almost as fast as continiously filming.

When GP went from the H2 to the H3's much higher resolutions the rendering process (workflow) became a much bigger deal. Some folks got away with directly uploading clips straight off the cam to YT, I don't think that possible at the higher modes. To do a good job with a video shot at higher resolutions the user is going to spend some significant time rendering, possibly converting and uploading. CPU power is really critical if you plan to take advantage of that higher res, esp protune. I've got a 6 core I7 extreme edit processor and it's still taxed with a protune video. IMO for our use the H3B in it's higher modes is probably overkill which is disappointing to me because I was pretty excited over this cam. I may change my mind after I get to use it more and develop a workflow that works for my use.

RideFreak screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 03:58 AM
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #122
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,774
Thanks for saying that RideFreak!

Sending electrons with my electron sending device...

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #123
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
Has anyone had luck with the GoPro app and they're smart phone connection connectivity?
I can't seem to get mine to connect

Sending electrons with my electron sending device...

Yah so no cameras found…in the wireless controls I have selected the gopro app and then with the blue light flashing launch the gopro app on my device, it tells me searching for a wi-fi gopro then after a bit it says no cameras connected so what gives…
I have deleted and installed the app twice to no avail

Old 01-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #124
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Yah so no cameras found…in the wireless controls I have selected the gopro app and then with the blue light flashing launch the gopro app on my device, it tells me searching for a wi-fi gopro then after a bit it says no cameras connected so what gives…
I have deleted and installed the app twice to no avail

Did you update the camera through gopro website? I had to do that before mine would work.....
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #125
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Did you update the camera through gopro website? I had to do that before mine would work.....

Yes i figured that was the problem and so I went and did that the was told the camera software is up to date...still no worky

Old 01-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #126
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Yes i figured that was the problem and so I went and did that the was told the camera software is up to date...still no worky
Maybe a dumb question, but is the Wifi turned on for the phone. If so try going into the setting and manually selecting the gopro network. I think there may even have been a password the first time I connected.

Sorry by no means do I know what Im talking about but it may be worth a try
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #127
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,079
Quote:
Maybe a dumb question, but is the Wifi turned on for the phone. If so try going into the setting and manually selecting the gopro network. I think there may even have been a password the first time I connected.

That's typically folks problem.. you first have to go into you phone's wifi settings and specifically connect the phone directly to the wifi network being broadcast by the gopro (this will include entering either a default password, or one you set via the gopro desktop software), then go into the gopro app and have it "find" the gopro.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR

thump_co screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 04:22 PM
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #128
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
That's typically folks problem.. you first have to go into you phone's wifi settings and specifically connect the phone directly to the wifi network being broadcast by the gopro (this will include entering either a default password, or one you set via the gopro desktop software), then go into the gopro app and have it "find" the gopro.
Both of these guys are 6' 140# tech geeks so I'd listen to them!
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #129
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylsmkj View Post
Both of these guys are 6' 140# tech geeks so I'd listen to them!
That's only with my thickest glasses and pocket protector on. Otherwise I'm 135# even.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #130
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
That's only with my thickest glasses and pocket protector on. Otherwise I'm 135# even.

same procedure here with IOS, recently sent the cam back and got an Android phone, so when it gets back I get to figure it out again. One thing though, it takes a sec to make a selection from the remote effect the cam, if you hit a button and hit then it again quickly cause you don't see anything happening, it can lock up the control system.

How's your cams working? I got one of the first available and it wasn't quite right, Had to RMA it last week
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #131
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Thumb

Quote:

That was the problem, gawd how stupid am I? I totally forgot about that aspect, yes it now works as advertised!

Thanks All!!

Old 04-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #132
atgatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
Anyone have any ideas on how one might hook up an iphone and a hero 3 black via wifi... then pair the iphone with a Sena SMH10 to get bluetooth microphone capability? Is it even possible? Maybe the microphone jack on the hero needs a bluetooth device on it? or maybe plug the hero mic cable into the iphone? No idea... just started thinking about this.

Otherwise... anyone have a simple 3.5 jack mic they can recommend that mounts inside a helmet?

BOOM!

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...back-for-gopro
atgatt is offline   Reply With Quote