ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #16156
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycorp View Post
Holy crap man, thanks for laying it all out for me! So do i take the inspection sticker off the fork, or will it already be in the DMV database as inspected?, it was registered in the previous owners name up until last month.

Somehow I found a matching bill of sale with a lower price, and will use that.
I doubt bike inspections go into a computer, they're handwritten into a book at the dealership or inspection station unlike computerized car inspections.

The sticker itself is just on the bike, looks the same if the previous owner owns it, or the new owner. By law, the bike should be inspected anew within ten days of registration. I doubt many people do if there is an existing sticker with some time on it.

From NYS DMV site:

Safety Inspection

How often must I get a vehicle inspection?
All vehicles registered in New York State must get a safety inspection and an emissions inspection every 12 months. Both inspections are also required when the ownership of a vehicle is transferred. (Some vehicles are exempt from emissions inspections.) Both inspections are done at the same time by a DMV-certified inspector at privately-owned inspection stations licensed by DMV.
If you buy a vehicle from a NYS dealer, the dealer must have the vehicle inspected. The inspection must occur within 30 days of the date of sale and prior to delivery.
You will receive a ten day inspection extension if you buy or get a vehicle from someone other than a NYS dealer. After you register the vehicle in NYS, you have ten days from the date of registration to have the vehicle inspected. Any inspection issued to the previous registrant is not valid after you register the vehicle.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #16157
SPEIRMOOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEIRMOOR View Post
You dont need the bill of sale.For $1500 and an '85 bike the DMV's not going to care. DMV goes by the amount thats written on the Title so the less thats written down the less tax you pay.
TengaiJohn is correct,the amount you paid is not on the title.
FYI for the last ten years I've used a broker. All he needs is the title, a copy of your license,proof of insurance and a blank check made out to DMV. In and out in 15mins and return next day or day after at the latest and pick up your plate from him. He charges $35 for his service.
SPEIRMOOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #16158
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 23,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
THANK YOU! I'll be able to visit once I have all this heated gear wired up.
There's also a WW Grainger on Varrick between Houston and Canal. But get the app and order it online, then go pick it up. For as big as their building appears to be, the don't have anything I need in stock. Butt splices maybe different though, although you might be trying your luck for anything <16ga.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #16159
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Also, I bought the bike upstate and it has a current inspection, would I need to have it re-inspected? I got the impression I had 10 days to do so after registration?

Thanks in advance.
~~ Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post

Keep the sticker if inspection is current, it goes with the bike not owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
From NYS DMV site:

Safety Inspection

How often must I get a vehicle inspection?
All vehicles registered in New York State must get a safety inspection and an emissions inspection every 12 months. Both inspections are also required when the ownership of a vehicle is transferred.
My experience in NYS has always been that a new inspection is required when ownership is transferred, though I doubt an LEO on the side of the road would care much about anything more than seeing a current sticker.

Of course, I'm now a FL resident where vehicle inspections and motorcycle insurance, for that matter, are not required. So those of use who choose to carry insurance have to pick up the slack in the form of ridiculously high premiums, for those who choose to ride uninsured.

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy

TipsyMcStagger screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 11:34 AM
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #16160
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,119
DMV gives you a sticker that says you have 10 days to do an inspection but like Brad said, I doubt a LEO would know the difference...
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #16161
Detale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
IMHO although you are supposed to get a new inspection the sticker is the same. There's no way a LEO could know as there are no electronic records of it being done at all. Like someone said, they write down your VIN number somewhere. However If it concerns you that much then $6 for piece of mind is worth it I think. Personally when I've bought a bike that had a current sticker on it I let that sucker ride till April. All MC stickers expire in April here, so lets say you bought a bike in March then you are supposed to get the inspection in march then again in April. We're already in January so if it were me I'll let it be.

EDIT: Speedo's quote is concerning auto inspection. We don't need emissions. For motorcycles I found this on the DMV site:

Quote:
REGISTRATION, INSPECTION, INSURANCE
Unlike most other motor vehicles, motorcycles are registered for one year rather than two, and all motorcycle registrations expire on April 30.
Motorcycles must be inspected at least once every 12 months at a station licensed by the DMV to perform motorcycle safety inspections. The station will display a yellow and black sign reading "Official NYS Motorcycle Inspection Station." Dealerships must inspect motorcycles prior to delivery. If purchased in a private sale, you will be given 10 days from the date of registration to have the motorcycle inspected.
Unlike other motor vehicles, liability insurance may be terminated on a motorcycle without first turning the plate in at a DMV office. This makes it easier to put the motorcycle back on the road after winter storage. However, under no circumstances may a motorcycle be operated on public highways without liability coverage in effect. This also applies to motorcycles registered out-of-state.

It doesn't say here that you must re-inspect the vehicle for a private sale, but I'll look around further.
Detale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #16162
jimmycorp
adventure lurker

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
TengaiJohn is correct,the amount you paid is not on the title.
FYI for the last ten years I've used a broker. All he needs is the title, a copy of your license,proof of insurance and a blank check made out to DMV. In and out in 15mins and return next day or day after at the latest and pick up your plate from him. He charges $35 for his service.
What's the advantage to using a broker ? Only difference I see is spending 15 mins with him instead of DMV', and no bill of sale. So does that guarantee minimal tax ? Am I missing something ?

About inspection, you guys are right. F it. April is around the corner and I wont be using her much. So I'll deal with it as it.

Anyone know if its "legal" for me to retrofit HID headlights and mirrors with built in led turn signals or will Leo/inspection have an issue with that too ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

jimmycorp screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 01:35 PM
jimmycorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #16163
Speedo66
Transient

Inspection stickers don't expire in April, registrations do. All vehicles need an inspection upon purchase, bikes are excluded from emissions, but still require a safety inspection. Who knows when they'll also require an emissions test?

In my experience, as long as something blinks, the inspectors don't check to make sure the turn signal is DOT compliant. Same for headlights as long as you have a high and low beam, and tail lights also have a brake light function when front or rear brake is hit.

All cops want to see is a current inspection sticker.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #16164
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Inspection stickers don't expire in April, registrations do. All vehicles need an inspection upon purchase, bikes are excluded from emissions...
+1

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #16165
SPEIRMOOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
What's the advantage to using a broker ? Only difference I see is spending 15 mins with him instead of DMV', and no bill of sale. So does that guarantee minimal tax ? Am I missing something ?
Not in this case as its a simple NY to NY transaction. Advantages are it just saves alot of frustration for me.DMV was never a 15 min visit in NYC from my memory. If I do go to DMV theres a 99% chance I'll make a mistake or not fill out something correctly . Alot of bikes I bought were from out of state without meeting the seller. Thats lots of different titles with different information than NY. The title may need to be notarized or something and the broker will advise on what needs to be done and push it through the DMV. Also the broker wont go to DMV if theres any doubt they wont register the machine.
SPEIRMOOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #16166
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,146
Quote:
Not in this case as its a simple NY to NY transaction. Advantages are it just saves alot of frustration for me.DMV was never a 15 min visit in NYC from my memory. If I do go to DMV theres a 99% chance I'll make a mistake or not fill out something correctly . Alot of bikes I bought were from out of state without meeting the seller. Thats lots of different titles with different information than NY. The title may need to be notarized or something and the broker will advise on what needs to be done and push it through the DMV. Also the broker wont go to DMV if theres any doubt they wont register the machine.
I've used services when there might be issues with the bike or title. They do them in bulk and usually slip them through if there is a minor issue.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #16167
Speedo66
Transient

It's a trip, but not a bad ride to go up to the Brewster DMV office, just off I-84 between I-684 and the Taconic. What makes it different is generally very short lines, sometimes none.

But more importantly, they are a Putnum county clerk's office which does DMV transactions, not a true NYS DMV office, and they have let things slide which a real state DMV office never would.

"Oh it looks like your insurance company made a mistake on one number in your VIN on the insurance card, we'll just change that by hand". And others which would never fly normally. Plus, the workers don't have that DMV worker combative attitude. I used to go there all the time when I lived in NY up until this year.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #16168
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,602
Quote:
Inspection stickers don't expire in April, registrations do. All vehicles need an inspection upon purchase, bikes are excluded from emissions, but still require a safety inspection.
Actually no, if the vehicle you just bought has a valid inspection you do not need to get another one until it expires. Inspection goes with the vehicle, not the owner\buyer\seller.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #16169
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

All FL vehicle registrations (except commercial vehicles) expire annually on your birthday. I just renewed five registrations this morning. I was in and out in less than ten minutes. More than once, I'd barely read the "A25" on my ticket before I heard, "Now serving, A25." :)

Quite a bit different than 125th Street

Tipsy

Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #16170
Speedo66
Transient

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Actually no, if the vehicle you just bought has a valid inspection you do not need to get another one until it expires. Inspection goes with the vehicle, not the owner\buyer\seller.
Sorry, but that's not correct.

From NYS DMV site:

"You will receive a ten day inspection extension if you buy or get a vehicle from someone other than a NYS dealer. After you register the vehicle in NYS, you have ten days from the date of registration to have the vehicle inspected. Any inspection issued to the previous registrant is not valid after you register the vehicle."

I'm not saying lots of people don't just use the unexpired inspection sticker that comes with a vehicle, I did it myself, but legally you must have the vehicle reinspected.