User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
yotatoy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Eek Need some 250 class bike advice...

Well Gents, I sold the cruiser, sold the quad, sold the truck. Now its time to get my bike. I am wanting a 250cc class bike. I am wanting used to save money. I have 3 bikes I am seriously thinking about right now. Just wanting to get some opinions on which direction to jump. Fore warning I know opinions are like an a** hole, everyone has one and sometimes they stink... but SOMETIMES they smell like lavender... errr... I mean are useful and have helpful information. Please try to refrain from flaming this thread into a this brand vs this brand type thread.

I am planning on using the bike to do the MCCCT this summer and then it will probably be 80-20 road-dirt as it will be used for commuting to work and then occasional trail rides. I dont plan on jumping or motoX the bike, so an incredible suspension isnt paramount. I do have the feared shortmans syndrom, however I have owned and ridden a 97? CR250 when I was a teenager, I have ridden my tall cousins KTM125 on a few occasions, and I have sat tested my neighbors XR/XL 600s/650s and a boss mans KLR250 all with fairly comfortable results.

I currently have 3 different used bikes I am "considering" I will start off with the bike I am most serious about, then explain my reservations, then talk about the other 2 appealing bikes.

Bike #1 2008 WR250R

Specs: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/23616/...ha-WR250R.aspx

My Pros:
  1. The bike I have wanted for a while
  2. Well Maintained
  3. Already Piped
  4. 290 big bore kit for added power
  5. ease of having fuel injection
  6. 6 speed tranny
  7. very clean
  8. great price for one of the mythical pre-owned WR250R's

My Cons:
  1. Price is much higher then similarly sized 250cc bikes
  2. I am worried about reliability/longevity of big bore kit
  3. Did I mention it costs more then twice what I can get a KLR250 for?
  4. cost of repairing fuel injection (not really a huge concern to me, but a thought to consider)

Bike #2 2002 KLR250

Specs: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/570/Bu...ki-KLR250.aspx

My Pros:
  1. Costs 2k less then the WR that I really want
  2. Has a 6 speed?
  3. Seem to have a great reliability track record

My Cons:
  1. A bit rough and has higher miles then other bikes
  2. has stock pipe
  3. I am worried may be under powered for my commuting purpose
  4. rear DRUM brake, not a disk
  5. doesnt seem to have a great aftermarket availability, but I could be wrong...

Bike #3 2006 KLX250

Specs: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/23980/...i-KLX250S.aspx

My Pros:
  1. Bike is the "meet in the middle" of the other 2
  2. already piped
  3. looks clean

My Cons:
  1. More expensive then KLR
  2. not fuel injected?
  3. still wuite a bit of money, and if I am speding 2.5k might as well spend a bit moer to get what I want?

Let me finish by saying my pros and cons list are in no way, all-inclusive, just merely what I can think of at 0130 in the morning. I have been going back and forth in my mind about this WR for the last week or so, then the last 3 days I have been rolling around the idea of these other 2 bikes I found. I am going to go check out the KLR and hopefully the WR tomorrow. Just hoping to hear/read something here that will make this decision an easier choice for me.

Thanks in advance fellow inmates.
yotatoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,704
Edit: Skip my comment, I missed the part about the boss's KLR.

The KLR is kick-start, I believe. That may or may not matter to you.

Sarah

greer screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 03:30 AM
greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,447
If the bike you really want is the WRR, get the WRR
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #4
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
If the bike you really want is the WRR, get the WRR
+ 1.

OP answered his own question, IMHO.

XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:30 AM   #5
leftfield123
leftfield123

Oddometer: 38
heart vs wallet

If you can afford the Yamaha then get it and be happy. If you can't, then put it out of your mind and get the better of the other two.
leftfield123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Hmmm...choices, choices

I did a a three day trip on the MCCCT on my 2003 KLR250 and it did just fine in all parts except the sandy sections, of which there are many. The KLR250 is a little too heavy and a little too underpowered to be good in deep sand.

Having said that, the KLR250 is an excellent all around dual sport. Very reliable, six-speed trans, cheap to own and operate, great as a commuter on pavement, and decent on hardpack trails, dirt/gravel roads. I have two of them, in fact.
If you keep your eyes peeled, you can find very nice, realtively low-mileage examples for around $1600 down here in the Detroit area. You can find pristine examples with just a couple thousand miles on 'em for around $2000.

Both the KLX250S and the WR250R are going to be better bikes in the dirt. As you already know, the KLX250S has about the same power as the KLR250, but it also has a better, more modern suspension. If you can live with the relatively low power, it's a great bike by all accounts.

Have you considered a '98 or '99 DR350SE? These are street-legal dual-sports, with electric start and adjustable, dirt-oriented suspensions. Power level and weight is on par with a WR250R. Overall dirt capability is not quite WR250R level though, due to a somewhat flexy frame and swingarm. A very nice, low-mileage used model will set you back around $2000-2500.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
KickStart1
Lurking,with intent

Oddometer: 194
DR 350 definitely good stuff !
KickStart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
yotatoy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Eek

Thankyou all for the good info, Thanks to your help I now I had considered the DR 350 before (I always forget about that bike) and found a 97 DR350 in my area for 1700 obo... so I sent an email for pictures.

I guess like a few of you had mentioned, the WR is the bike I have had my eyes set on, but I have a bad habit of setting my sights on what I want and getting it regardless of whether its the best option. If the price points were closer in the bikes it would be a no brainer for me. But when I can get a KLR250 or DR350 for around $1500, I start to doubt whether I REALLY want to spend $3500+ on a bike when I can get something comparable for quite a bit less.

I will post back what I hear about this DR and hopefully get a test ride or atleast a look and inspection on the KLR and WR today.

oh and my post above, if it wasnt apparent, the pictures are from the CL ads of the ACTUAL bikes I am looking at, not just generics. And the ads are clickable links as well for the details. I also cant get over the care/mods on the WR for the price point compared with other WR's.

Cheers!
yotatoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
options

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotatoy View Post
Thankyou all for the good info, Thanks to your help I now I had considered the DR 350 before (I always forget about that bike) and found a 97 DR350 in my area for 1700 obo... so I sent an email for pictures.

I guess like a few of you had mentioned, the WR is the bike I have had my eyes set on, but I have a bad habit of setting my sights on what I want and getting it regardless of whether its the best option. If the price points were closer in the bikes it would be a no brainer for me. But when I can get a KLR250 or DR350 for around $1500, I start to doubt whether I REALLY want to spend $3500+ on a bike when I can get something comparable for quite a bit less.

I will post back what I hear about this DR and hopefully get a test ride or atleast a look and inspection on the KLR and WR today.

oh and my post above, if it wasnt apparent, the pictures are from the CL ads of the ACTUAL bikes I am looking at, not just generics. And the ads are clickable links as well for the details. I also cant get over the care/mods on the WR for the price point compared with other WR's.

Cheers!
At the end of last summer I was researching my next dual-sport, and the WR250R was high on my list too.

Based on WR prices I've seen in the past, I was thinking it would take around $3800 to get one in excellent shape. I always end up changing fluids, filters, tires, etc. when I buy a new-to-me bike, so that would have put a WR250R at around $4100, give or take. While that's certainly still in the affordable range, I'd feel guilty dropping that much cash in an uncertain economy, without unloading another bike from my collection first.

Also, I'm no lightweight. At 230 lbs. I need all the torque I can get out of a dual sport. The WR250R is a bike that makes it's power high up in the rev range, and while that can be fun too, nothing beats low-end grunt when riding the trails. To make a long story a little shorter, I've now got a very clean, very low-mileage '99 DR350SE with all new fluids, filters, tubes, tires, bars, grips, etc., and I've got about $2800 into it. It's such a step up in power and handling from my KLR250's that I couldn't be happier. Good luck with your choice!

HandKPhil screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 04:36 PM
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote