ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #46
thump_co
..ouch
 
thump_co's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: 8532'
Oddometer: 2,017
Drew - I was talking to Nate over at Bullet Proof this afternoon and asked him about doing some GG red. He said the ones he did before (assuming the ones on modette's) were a couple custom order sets for a guy in CO Springs. Deal is he can do the red, but it cost him an extra $80 for the custom anno setup. Plus side is he can do up to 4 sets in a run, so if you can get 3 other guys together then it's only $20 extra per person.

Other caveat is warranty. He'll still honor the crash replacement warranty on them, but you'd have to cover the $80 again if you wanted a red replacement, otherwise it would have to be silver or black.

Btw - BPD absolutely kicks ass. One of mine took a pretty big hit at EX last fall that dented in the side, and he's replacing for free. All I have to cover is the shipping on returning the damaged one (which he repairs the best he can and uses to hook up racers or other riders in need). I'll be happy supporting this guy every time I need guards in the future.

Btw.. you should get the Hyde combo pipe/skid now, while your pipe is still dent free. Here's what it looks like on a GG 300:

__________________
Ride

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #47
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer
 
mylsmkj's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Wallowa County, Oregon
Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post

7 Mile Rim: A great girl ride!
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #48
thump_co
..ouch
 
thump_co's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: 8532'
Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylsmkj View Post
7 Mile Rim: A great girl ride!
Hey.. That was my 2nd trail ride ever on a dirtbike. Jim and John there were trying to teach me some technique near our campsite.

Very first one was Sovereign, the day before. Another nice girl ride.

__________________
Ride

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #49
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer
 
mylsmkj's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Wallowa County, Oregon
Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Hey.. That was my 2nd trail ride ever on a dirtbike. Jim and John there were trying to teach me some technique near our campsite.

Very first one was Sovereign, the day before. Another nice girl ride.

I was just BS'n after all your man card talk.
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #50
thump_co
..ouch
 
thump_co's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: 8532'
Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylsmkj View Post
I was just BS'n after all your man card talk.
Well, I was deeply wounded.

Was just about to go grab a gallon of chocolate ice cream, curl up in front of the TV and watch sad movies for the rest of the day.
__________________
Ride

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #51
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer
 
VxZeroKnots's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Durango CO
Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Well, I was deeply wounded.

Was just about to go grab a gallon of chocolate ice cream, curl up in front of the TV and watch sad movies for the rest of the day.


Yeah, I'm going to run these EE one's since they are on there and see what happens. I'll upgrade to the BPR if there are any issues. I get the whole Hyde skid/guard combo, but it is just so damn ugly. Thinking about getting one of those carbon deals since the bike comes with a nice frame skid and I just won't hit rocks where the pipe is .

Enjoy your afternoon of romantic comedies, good thing you probably already have midol in the house
__________________
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #52
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Yeah, I'm going to run these EE one's since they are on there and see what happens. I'll upgrade to the BPR if there are any issues. I get the whole Hyde skid/guard combo, but it is just so damn ugly. Thinking about getting one of those carbon deals since the bike comes with a nice frame skid and I just won't hit rocks where the pipe is .

Enjoy your afternoon of romantic comedies, good thing you probably already have midol in the house
The hyde sure is ugly but it'll save ya some $$ in the long run. Unfortunately I've proven that you can dent a pipe right through the carbon guard, esp in Moab I don't crash much but I guess I'm pretty good at it.

Getting ready to put pipe #3 on the 300 and I'll be getting the hyde just cause I'm sick of buying pipes, had one fixed but it's sort of hit or miss on how well it fits afterwards.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #53
pwrtrippin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Woodland Park,CO
Oddometer: 401
Because of modette I had to buy a 300exc out from under lomax.
__________________
Me for a Politically Correct free America.

There is nothing manly about tassels.
pwrtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #54
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer
 
mylsmkj's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Wallowa County, Oregon
Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
The hyde sure is ugly but it'll save ya some $$ in the long run. Unfortunately I've proven that you can dent a pipe right through the carbon guard, esp in Moab I don't crash much but I guess I'm pretty good at it.

Getting ready to put pipe #3 on the 300 and I'll be getting the hyde just cause I'm sick of buying pipes, had one fixed but it's sort of hit or miss on how well it fits afterwards.
Front wheel placement is everything on logs and ledges! Ever tried the water and freezer method of popping pipe dents?

mylsmkj screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 05:20 PM
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #55
thump_co
..ouch
 
thump_co's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: 8532'
Oddometer: 2,017
My experience with the P3 CF guard is that it's thick enough to stop most the dents but then the force transfers to the mounts and it just tweaks the hell out of the whole pipe. I've had to pull mine off and untwist it more times than I can count now and it's the heavier gauge ProCircuit. When it does get gnarled up it'll also destroy the pipe o-ring and the rubber grommet mounts. I even installed the EE exhaust flange protector because it came so close to getting tweaked a few times.

Reality is unless you take it slow like mylsmkj () then you're going to catch random sniper rocks and without something like the Hyde to brace it then the pipe has to absorb the hits somehow.

Gotta run. Bridget Jones's Diary is about to start.
__________________
Ride

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #56
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: southcentral PA.
Oddometer: 1,983
I have a 2011 EC 300 electric and after changing the rear spring and respringing and valving the fr forks for riding basically nothing but rocky terrain the only complaints I have are getting parts, the kickstand mount has broken off,and the electric start is iffy. It won't start it when cold,after its warm its ok but it kick starts easy. Jetting seems spot on but its a thirsty beast and I have installed the Acerbis fork tank and like it except when it's full I get leakage around the cap on the bikes tank no matter how tight I make the cap.After a half hour or so it stops leaking.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #57
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer
 
mylsmkj's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Wallowa County, Oregon
Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post

Reality is unless you take it slow like mylsmkj () then you're going to catch random sniper rocks and without something like the Hyde to brace it then the pipe has to absorb the hits somehow.

.

Go slow or get a tow,that's what I always say!
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #58
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylsmkj View Post
Go slow or get a tow,that's what I always say!
I rarely get out to your neck of the woods so when I do, I try to ride like you locals, my pipe suffers
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #59
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer
 
VxZeroKnots's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Durango CO
Oddometer: 2,552
Well I got to actually ride my bike on dirt today and after fiddling a little with the air screw and completely ignoring sag height, bleeding the forks, and the clickers I have to say you are going to be blown away by how your bike corners modette. It is absurd, like being on a rail. Sand whoops? Not exactly it's specialty but thats fine with me.
__________________
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #60
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider
 
AteamNM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Sandia Mountains New Mexico
Oddometer: 3,484
Gas Gas -meh.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014